Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Few from the last month or so.. Pork belly cooked on kamado rotisserie, whole lamb on the spit, seafood paella and fresh caught fish curry

Looking at all that good american BBQ food up there is inspiring me to get the Weber out and get grilling again now, its been a while

4D1F571A-1406-4BD8-862A-43D037990CDB.JPG

32D39AE9-EDBC-4724-8F66-55EDFC046BDE.JPG

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 6

Fresh heirloom arugula, red kale and scarlet lettuce from the garden, fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground Mediterranean Sea salt, organic extra virgin olive oil, balsamic glaze from Modena, aged shredded parmesan cheese, topped with local Montana beef cooked medium rare in butter and seared on cast iron. 

Pretty typical summer meal for us. Tasty, healthy and quick. Satisfying, but still crisp and somewhat light. 

45FFA003-693A-46ED-943E-3AD0E5B23709.thumb.jpeg.d1b5d1a3075f10c92db1bc7307a71a2f.jpeg

• Like 3

Quality ingredients... Here's what the daily raid on the coop looks like. For those that have never had a farm fresh egg, they’re wildly different than even quality eggs from the supermarket. They don’t need to be refrigerated and can last up to 3 months. If you coat them in a very light film of vegetable oil, they’ll last almost twice that. Anyhow, think something along the lines of a McDonald’s burger versus a steak burger from a nice restaurant. My kids won’t even touch store eggs anymore. 

9C425700-6F60-47FE-9C2B-BD1255E1D6F5.thumb.jpeg.1454e669b4013656541501151c108d28.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 4

18 minutes ago, misteraven said:

So looks like you did a sorbet? No cream? Haven’t tried that yet, if so. 

Not a sorbet, it’s a home made attempt at Cherry Garcia. Didn’t explain making it in a proper step by step, but in the sequence you can see the cream first getting an orange egg yolk strained into it. The next shot is the blended cherries getting folded into that. We marinated the cherries with some sugar and threw into a pan before blending them. The shot of the cherries getting pitted/chopped was me making the cherry chunks, only regret. It was a mistake not also marinating the cherry chunks in some sugar, and maybe even a little salt because they were not crystallized, but a little too frozen the next day. The ice cream itself turned out the best I’ve ever tasted to be honest, if that attachment makes another 20 mixes it pays for itself, from then on pure high quality food profit minus some cheap ingredients. Not sure what flavor is next but it’s going down this weekend. Hot as fuck late July NYC.

• Like 1

89FC1E69-8587-4A7D-B4E5-B521B8397AB7.thumb.jpeg.c5a00f25d102ad54af744398f75b0e66.jpeg

About to hook up another zucchini dish, this zucchini probably outweighs the entire plant. I’ve been crunching numbers on the plants that save us money, only the herbs have paid off so far. Unfortunately when you have to pay for planters, bags of dirt (and sales tax) it’s just a hobby. We also expanded the balcony gardens this year pretty much guaranteeing a 2019 overall loss.  Herbs by far are the best performers, and I could have just done that using an apartment window. Even this considerably productive zucchini plant (from a seed that cost pennies) is an overall loss, zucchini is cheap. As a city slicker I’ve never appreciated having actual dirt to plant in before, considering how most people just waste it on grass they mostly just look at. For now I’m stuck figuring out a tax free way to convert dirty money, into balcony dirt money and writing off the losses.

Edited by Mercer
Make it make sense
  • Like 1