world economic forum,nyc jan31-feb4

boxcarwilly

CALL FOR AN ANTI-CAPITALIST CONVERGENCE AGAINST THE WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM IN NEW YORK CITY (JANUARY 31- FEBRUARY 4)

JOIN US AS NEW YORKERS STRIKE BACK AGAINST CORPORATE TERROR

For years now, the CEOs of major corporations, hundreds of top international government officials and just plain rich people - from Bill Gates to Bill Clinton - have been meeting every year in Davos, Switzerland. This is where the real rulers of the world give the politicians their marching orders. This is where the schemes that lead to atrocities like GATT and the WTO are actually hatched. And this year, the dining club for the world ruling class will be held at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in Midtown Manhattan.

The WEF is moving here because they were effectively chased out of Switzerland by a concerted campaign of direct action. They think that here in New York we're shell-shocked, punch-drunk, and maybe we are but - whaddya fuckin' kiddin' me?

This is a provocation. While thousands of New Yorkers are still burying their dead, trying to patch together shattered lives, and desperately trying to see how they can continue to pay insanely high New York City rents after being laid off from their jobs, the richest and most powerful men on earth have decided to come and party on the wreckage - to celebrate, no doubt, the billions of dollars of taxpayer money they've just been handed by their respective governments and explore new opportunities to profiteer from permanent global warfare. Do they think we have no pride? No self-respect? That we're just going to sit back and let this happen?

As our heroic firefighters have shown us, the moratorium on direct action in New York is over.

We are calling for for a joyous, creative resistance to the WEF's stifling grey culture of corporate conformity; actions whose diversity of tactics will reflect the rich diversity of our city's communities. We are calling for actions based on principles of non-hierarchy, passionate opposition to patriarchy, white supremacy, and rule-by-elite, and the vision of a world in which no one has to live in fear or daily terror. We are calling for a world in which states and their wars, the economic violence and insecurity promulgated by their corporate overlords, the hideous legacy of 500 years of colonialism and racism, and the violence and intolerance of every kind of crusader and religious fanatic will finally be banished from this earth.

It's not a pipe dream. Nothing is impossible if we refuse to live in fear.

WOULD YOU CARE TO JOIN US IN A SOCIAL REVOLUTION?

RSVP

Waldorf Astoria Hotel

New York City

January 31-February 4

anticapitalist convergence website.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

personally i guess i could be considered an anarcho-communalist (not communist) do i think it would ever work in our culture, NO. do i firmly believe that thecapitalist system is overly oppressive not only to workers but to consumers, brainwashing and living wage go hand in hand.

my political thoughtstream is basically what we have doesnt work, MORALLY it kills: children, animals, families, love. so something has to give.

thev fucked thing is that the cops are going to be extremely ready to kick ass and initiate mass arrest. they dont want previous riots and destruction to occur in NY. they will be fueled with this urgency to keep ny safe and the cops are going to take it out on us.

be safe

motivated group of young people with no unifying plan!

confusion.

Guest MR BOJANGLES

when i was younger i used to be all about anti-capitalism, but...i dunno man, maybe "the man" has gotten to me but all i think that we need to introduce to our economic structure is socialized medicine and education. ive learned from growing up DIRT POOR... work hard, get what you deserve. ive seen all levels of results from the bottom to the top. im somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by ultraflat

thev fucked thing is that the cops are going to be extremely ready to kick ass and initiate mass arrest. they dont want previous riots and destruction to occur in NY. they will be fueled with this urgency to keep ny safe and the cops are going to take it out on us.

be safe

motivated group of young people with no unifying plan!

confusion.

this has been thought of discussed plannedout, it is why there is mobilization work shops prior to the forums. nyc is the meccaof globalization and lately destruction... they will be ready but so can we.

once again...FAIR is on point.

Subject: [FAIR-L] NY Papers Smear Activists Ahead of WEF Protests

To: FAIR-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

FAIR-L

Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting

Media analysis, critiques and news reports

MEDIA ADVISORY:

NYC Newspapers Smear Activists Ahead of WEF Protests

January 28, 2002

In a few days, the World Economic Forum will hold its annual meeting, an

elite gathering of what the WEF calls the world's "top decision-makers"-- in

other words, big business leaders and government officials. The event

usually takes place in Davos, Switzerland, but will be in New York City

this year (January 31- February 4), ostensibly as a gesture of solidarity

after the September 11 attacks.

