New Screenprinting Facility - 12ozProphet 2019 and forward (personal rant and pseudo 12oz state of the union)

misteraven

This will be another one of my long rants slash life story type posts, so if you don't already have a coffee, a hot tea or a beer in your hand, take a minute to go grab one so you can kick back and sit through it all. Maybe a quick bathroom break will do you justice as well.

If you're still unable to sit still long enough to read all this, maybe you should go read my rant about social media and then come back when you've relearned a little long(er) format reading.

Otherwise, enjoy another chapter in my 12oz diary...

--------

Figured I had a quick minute to breath and thought it was past due that I hop in and pass along some of what I've been up to and some of what I have planned in 2019. Obviously, I haven't been posting as often as I was a few months back, at least not on the public forum. I tend to cycle through various areas of focus and being as short staffed with all this as I am, get forced into switching between various 12oz related responsibilities on top of the usual commitments to real life responsibilities like home and and family, as well as what I have to do for a living to support all of it. 

In a nutshell, 2018 was a pretty brutal year for me. Ton of freakin work, a ton of freakin stress and on more than one occasion, wasn't sure I'd be able to hold it all together. Fortunately, it all finally came together at about 12pm EST on December 27th. A huge fuckin power move for 12oz and I'll explain what and why as well as a few photos below...

Backstory: A few of you guys can probably piece a lot of this together from various other threads and comments I've posted... I got fed up with the direction my life was going in after running an agency in downtown NYC for a decade and a half. There was a lot of great times and great people, I learned a ton along the way and would like to think I created, or led teams that created, some really great work. There's a few of you that know me in real life, @Mercer   @psm026 @TayyuNit @Grassy Knowles to name a few that saw some of the behind the scenes or more likely, were a part of it in different ways.

I think we had a pretty good run, but at some point someone had pointed out what I was missing with 12oz and helped plant a seed that eventually made me realize how miserable I was becoming (or perhaps had already become?) with the life I'd built up. So I threw in the towel and walked away from my loft in Soho and my life in downtown NYC all just about everything I had spent the previous 15 years building. Through some other twists and turns, wound up moving to the mountains, a dream I had been trying to ignore for far too long, so I could return my focus to 12ozProphet. Over the course of about a year, I managed to relaunch this forum, put out a couple t-shirts and patches and begin to assemble a bunch of ideas and half assed notes I'd been sitting on into a semi-coherent vision and basic game plan for how I might be able to brush off the cobwebs and tarnish and perhaps make 12oz relevant again.

This basically brings me up to maybe a year to a year and a half ago when the reality of it all started to set in. Obviously the world is a different place, in most aspects anyways, than it was 10 or even 5 years ago when 12ozProphet was still among a handful of places people would squander countless hours. I knew this going into it and had countless discussions with a long list of friends and colleagues about it. There's even been plenty of comments here on the forum and more than a fair share of DM's from some of you in this regard. Being honest, and I've mentioned this repeatedly, that as dead things have felt at the worst of times, I'm still blown away by the fact that anyone persisted through what I refer to as the "dark ages of 12ozProphet". Honestly, hats off to each and everyone of you guys that with all that has transpired and all the things competing for attention, that you're on here right now reading this and carrying on what we started over 20 years ago.

Anyhow, I'm happy to get a discussion on why I'm not really concerned by it, but put simply... 12ozProphet started as a brand, doing cool stuff for a very select sub group of people. It was an exploration of niche culture, put together, packaged and presented in a way that was compelling to a broader audience with a sincere effort to raise the bar with its execution to the point that perhaps it could help set a standard. The forum and the community it sprouted was a by product of this and I believe the key to reestablish that community rests in the success of bring it back full circle to the creative explorations and executions that made it relevant in the first place. No doubt a lot has changed, but I believe that in the most general of terms, we've all been duped and distracted for long enough that half of us barely remember what we're missing and the other half is too young to have ever experienced it. Fast fashion, easy accessibility and hype that rarely delivers on expectation... Never mind the exorbitant price points in relation to the quality of execution and concept, which mainly serves to throttle sales back for the perception of scarcity.

