Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

New Mexico Hatch Chilis being roasted.

They sell them green but we just have them roast for us there in this thing. Takes less than 5 minutes and they come out perfect, roasted off the street right down the block. These 'off the books' hatch Chili vendors are big out west, especially in New Mexico and Colorado. They're also in about every neighborhood here in Denver. The chilis themselves come from Hatch NM and the tradition started with Pueblo Indians, and was later refined by Hispanics in New Mexico into what it is today. 

9DAA026E-ACA9-4DD5-8786-9F9683BE73E3.thumb.JPG.f0a8b26579beff5b3efff8badc364d94.JPG

The outside turns black when they're roasted. Have to take them home and let them steam for 2 hours before processing. Copped an 11 pound bag here.

IMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.0490cd37ed9e50907efd237a6a9806d9.jpeg

Took my wife about 7 hours to de-seed, remove the charred skin. She processed this 11 lbs bag of roasted hatch chilis down to a little more than 7 pounds. 

Simmered 4 pounds of pork shoulder, with about a pound of cleaned/processed hatch chili for three hours. This "New Mexico style chili" is dope because it boils down to 90% meat chunks, 9% of these delicious hatch green chilis as a sauce, and 1 percent of cilantro, green tomatillios, a little garlic and that's it. It's literally the best chili you've ever tasted, we usually we make it with beef.

IMG_4786.thumb.jpeg.b1a30c3d366d6916586044b4ba1aefcb.jpeg

Homemade hatch chili hummus from scratch, every garbanzo bean was individually skinned so the hummus was extra creamy AF.

IMG_4788.thumb.jpeg.cc65f27913d45f91107f31ad8aa7d1db.jpeg

Leftover chili chopped and bagged on triple beams. Ended up with 6 lbs frozen for use this fall. The hatch chili guy that grills these down the street is only trappin until November, so we might need to re-up before winter.

IMG_4787.thumb.jpeg.5ece30ca5bf244513783457a48857d54.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 3

12 minutes ago, morton said:

How do you like that napkin holder? I have been meaning to pick one out, totally bogus how paper napkins just come in a wrapper, they should put them in a box that opens up to dispense.

It’s pimp it’s a simple human product I found at thrift store I have a ton of simple human shit at my place they make shit right.

• Truth 2

IMG_6381.thumb.JPG.3111c4ded29344ee1fd9ce7502ab0374.JPG

IMG_6384.thumb.JPG.8299aaf608295acadf803c412d8612cc.JPG

Took a shot at 2 Peruvian favs, papas huancainas and pollo a la brasa.  Top photo is boiled yellow potatoes in a spicy cheese sauce.  Too lazy to add some olives on top.  Sauce should be more yellow like the egg yolk but I used homegrown yellow Peruvian hot peppers instead of the traditional orange ones.  Chicken was served with a traditional spicy cilantro mayo sauce.  Next time will BBQ the chicken.  

Think yours looked better if I recall @morton

• Like 2
  • Props 2

On 9/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, morton said:

Spatchcocking or splitting is a must when roasting chicken in my opinion.

The papas looks correct how was the flavor of it all? That is what matters.

I get the idea that you have a Peruvian connection, have you been there?

Can't argue w/ how yours looked but whole/BBQ was the goal.  I've had the pollo a few ways but there's a place near me that does it on a charcoal rotisserie and that is my fav, so trying to replicate.

The papas was good enough for the first course of dinner and the next day's breakfast.  But not as I've known it before.  A little spicier, which was good, but not quite as smooth/creamy.  Also while it may seem like nothing, the traditional yellow color is very eye pleasing.  They put the aji amarillo sauce on lots of stuff, pasta, rice, risotto, will definitely try that too.  Should also mention I don't deep fry stuff, at restaurants I would also have fried yuca to dip into the yellow/green sauces.

I've never been to Peru and have no personal connections there.  I've been lucky to come from/live in an area that has a few Peruvian restaurants and when I lived in NYC I had some close by, as well as some other S American restaurants that would make a dish or two from other SA countries.  Separate but very related, their women are hot, I mean caliente.