Many globalization critics identify the WEF as a nerve center for neoliberal

economics, and past WEF meetings have been the focus of significant protest.

This year's meeting promises to be no exception, and local media are serving

up some of the same distortions that have greeted past globalization

protests.

Mainstream New York City newspapers have tended to frame discussion of the

demonstrations in terms of their status as a security problem. A search of

the Lexis-Nexis database (12/1/01 - 1/28/02) found that most articles in the

New York Daily News, New York Post, New York Times and Newsday mentioning

the WEF have focused on police preparations for the protests. As a result,

the political debate over the WEF has been obscured, as have concerns about

police brutality and civil liberties.

Though the New York Times and Newsday didn't manage to overcome this skew

toward security questions, it should be noted that both papers provided more

substantive coverage that did the Post and the News. Commendably, Newsday

steered clear of the vitriol that has characterized some of its competitors.

One recent Newsday article, "Activists: We Come in Peace" (1/25/02), focused

on the protest organizers' endorsement of non-violence and concerns about

potential police brutality; another (1/27/02) attempted a serious overview

of recent political controversies over globalization.

Contrast this approach to one particularly vicious editorial from the New

York Daily News (1/13/02), which referred to anti-WEF activists as "legions

of agitators," "crazies," "parasites" and "kooks." The paper threatened

activists, saying "You have a right to free speech, but try to disrupt this

town, and you'll get your anti-globalization butts kicked. Capish?"

The Daily News compared critics of the WEF to the terrorists who attacked

the World Trade Center. "New York will not be terrorized," declared the

paper. "We already know what that's like. Chant your slogans. Carry your

banners. Wear your gas masks. Just don't test our patience. Because we no

longer have any."

It's hard to read such rhetoric as anything other than an attempt to

manipulate New Yorkers' legitimate anger and grief over September 11 in

order to whip up a backlash against dissent. Unfortunately, the Daily News

wasn't the only New York paper to attack activists in these terms. Much WEF

coverage has been dominated not by serious reporting, but by unsubstantiated

commentaries that portray activists as violent thugs.

New York Times columnist Clyde Haberman (1/19/02) described globalization

activists as people "less known for their deep thinking than for their

willingness to trash cities," saying "some would say that New York needs

this [protest] about as much as it needs another airplane attack."

In an account of an extremely friendly interview "over a light beer at

Lanagan's" with former New York City deputy police chief John Timoney, the

New York Post's Steve Dunleavy (1/18/02) asserted that planned protests are

"a potentially scary scene, promised by little nasty twits." The column was

titled "Econ Summit Brings Own Terror Threat."

"There are some very serious bad guys out there," Timoney told the Post,

"and I am not talking about Osama bin Laden. We are talking about pretty

sophisticated bad guys." Though Timoney seemed to be making the outlandish

suggestion that globalization activists are as dangerous as international

terrorists, Dunleavy relayed the claim uncritically, following up with a

tough-guy endorsement of Timoney's prowess: "Timoney, like most cops, has

been beaten and shot at by punks all his life."

The ease with which commentators equate activists with terrorists has its

roots in the mainstream media's rewriting of the history of U.S.

globalization protests. Recent articles about the WEF have referred to

previous, overwhelmingly peaceful globalization protests in Seattle,

Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Philadelphia as "window-smashing,

flame-tossing spectacles" (Daily News, 1/24/02), "violent mayhem" (New York

Post, 1/20/02), "radical protesters rampag[ing] through the streets...

clashing with police" (Daily News, 1/18/02), "wild protest melees" (New York

Times, 1/25/02), and, simply, "violent" (Newsday, 1/18/02).

It's true that violence has been a problem at globalization protests, but

the majority of it has been initiated by police, not protesters. The

November 1999 WTO protests in Seattle were characterized by unprovoked

tear-gassing, beating and unlawful arrests of peaceful demonstrators (and

even of bystanders), and a National Lawyers Guild investigation

characterized the Seattle violence as a "police riot." The American Civil

Liberties Union has expressed alarm over police abuses at globalization

protests, and in more than one case filed suit against law enforcement

authorities over the issue. Yet time and again, media have distorted events

to suggest that police force was a necessary response to "violent"

activists. (See Extra!, 1-2/00 and 7-8/00.)