Guess I'm getting off topic... So we'll explore that a bit later in this thread or another.

The reaction / response to the few products released the last year and a half has been pretty incredible and I believe more than proves out a lot of my theories about brands in general, the culture and industry servicing it and where 12ozProphet fits into all that. Being honest, there's definitely been some stumbles, if not outright fails along the way as well. I've put a lot of effort into identifying and analyzing, not to mention honesty and reflection, to think about ways I might mitigate some key issues and bottle necks.

Now for the crux of this thread...

Quality and consistency are what I feel have been the largest issues plaguing what I've been trying to do with 12oz. Quality, probably being more about my OCD in regards to execution and consistency... Well that's been a problem in terms of schedule since the second issue of the zine.

If the goal is to see through my vision for 12oz, the challenge is the steady release of compelling new product. Being able to micro manage the supply chain from start to finish would give me the control I need to see the ideas through, not to mention a huge strategic advantage when so much of my ideas and efforts are tied to the execution.

So about January of 2018 I started to reach out to colleagues about who they were printing with. I was tired of bad communication, sky high costs, inconsistent quality and often, an incorrect translation of my idea and graphic into a final t-shirt. Most everyone I reached out to said they couldn't stand their printer and griped about most of the same issues I was experiencing. This was particularly disheartening coming from a very good, long time friend that has a brand that was two years past breaking 7 figures. So I started to look past vendors and instead research the equipment needed to execute what these guys were all fumbling with. About 6 months later I had a pretty fair idea of the landscape and though it was a huge undertaking, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility considering the glimpses of potential I witnessed with 12oz, some insights and potential opportunities with friends and prior colleagues and clients from my agency days and some honest projections on where both could go if I had the tools needed to do the job properly.

About six months later, at about 12pm EST on December 27th to be precise, we officially came on line. A boutique printing facility focused on exceptional quality, experimental screen printing running state of the art, computer-driven auto-press with literally the tightest tolerances in the industry imported from Europe. I spared no expense with the equipment and materials, but admittedly, I had to cut costs somewhere in order to pull it off... The entire provisioning process from plumbing, to electrical, pneumatics and all else were mostly done with the help of a friend and countless hours of YouTube tutorials, Google and calling a few random people that had some experience.

So yeah, pretty much another gratuitous, if not self indulgent post from yours truly, but I wanted to add some context to the announcement and give you guys a little insight about why sometimes I sort of drop off and don't post steadily. Pulling this together really was a massive undertaking and I'm extra proud of the achievement. More than anything else, I'm beyond excited about the potential this represents both to 12ozProphet and me personally. Moving out of NYC was a huge decision and a massive life change. Choosing to go back to focus on 12ozProphet was a hell of a commitment, but as far as bringing things full circle and reconnecting with creative ideas and explorations that helped launch 12ozProphet in the first place, I feel opening this facility is a pretty profound turning point for myself and the brand.

Lots of really fuckin cool stuff coming, at long last.

IMG_0673.thumb.jpg.abe0cecf50a4a8b87a8ee0d817a70982.jpg

IMG_0676.thumb.jpg.0e104aaa9bda235006f19caeed944c91.jpg

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.e4679b21a48c60ff09a90272973dcb03.jpg

IMG_0735.thumb.jpg.f96e463dfd6c973098fe501494c4ed2b.jpg

IMG_0843.thumb.jpg.7a04fd1b1962c05bf12862e639ce88e8.jpg

IMG_0619.thumb.jpg.b4d283283c628fdecaadcd4dd236bb77.jpg

IMG_0628.thumb.jpg.0726514b9190e6b872d505e8da282fa4.jpg

IMG_0631.thumb.jpg.0dff1f64fd7214916a6a4f727fc889ea.jpg

IMG_0845.thumb.jpg.932724ad32276730ce97996197146bb0.jpg

IMG_0833.thumb.jpg.8747d6cc1d63d4868cae4ce92be092c6.jpg

IMG_0363.thumb.jpg.da340a1ba7a70b29d41e5e1e8e5da721.jpg

IMG_0371.thumb.jpg.80d25d33e9a116972d3f35b08f23f2c0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 5

