Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Rabbit Hole

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 months later...

Just stumbled on this thread...

In regards to the flat earth thing, it’s an interesting story and a little scary. The origins of the resurgence of this line of thought stems from a security/ technology conference. There was a workshop that focused on the power and influence of disinformation and part of the workshop entailed working on a project to serve as a case study. The idea was to take a completely ludicrous concept and put it online as pseudoscience and then leverage social media to prove how people can be easily manipulated even when the subject defies logic (proving that it’s that much easier when the subject isn’t obviously ridiculous). In any case, after some brainstorming, they settled on the simple theme of flat earth. Then workshopped out some details based upon a template. Let it loose into the wild and allowed it to take on a life of its own. 

Now imagine how how much of all the other shit you see / read / hear, most especially on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, are simply supporting actors and content tools engineered with the intent to sway perceptions, opinions and positions. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Just stumbled on this thread...

In regards to the flat earth thing, it’s an interesting story and a little scary. The origins of the resurgence of this line of thought stems from a security/ technology conference. There was a workshop that focused on the power and influence of disinformation and part of the workshop entailed working on a project to serve as a case study. The idea was to take a completely ludicrous concept and put it online as pseudoscience and then leverage social media to prove how people can be easily manipulated even when the subject defies logic (proving that it’s that much easier when the subject isn’t obviously ridiculous). In any case, after some brainstorming, they settled on the simple theme of flat earth. Then workshopped out some details based upon a template. Let it loose into the wild and allowed it to take on a life of its own. 

Now imagine how how much of all the other shit you see / read / hear, most especially on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, are simply supporting actors and content tools engineered with the intent to sway perceptions, opinions and positions. 

It always amazes me at the stupid shit some people deceive themselves into believing.   My state seems to draw a lot of people that believe one stupid thing or another.    

Yesterday I met a guy sitting next to me and my wife at a bar.   Seemed cool.  He just moved here from South Dakota.    After talking to him for a little bit, I asked him what made him move here.   He said his church sent him to homestead.     Fucking cults.