When coverage is dominated by news and commentary that presents lawful

political assembly as a terrorist threat-- a threat that the police "know

what they have to do" to deal with (New York Post, 1/18/02)-- it has a

chilling effect on dissent, raises tensions between police and the public,

and risks creating a climate where law enforcement agencies feel able to

exercise force against demonstrators with impunity.

For independent coverage of WEF issues and protests, visit the New York City

Independent Media Center: http://nyc.indymedia.org/

For links to protest organizers, visit the Mobilization for Global Justice:

http://www.globalizethis.org/

----------

I get the feeling I'm gonna wake up tommorow morning, flick on the TV and see some serious shit happening on CNN.

"I get the feeling I'm gonna wake up tommorow morning, flick on the TV and see some serious shit happening on CNN. "

i hope so....i just hope that the message doesnt get lost in the chaos...revolting is a necessity sometimes...however, if the message is lost it becomes damaging to the overall cause...im trying to make an appearence....im gonna down that way this weekend...my girl is kinda spooked by the whole thing so we will see...anyways bump, cause theres more to life then our own little worlds....be cool boxcar, and be safe....

r

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by beardo

i've got my own little world to worry about first. have at it.

with all due respect

people who think like this get me heated

hahhahahaha

we should hash it out in private

lunch?

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

with all due respect

people who think like this get me heated

hahhahahaha

we should hash it out in private

lunch?

date

ok..yeah capitalism is so evil

but what about bill gates giving away 24 billion dollars a week ago?

and when is the last time the government gave them money, exactly..i seem to remember them being INVESTIGATED by the government..

and by the way..with a president like bush, put in office by a democracy (supposedly) no amount of protest will change much

...ya gotta be more specific..what did bill gates just donate to that the governemtn wouldnt?....

...and microsoft was being investigated for anti-trust practices which they were found in contempt of, so what were you trying to say...

"and by the way..with a president like bush, put in office by a democracy (supposedly) no amount of protest will change much"

....this is rationalization....

confused

me

***yeah i edit for mis-spelling***

i dont know if i am going and this is something i really wanted to go to, in ways i think that the complete mediablackout of nyc has already started, did anyone read about the multiple civil rights protests early on in the week where arrests have already been made... nope wasnt on the news... and what were these protests for... "anyone in groups of 3 or more wearing black masks will be detained"

what is the reason i wear a mask at a protest, not because if i throw a birck their cameras will have me, besides solidarity masking and disguising is anonymity even if i am walking peacefully... you dont need to know who i am you need to know i am an anarchist, that i believe in something that i stand up for not that i am just some trouble making kid... do anarchists have an "image problem" like the papers have been saying yes. that is the point... we are not here to look good or be nice... anarchy is a revolutionary perspective on social change do we need calvin klein designing our "uniforms" or corporate spokespeople no. that is what we are against, and to live in a country that affords us the liberty of so-called free speech,thought and assembly; well recent events and news have all but taken that away yes i have this forum to voice i have several others... butreuters and ap dont get that...

in fear in love for my life and that of my family and friends i may not be at wef this weekend and for this i regret social convention and ties. but throwing bricks and fire and screaming slogans at some giant party is basically asking for it... there is a revolution going on, there is alot of things being done...

all i ask from everyone who reads this is to reread it and get news from sources other than cnn... because some shit is hitting the fan and this weekend will be a prime example... whether i am there or not is not the question but i will try to keep you posted from what is happening....

in flames.

jobeone.blackendeyescollective.

Originally posted by mental invalid

...ya gotta be more specific..what did bill gates just donate to that the governemtn wouldnt?....

..and microsoft was being investigated for anti-trust practices which they were found in contempt of, so what were you trying to say...

"and by the way..with a president like bush, put in office by a democracy (supposedly) no amount of protest will change much"

....this is rationalization....

confused

me

***yeah i edit for mis-spelling***

you are a mental invalid..

bill gates just set up health care for the world's poorest, and put up 24 billion, without any governments help...our country hasn't done half that for the starving and needy in africa....newsweek cover article

the point about microsoft being investigated is to show that big business and gov't are not always in bed together..stereotyping is dangerous, no matter who it is applied to.

my point about bush was not to rationalize, but to show that the vast majority of americans do not care about problems with the regulation of big business, and how that effects humanity and the environment...if they did, ralph nader would probably be president.

big business may need to change, but the attitudes of the people need to be more in line with that change before anything happens.