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

By the way, the graphic you see being printed was a test design we did to dial in the final calibrations of the press and to also begin testing how tight we can register with this system. It's over sized graphic (I think 16 x 22") with tight registration of two colors with no trapping at all four corners. The final image was testing how well we could sustain registration with an on press color rotation going from a dark color (black) to a vivid color (blue). Basically what would be considered a bit of a nightmare job to start testing shit out.

Just now, misteraven said:

By the way, the graphic you see being printed was a test design we did to dial in the final calibrations of the press and to also begin testing how tight we can register with this system. It's over sized graphic (I think 16 x 22") with tight registration of two colors with no trapping at all four corners. The final image was testing how well we could sustain registration with an on press color rotation going from a dark color (black) to a vivid color (blue). Basically what would be considered a bit of a nightmare job to start testing shit out.

I do not know what printer you got but that graphic looks soooo fucking detailed...and the color is fucking vivid

I'm super happy you were able to source some tees that look "true" white....this is a bit overwhelming to the emotions

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Actually heading to ISS in Long Beach for a day this weekend to check out some additional equipment, as well as look at options for blanks and specialty inks. 

These shots really don't do it justice. Those are quick camera phone shots late at night with bad lighting. So far the press has exceeded my expectations in regards to quality, which has me further wondering why there aren't better printers out there.

• Like 1

@misteraven

bro, no joke, in all seriousness

you are truly an inspiration...the last year you've been doing your thing behind the scenes and then finally laying all of this out for us

you are literally the entrepreneur and designer I wish I could be

its basically a mix of discipline, patience, dedication, and loyalty

cheers to you, allen

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Looking good, what made your magazine stand out was content, I am confident that your further ventures will continue to distinguish themselves in that regard.

Congratulations on taking your vision and ideas to completion, it is a admirable trait and ability. 

• Like 1

Congratulations! 

Definitely happy to watch someone succeed. I know that isn't easy but its probably rewarding as hell.

Please do find some time to chill when things get to stressful. I watched a couple friends in their mid 30's burn the candle on both ends and they both ended up in the hospital because they thought they were having a heart attack. It turns out they were fine but they're blood pressure went way up.

Giving it your all and accomplishing your goals is amazing but enjoying them for the long run is even better.

I cant wait to see what you start producing!

PS

great use of those Arri hot lights.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, glorydays said:

@misteraven

seam has been talking to me on instagram. SEAM is an app that basically consolidates shopping to a single app and provides a "direct to consumer" experience

they were asking if there were any brands or designers they could add to the app...i mentioned 12oz and they said they would contact you

Not familiar with it. Havent heard from them, but I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks everyone...

Been thinking about a forum specific shirt for a long while. The second tee ever produced fro 12oz, way back in the days, was a forum based tee. Anyhow, thought it would be a cool way to sort of bring this all back around and make it about a very specific, directional audience. Kind like what it was like back in the days when you could spot someone wearing a tee and knew you could walk up and start a conversation since it was something so obscure it would immediately be a kinship with that person. Also, thinking its another small step towards spreading the word about the forum.

Was thinking maybe a special release that also gives access to a new VIP type section? Just unsure if there's enough people interested or momentum in general for something like this.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Thanks everyone...

Been thinking about a forum specific shirt for a long while. The second tee ever produced fro 12oz, way back in the days, was a forum based tee. Anyhow, thought it would be a cool way to sort of bring this all back around and make it about a very specific, directional audience. Kind like what it was like back in the days when you could spot someone wearing a tee and knew you could walk up and start a conversation since it was something so obscure it would immediately be a kinship with that person. Also, thinking its another small step towards spreading the word about the forum.

Was thinking maybe a special release that also gives access to a new VIP type section? Just unsure if there's enough people interested or momentum in general for something like this.

