Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
5 hours ago, Deine Mudder said:

Rise looked ok to be honest but did the dough maybe catch a draft later? Finished pizza loked like it did not go up well in the oven.

I have worked at 6 pizzerias in my illustrious career -

The crust needs to be a bit thinner, I think a touch of olive oil will help. The thicker crust doesn’t cook evenly because the oven is rather small. Too big and the pizza burns especially if it makes contact with the oven next batch I am shooting for thin crust and cook smaller pizzas.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

On 9/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, Magnum OPiss said:

Forgot to get a pic after I pulled the chicken but trust it was authentic pulled chicken bbq. 

Had 14 people over for a dinner party extravaganza 2weekends ago, was looking forward to the food pics to drop in here, my wife prepped for this all week. My wife didn't take a single picture, I didn't either. It's as if it never happened. lol

• Like 1

More so just not cost effective compared to store bought sausages, we used prime roast cuts and no filler (breadcrumbs/rusk etc) which made for a way better end product.. but in reality we could have gotten away with using waaaay cheaper cuts of meat 

This was our second time making them, the biggest thing we learnt from the first time was to keep everything as cold as possible, the second the meat warms up too much it gets sticky and gums everything up.. the other thing was getting the water ratio right in the meat which makes stuffing the casings a shitload easier

The process is pretty straight forward though, we have an cheap all in one sunbeam meat grinder/sausage stuffer
We usually aim for a 70/30 lean meat to fat ratio and go for a 50/50 pork and beef mix for flavour depending on what style we're making
Dice meat up into 1 inch cubes then run it through the grinder on a 13mm/coarse grind, refrigerate for a while, then mix in your herbs, seasonings and water 
Load up casings on sausage stuffer/grinder, we went with collagen casings instead of pig intestine this time which was a heap easier to work with I think
Then feed the mince back through and into the casings and twist them up as they come off 

We made up a smokey bbq rub mix, a chorizo style (to be cooked not cured) and some pork & fennel
Hoping to do some salami style and real chorizo ones in the near future to hang/cure for a while

• Like 1
  • Props 2

It was hard to not answer for you, I guessed choice chuck so I was close, but yea casings are expensive. I guess by collagen casings you meant artificial, those are good cause they are a consistent 20 mm, higher yield from 30mm for natural and I’ve tested it, and the smaller one actually “eats” better. If I do anything flavor foreword I use sheep casings cause it’s cheaper than beef, I love to keep it natural and doesn’t have a naturally savory finish. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1