Jackson's Summer Trip to America Suggestion Thread

Jackson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hello.

Been sleepin on my own thread.

I have booked 3 nights in Chicago for the 15th-18th JULY.

Recommendations please!

Gonna shoot off after that to the next spot but havent chosen it yet. Thursday til Monday at wherever. Weekend wibes, party town. Ideas?

Thanks!

As a former Chicagoan (always Chicagoan at heart), I can help out with this shit.

I'm not gonna get into the pizza place debate. I like Giordano's, sue me. Some like Malnati's. Either way, go to at least one of them.

Mexican - Zacatacos all day. The one I used to go to is on 59th & Pulaski though so that's a bus ride from the Orange Line, or a walk if you feel up to it. There might be other locations, not really sure.

Also pretty much any of the places on 26th in Little Village are good.

Chicago hot dog -- honestly, any place that uses Vienna Beef is gonna be GENERALLY the same. People like their neighborhood spots. Mr. J's on State just north of Chicago is one of my favorites.

Harold's Chicken -- definitely go here. There's a bunch of them.

The Wiener's Circle on Clark -- okay, admittedly this is more of a tourist/college kid thing. But I still stand by the fact that if you go in this place at 2am drunk (or high, whatever), it can be pretty damn funny. They're pretty good at talking shit. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zPlnhymCU

Places to party, it definitely depends on what kind of parties you like. Wicker Park is the hipster crowd, or at least it was the last time I was there. Admittedly it has been some time. You can always go to some neighborhood bar for a chill vibe and with a British accent I'm sure you'll find some people who find you interesting. Or some displaced old Polacks who wanna talk about Europe, who knows. Even though the places are vastly different, being in the same place almost halfway across the world makes it seem smaller. At least that is what I have seen when this kinda stuff happens.

Remember though the Blue & Red lines are the only ones that run all night (again, if this has changed in the past few years, correct me), pretty much all the other trains cut off at 1:30 to 3am. Something to keep in mind if you stay out late and are depending on the train to get back.

• Props 2

• 1 month later...

YOO. Thanks Kalashnikov, I am thinking of extending my stay in Chicago a little bit as there is a lot to do, and I met some quite fun Chicagians in london at a 'Soccer' - FOOTBALL game and they want to show me around so thats fun.

OK so update:

I have booked my flight back from San Francisco, 2 weeks after I am due to leave Chicago. So for the sake of argument I leave CHI on 21st JULY, my flight out of SF is on 5th AUGUST.

So I basically have 15 days to get from Chicago to San Francisco to catch my flight.

Which way would you go? I was thinking of flying to Seattle and then driving down that coast stopping off and taking my time. I also thought about doing Kansas - Denver - Vegas - Whatever. I don't mind hitchiking the whole way or greyhounding it or renting a convertible and just booting it all the way non stop.

Also, I may have a few nights in SF or nearby to relax and do some sunbathing and hanging out for my last few nights of the trip. Can anyone recommend a good neighbourhood that will make sure I am stumbling distance home from some dope nightspots etc. Maybe some straight friendly gay bars? I only looked at the map of SF today and was like yo thats weird its like a big bay, damn my georgraphy is shit, wheres the car chase area and all that, and where can I go to get HYPHY? Is that still a thing? YAY AREA. THANKS.

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

YOO. Thanks Kalashnikov, I am thinking of extending my stay in Chicago a little bit as there is a lot to do, and I met some quite fun Chicagians in london at a 'Soccer' - FOOTBALL game and they want to show me around so thats fun.

OK so update:

I have booked my flight back from San Francisco, 2 weeks after I am due to leave Chicago. So for the sake of argument I leave CHI on 21st JULY, my flight out of SF is on 5th AUGUST.

So I basically have 15 days to get from Chicago to San Francisco to catch my flight.

Which way would you go? I was thinking of flying to Seattle and then driving down that coast stopping off and taking my time. I also thought about doing Kansas - Denver - Vegas - Whatever. I don't mind hitchiking the whole way or greyhounding it or renting a convertible and just booting it all the way non stop.

Also, I may have a few nights in SF or nearby to relax and do some sunbathing and hanging out for my last few nights of the trip. Can anyone recommend a good neighbourhood that will make sure I am stumbling distance home from some dope nightspots etc. Maybe some straight friendly gay bars? I only looked at the map of SF today and was like yo thats weird its like a big bay, damn my georgraphy is shit, wheres the car chase area and all that, and where can I go to get HYPHY? Is that still a thing? YAY AREA. THANKS.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either route, my personal taste would def be to do Seattle southward fo sho.  SF is a lot now crammed into a small space.  If you enjoy garlic I'll suggest The Stinking Rose, I haven't seen too many places devoted to the flavor.  If you like Oysters I recall Hog Island down at the pier being pretty official.  Alcatraz.

• Props 1

Dolores Park

Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant

https://www.beachchalet.com/#new-page

https://goldengatepark.com/beach-and-park-chalet.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Chalet

Ocean Beach

Tommys Joynt

http://tommysjoynt.com/

Walk around upper & lower haight, mission, tenderloin, soma, Polk St. and go into every bar you think looks interesting for at least one drink.

Aces at 6am

http://www.acesbarsf.com/

Blooms Saloon in Potrero Hill.

Columbus Cafe in North Beach

Eddie’s Cafe on Divisadero for breakfast

Los Coyotes in the Mission for a late night carne asada California burrito.

Drink a bunch of Fernet and Anchor Steam.

• Props 1

• 5 months later...