Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Pommes de tere,  made famous by Joel Robuchon. Noted chef of the century before he passed a few years back. He used (his restaurants still use) La ratte potatoes, (small fingerling like) and butter in equal parts. So for every pound of potatoes there is a pound of butter. They are some of the most decadent rich mashed potatoes you'll ever have. I used to make these everyday at a spot I worked at some years ago. The chef that owned the joint had a farmer grow this type of potato specifically for his restaurant. Been doing them ever since. They are pretty simple in most regards, the mixing is the most important part. Over work the starch and you end up with greasy spackle. Under work them and they break, butter too warm they break. Let them get cold while folding in the butter they get gluey. Side note while alive Joel held more michelin stars than any other chef by a long shot. Cheers!!!

• Like 1
  • Truth 2
  • Props 2

5 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

@Mercerbison dogs?! intrigued 

Fucking delicious, they did a great job. Got some burger patties that were a mix between beef, and bison which is too lean by itself to make a good burger as well. Thinking about getting a quarter of grass fed cow from this same farm in Jan. Tough to pull the trigger on dropping a thousand dollar deposit for it though. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1
  • Pause 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Fucking delicious, they did a great job. Got some burger patties that were a mix between beef, and bison which is too lean by itself to make a good burger as well. Thinking about getting a quarter of grass fed cow from this same farm in Jan. Tough to pull the trigger on dropping a thousand dollar deposit for it though. 

small farms have had a hard year, if you have the freezer space i'd go for it on that alone. don't really eat beef anymore but 1/4-1/2 cow also tempts the value shopper in me 

• Truth 1

@Elena Delle DonneMost of our diet is plant based, I'm trying to move us away from that now and we end up dropping $25-$50 a week on meats. Still $1200 to $1500 on meat depending on the cow can be too much for us. Then I was thinking if this vax comes out out people start hanging out again we could just throw a couple BBQ's and never worry it will go to waste.@fat ralphyAgree that grass fed/free range is how farming should be done if you can afford it. Didn't drop the deposit while I was on the farm, but after sampling the burgers/dogs now I regret it and could be picking up my order next week. Probably going to have to wait until January now. 

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

11 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@Mercerbought an 1/8 of a cow last two years - homie has a grass fed farm in Sonoma.

I actually favor the fucked off Monsanto corn fed flavor of red meat (steak especially) versus the grass fed but I know its more responsible and better overall to support the small ranchers.

https://www.groundedgrassfed.com

Grass fed, grain finished is a nice way. Breed of cattle makes a big difference also, gotta have some Angus in there imo.

• Truth 1