Banksy is Britain's favourite ever painter

b0b

Banksy’s tongue-in-cheek daubs have featured on walls from London to New York.

More than 2,000 adults were asked to name their favourite painters or sculptor — and Banksy was the only living artist to make the top ten.

Mel Sherwood, editor of Homes & Antiques magazine, said: “It is both surprising and exciting to see Banksy at the top of this poll.

"His appearance in the top spot is reflective of the popularity of street art, which is a burgeoning collecting area.

"This enigmatic character has done so much to make art accessible — he takes it out of the gallery walls and on to the streets, literally.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2019/jul/15/banksy-brits-favourite-painter-all-time-status-deserved-secretive-stenciller-high-art-alienates

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9507075/banksy-britains-favourite-painter-poll/

Edited by b0b

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, Kults said:

Lines up with British taste.. or lack thereof...

kidding!!

...kinda ?

Oh no shit. As a rep from the uk I think I can say we hold a general opinion of fuck him...at least those of us that actually graff. Was talking to a fam friend the other day about art in general and she mentions ‘street art’ and ‘oh banksy...talented guy isn’t he, his graffiti no?’and I was like trying not to give myself away but was like ‘hell nah he’s not a writer and he’s some disrespectful fucktard’. Pretty subtle?. Can’t believe the idiot is so liked. Team robbo all the way ???

• Props 4

Got to say general public love him and think he is very talented.  Mainly as it is so accessible and at first glance seems quite clever & subversive.  All UK writers probably will hate him but wished they had his bank account! 

Just now, b0b said:

Got to say general public love him and think he is very talented.  Mainly as it is so accessible and at first glance seems quite clever & subversive.  All UK writers probably will hate him but wished they had his bank account! 

And is he still some big secret in terms of identity or is that been sorted out already? 

Someone needs to dig up the original thread on this. Would be crazy to look back on it after so many years and changes. 

7 hours ago, b0b said:

U like his stuff? Check out blek de rat - if ur into stencil art. Banksy copy’s all his stuff. It’s almost comical if it wasn’t so popular but it is, so it’s just sad. 

i actually appreciate political humor and seeing it on the street is okay I guess but honestly it’s coming from banksy so...Graff belongs on the streets yh, street art? It’s wierd. It’s contradictory. The fuckers want street art but not graff and that’s fucked up. Graff started that shit. Seeing banksy fuck graff  and then getting accepted by the public is such a spit in the face to the whole scene.

We concentrate more on celebrating robbo rly then thinking abt banksy tho we cbb wasting time on him lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, auf said:

Banksy is an activist working for the government to push a political agenda.  Maybe at one point he was a legitimate "street artist". When he got busted "they" made a deal not to expose his true identity, although he's been outed now, and in both of their favor made him famous for profit.  Giving him travel funds to spread his gospel among aspiring "street artists" and the public to sway their opinion on global crisis, further push the agenda.

They teach about him in art schools and feature him in cartoons. He's been in countless documentaries. He's part of a psyop to convey selected information to influence and ultimately the behavior of individuals.

Do you have any evidence on this? A link or something that goes into some detail? Curious about it.

• 5 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Limeliciouz said:

blek de rat

The OG. 

I'll have to dig for it but I watched a short film about a feud both were having.  Pretty interesting short which quickly explained who's who. 

Banksy pure copy cat.