Fuck Kings

Unregistered

If you think about what being a king really means, I think it's something most legendary writers wouldn't actually want to be called.

Almost all historical kings didn't earn their seat on the throne. They were given their title from a royal lineage, not because they shoveled shit for most of their life and deserved it.

Writers break their backs to get over, and have to earn it every step of the way. If I was one of these guys who are normally called kings, I think I'd rather be called some other shit.

Just a thought, and an unnecessarily over-analytical one at that. Feel free to assault me with rebuttal.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

historicly speaking, very few kings were deserving of the title, but graffiti is not a matriachy, and to become a king, you do have to earn it. and since writers are such jealous shit talking assholes, if you can make it to that level and be pretty much uncontested, you earned that shit.

notice though, that very, very few people since the days of the subway ever get refered to as kings. its not that they dont deserve some sort of recognition, i just think its that the game is different now a days. it might be harder on some levels now, but were also not inventing a whole new artform anymore. when the subways went down, graff lost a huge part of itself... one that freights will never be able to make up for...

or maybe not, who knows...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest REMY-MARTIN

in my perspective, kings is a outdated term for the most part..unless your reffering to KING 157. The majority of people I have met that I consider to be kings in my opinion are considerd that by me on a wide gauge for seperate reasons...I use the term fairly loosley and dont make it a part of my general graffiti vocabulary at this point.

For example if im talking to a "king" than im probably listening and hearing things i never heard which is really cool because the history of graffiti is largley not documented and when someone drops knowledge its always a blessing.

If im chillen with some cats I know that are prolly the "king" of my scene then were just chillen.

either way its largley based on opinion and i dont really care to debate it at this point, as far as who deserves king status and why. but thats my example of my definition....

seeking has a point..King is a term largley affiliated with Subway Graffiti, specificly new york. as far as using it, theres a ton of other terms so...its cool to honor subway and spraycan art for exposing the traditional slang...but new slang is where its at.

Guest imported_b0b

I Agree the term King is a bit dated, but that in turn begs the question: what term would you use for someone who would have previously earned the title King?

Also does anyone have a term for writers that definately aren't toys, that are up, but not shitloads. They aren't toys, but they aren't kings.. Kind of the graf equivalent of Middle Management.

it's good enough.

it's not like it's an official label or anything.

the only time i really say it is in a verb sense.

like if a cat had a city on lock for a few years, bombing wise... i'd say, 'that kid is kinging shit'

i guess it's a step above killing.

:king: It's not like someone goes home after a a night of bombing to his castle over looking all the city and all the little people. I agree although it's good to analyze subjects I think this one was way to over analyzed.

Remember the first part of Analyze is Anal.:king:

the only kings in my eyes are the ny writers whowere hittin subways in the early 80s or before. for example: cope2, seen, duster, dondi(rip), tkid, skeme, dez, pjay, cap, etc. i think writers now have made the term into something you give yourself. being a king is something that is given to you, not given to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoeHatesCops

hmm

i always considered kings like old school writers who are famous, and stuff, but i guess i have used it as slang, by saying oh that guys the king of a certain area, but its not the same level. you know hwat I mean.?? i honestly dont care though MOJO MAOS PUGET SOUNDIALECT

Guest montanaman

this thread sucks big time .... some one shouild king the guy that started this thread...... with an axe

Fuck the hierarchy shit, do what you do and big ups will follow, i hate my get up buddy because he cals himself king **** fucker is got skill put come on you dont have 2 be full of your self! Fuck a King And all self proclaimed lords!

the king of thailand is a cool guy. King Rama the IX, if you see this, i'm buying you a beer, eh. on a graffiti note, we're all kings in our own minds so who cares. its like a battle, both guys think they won. yaddy, yaddy, yah....oh, and stay off the freights kiddies, leave to the pros.

Guest drip one

fuck self proclaimed kings. but if you put in work and people see you as a king take it for what its worth.

I look at kings as the old school people like dondie, cope2, revolt all those peeps simply becuase they earned there tittle as a king. I aggree that the term is too widely used and we call to many people kings now days. The people that drop all the knowledge about the shit are not nessesarily kings in my opinion, don't get me wrong it's a blessing to talk to them and learn more about the game. I really only look at the kings as people that have been in the game for a long while.

Guest magali

damn, now people have problems with the title someone receives as 'king' , respectably theirs - it is something to be proud of any writer would love to be known as king, come on, stop the hating and give respect were its due. enough said.

Archived