Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I used to go to this place in Seattle https://goo.gl/maps/K9LtvsQQJcDu4aKF7

I tried a good selection of the menu but the chicken was the go to, they got inconsistent but I found a work around by telling them to not serve me a dry chicken. Every time the cashier would get this wounded look and say they would never do such a thing and I would have to play along and say that the ones I got in the past must have been outliers, and then they would say the wait would be a little longer than expected and get me a proper chicken. If I skipped the fucking preamble they would slip me a dry one. 

The chicken I made was good, the recipe is a good one and super fast and easy for the chicken, the sauce is a bit time consuming just to measure everything out and all, but is worth it. My wife has encouraged me to make the chicken and skip the sauce to make it an easy weeknight dinner but I can't do it.

BBQ would be solid, I should use my grill more but have to walk all the way around the outside of the house to get to it, miss the days of grilling on the deck or right out the back door.

The cuisine I want to learn is Portuguese, I spent a few months there as a young man and love the food. Can't get it in the US that I have found but up in Canada they got it cause of their different trip on immigration. That is where my love of the piri piri pepper comes from. 

3 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@NightmareOnElmStreetive been trying to make some free time to have my wifes grandma teach me her ways. Ive never tasted her grandmas biscuits but Ive heard they are the shit of legends.

There are few foods in the world that I love more than a homemade southern biscuit. I even die for bojangles. You just can’t get shit like that up this way. 

• Truth 1

Them are hashbrowns Mudder.

Here is how I do em

- Shred the potato, box grater is fine, food processor is faster but requires more dish washing

-Immediately place the shredded potato in cold water to rinse out the starch

-Strain the potatoes in a colander, then spread out onto a clean, rinsed, thin dishtowel or equivalent. Wrap the towel around the potatoes kind of like a burrito and wring out the whole affair to remove water and starch

-Place them in a bowl and toss in some salt

-Prepare a pan to medium or maybe medium high with butter and olive oil

-Spread the potatoes and form a patty, place a lid over the patty, like right over it, the diameter lid will need to be smaller than the diameter pan, this forms a little dome for the patty to steam and cook in

-Cook for like ten minutes or something till the crust on the bottom holds the patty together when the pan is jerked, you do not want to rush the jerking as if you do it early you will cause the patty to separate remove the lid 

-To flip put a upside down plate right on top of the patty, flip the pan so the patty ends up on the plate, cooked side up and then slide the patty back on the pan

-Cook until done, will be faster than the first side, add cheese if you are a teenager

Or make latkes

https://www.markbittman.com/recipes-1/latkes

I use this recipe, more or less, if you do not have breadcrumbs, flour is fine. I still wring out the potatoes because that is how I do it.

IMG_20200826_171249.thumb.jpg.bfc7f704f129aa67b1ab5551cc446159.jpg

Hanger Steak, Beet Greens, Gratin Potatoes

IMG_20200826_172628.jpg.ed8bb6a99abf7ef9e1c8c575f50eaa9e.jpg

Fuck it, I am not going to edit to rotate

• Like 3
  • Props 2

8 hours ago, morton said:

Them are hashbrowns Mudder

Ha, I was always under the impression hash browns are little chocolate cookies with pot in 'em 😅

Was actually going back pages trying to understand what friggin post you were referring to, haha!

Thanks for the recipe!

Now I understand this is some sort of Kartoffel-Puffer (here in Germany this done with more fat, eaten with sugar / apple sauce usually),

but I know our neighbours in Switzerland do them pretty much like you do ( they call 'em Rösti, as in "roasted" -

they like to eat them with salmon (gravlax) and sour cream for example).

I really like the cooking method, leeching out the starch beforehand, and then cooking them using the water that's in the potatoes themselves.

This is quite a similar approach to how I like to do Bratkartoffles (potatoes just being sliced in this case, and using a lid that seals the pan -

so more of the steam stays in there, as the bigger potato pieces need longer to cook obviously). 

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

To be clear, you want to remove the water, that is why they get twisted up in the towel, to squeeze the liquid out. When I was a teenager I squeezed the water out by the fistful with my hands then at some point i came up with a better approach.

They cook in oil but you don't need to much, not like with latkes where you are really frying them.

Sooo this happened the other night.. had the idea and was too lazy to make it until I was just high and hungry enough.. Two kodiak waffles (buttermilk & vanilla flavored), tyson chicken patty, one fried egg and 3 strips of maple bacon.. seems gross, tastes delicious.. @NightmareOnElmStreetI see your brefast sammie and I raise you this monstrosity of a sammich..

20200827_010725.jpg

20200827_011040.jpg

20200827_011308.jpg

• Like 3
  • Trash 1
  • Props 1