...and misspelling is not a hyphenated word

......um, i guess you got me pegged, but really your point was misleading, as you so mockingly and intelligently pointed out my screen name perhaps it was my on fault...so for those of us who are not as bright, lemme explain in more detail....he did not donate the lump sum of 24 billion...rather it is part of the bill and melissa gates foundation....i thought thats what you were refering to....ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you went beyond the cover which was "Theyre giving away 24 billion and heres why?"....the foundation that you are refering to is wonderful project that has gone beyond the scope of the initial vaccination goals....it began in 98 with 100 million, which was soon bounced up with another 750 million and it was tied to the Global Alliance for Vaccines and increased it funding to 1.2 billion....they have branched beyond this goal and now attack issues which include infant mortality, aids, and technological gaps...one of the major impacts it has had is in its streamlining and develpoment of a new business model for foundations...it is not a hand fed...rather it serves as an initiative and requires active participation on the part of the governments it is helping...it a great foundation and has done wonderful things...for a man that is worth almost 50 billion dollars, giving the fluctuation of the market, he has put his money where his mouth is (although melissa is the reason he has gotten into this are to begin with)...i myself have used this is defending bill gates to an extent, even thought in other areas i find him to be somewhat of a scary figure....and a foundation can not excuse immoral business practices...

okay so now thats cleared, lets discuss this lumping of all the participants involved in the world economic forum as the equivalent to bill gates. it is not logical stance and is more rhetorical then anything...this is a protest and a meeting beyond the scope of bill gates...he just happens to be keeping his drive for global market share in check...to defend capitalism alone with the name of bill gates is not a rational arguement either....one man does not make up a whole economic theory...not only that but alot of people are not against the economic theory of capitalism either...its not capitalism that is the problem, rather it is the capitalists...i for one find it to be the best economic model to fit into the theory of democracy...i just feel that there needs to be certain protections on levels such as child labor, government corruption, and environmental impacts...that and the idea of a small handful controlling the many does not sit well with people...again the arguement that is to be made is not about capitalism, its about globalization and its unchecked rampage.....

"i seem to remember them being INVESTIGATED by the government."

"the point about microsoft being investigated is to show that big business and gov't are not always in bed together..stereotyping is dangerous, no matter who it is applied to."

okay now im really confused...i am a mental invalid....but you jumped tangent and i missed the cross road...however you wanna cut it, the fact is that microsoft has been found guilty...an i think youre confused, this is not just a federal matter, rather it also a group of states and businesses that were suing micosoft...there are still a handful of states that have not signed off and will continue with further hearings...one of the deals microsoft tried to strike was a billion dollar donation to schools for computer and software, but everyone saw through that, and really it was just a lame attempt for microsoft to gain marketshare in the are of eduaction, which wouldnt ya know it apple is the current market leader...they quickly pulled the proposal....im not for splitting microsoft up but there are injustices that need to be corrected...and if you dont think they were happy when the bush adminstration came to office then you need to remove the wool.....

okay im almost done, youll excuse me for being an idiot but i need some more things cleared up....

"my point about bush was not to rationalize, but to show that the vast majority of americans do not care about problems with the regulation of big business, and how that effects humanity and the environment...if they did, ralph nader would probably be president.

big business may need to change, but the attitudes of the people need to be more in line with that change before anything happens."

okay now it seems here youve switched arguements....first youve implied that bush will not make any moves against globalization, so what good does it do the little man...i tried to see how i might of mis-read that, but i cant see it...this is the lazy mans arguement for change...a rationalization if you will....you then switch the arguement from bush to the masses...okay, but i do not agree with your nader comment...if it were correct, me and a whole bunch of people i know would have voted for him...but we didnt, and no we are not proponents of big business...i agree with you completely, people need to change their attitude, an incredible uphill struggle...however, bill in kansas, is not doing as much harm as GE in the south pacific...bill from kansas, although maybe be buying a sweatwhirt, is not in control off sweatshops....attitudes with education can change, but regulation of business is easier to implement....

and if you dont think people care about humanity and big business, then see what the general perception of people is now over the whole enron debacle....

back to work, i hope that you will excuse my seemingly unintelligible answers

me-n-tal in-va-lid

(ps...i know about the rules of hyphenation, i just liked doing it that way)

Archived