Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

IMG_20200728_180132.thumb.jpg.f3208d7f19dddd11da23bb1734abe73f.jpg

Peruvian Chicken, carrots, Cuban beans from the can and rice.

To make the rice through a bunch of minced garlic into a bunch of vegetable oil at med-high temp, saute but do not brown, add rinsed rice and saute that for a bit, not long, then add boiling water reduce to simmer cover and cook for 15 minutes. Ratio is 2:3 rice to water.

Peruvian Chicken recipe is from the NYT

The sauce is a bit of a pain but it's a crowd pleaser.

• Like 3
  • Props 4

1 minute ago, morton said:

Peruvian Chicken, carrots, Cuban beans from the can and rice.

To make the rice through a bunch of minced garlic into a bunch of vegetable oil at med-high temp, saute but do not brown, add rinsed rice and saute that for a bit, not long, then add boiling water reduce to simmer cover and cook for 15 minutes. Ratio is 2:3 rice to water.

Peruvian Chicken recipe is from the NYT

The sauce is a bit of a pain but it's a crowd pleaser.

Got aji peppers growing now to make the sauce for Peruvian chicken, and also for papas huancaina.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, morton said:

Heavy duty, if you are into peppers you should see if you can grow the peri peri pepper, the base for one of my favorite sauces.

I usually select 2 types of hot peppers to do each year.  This year I went with thai and the aji, and I have someone giving me jalepenos.  I do know the peri peri peppers but am less familiar with the cuisine they are paired with.  That's not a prerequisite for growing them though, so will likely get to them one year.

• Props 1

7 hours ago, Moe Szyslak said:

Whats the difference between asian cooking and regular cooking? Like what all goes into it and why do you need a wok to make stir fry instead of a regular pan?

There's plenty of Asian food that does not require a wok.  Woks are not limited to Chinese cooking but it is a Chinese thing.  In older times food was prepared in bite size pieces and eaten with chopsticks to avoid having knives and other stabby instruments at the table.  Smaller pieces lend themselves to high heat/flash in the pan style of cooking.

In terms of oil, sesame oil is either mixed in or added at the end for flavor.  Think peanut or other oil is more preferred for cooking because it has a higher smoke point.

Ingredients can vary widely but in general you'll see things like black or rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce (light or dark), corn starch or baking soda, ginger, green onion, garlic, rice wine, chili garlic sauce........

• Like 1

20 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Woks are not limited to Chinese cooking

This.

I use the "modern" type of woks for basically everything that does not need a really large, flat surface area (like Bratkartoffles).

That being said I do have a gas oven, not sure how well a wok would work for various cooking scenarios with a regular one.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1