Thoughts?

Im obviously heavily biased but I think thats a great idea. Miss those days when a single item was enough to get a feel for the person rocking it. The more obscure it was the more you knew how much research and effort went into even getting it.

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Thanks everyone...

Thoughts?

that would be tight

and it would definitely make the community more tight knit

Build and drywall I can handle, electrical... hell no. No amount of Google videos will give me enough confidence to wire up from the main line. Electricity is mean. 

That whole set up looks amazing, dude. Can't wait to see the work you pour your heart into come to life. We know it's going to be amazing. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Need to change the name of this thread... Took forever to remember what the hell I called it.

Anyhow, been posting some of the latest stuff we’ve got up on the new presses including this new 12ozProphet tee that’s about to drop (likely tomorrow, but still figuring it out). Also, working up a dedicated forum tee for you all that I hope you guys dig. Also working out how the forum tee release might bring some extra attention back into the forum, as well as an incentive (thank you) to the OG forum members. 

In in any case, lots of cool stuff happening and you’ll see it starting to ramp up pretty soon now that we’re really dialing stuff in. 

850E0386-FB2C-41A8-84C6-0737EBC098D5.thumb.jpeg.c04a68635b304a5b0d1fa3e16414d956.jpeg

95BB3131-8845-497C-BD28-10E5BA64ADDE.thumb.jpeg.e12dc5ac58808bd999c626705759b830.jpeg

5C07A9FB-F0F0-46ED-8DD3-6FA15D9DB247.thumb.jpeg.ae748ed5dc55f905b4bfdcc6f994070c.jpeg

F67B7CA6-D055-4087-A2BB-8C3051740C5F.thumb.jpeg.05bea06a427e2cf5efc7aa7b4c06f7c1.jpeg

9E7E5E18-8683-4D82-A639-472A40377FD3.thumb.jpeg.3ef5b02fd74b651fa36d8cfe81d060f9.jpeg

7EE5E096-6E9D-4B9A-917E-40D84C85A766.thumb.jpeg.91904352f5141b5ad35f099173ad2a04.jpeg

F76D8397-A2AF-4DF6-A35A-1156336E131B.jpeg

• Like 1

as a printer/ designer myself, the amount of appreciation I have for this work is astronomical. The prices for unique merch truly have me baffled every time... the quality is unsurpassed, and could be EASILY 3x the prince when you consider the hours put into the creation, from concept to execution. 

I have the utmost respect for what you've been able to do with your vision, I hope youre on the right track now mentally, cant wait to see what 2019 brings!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brink said:

as a printer/ designer myself, the amount of appreciation I have for this work is astronomical. The prices for unique merch truly have me baffled every time... the quality is unsurpassed, and could be EASILY 3x the prince when you consider the hours put into the creation, from concept to execution. 

I have the utmost respect for what you've been able to do with your vision, I hope youre on the right track now mentally, cant wait to see what 2019 brings!

Thanks man, would love to hear more about your own efforts if you have a thread going that I havent seen or want to start a new one or DM or whatever.

Again, it's still early in the process and I'm still exploring options and coming up with ideas. I don't have the capital, especially after all these investments to jump into staffing up, but that is the plan once we also have the momentum and workloads, as well as the revenues to qualify that decision. That said, I have been considering a sort of paid internship program that I've been discussing with a few people already. I happen to have a guest cottage attached to the structure we're running things out of and thought it might be a really cool exchange to bring people through for anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months that are looking for some experience and a huge change of scenery (mountains of Montana) and in return we'd get some much needed help and some fresh energy passing through. Anyhow, haven't decided on it yet and I also very much appreciate my privacy as well, but thinking that with select candidates, it could work. We'd provide room and board and stipend and they'd be willing to help out with a bunch of what we have going on from helping manage the press, graphics, photography and the other facets of what it takes to run the operation.

In any case, just some of what I've been considering. Might only work for a younger person that might also be looking for college credit since most older people have leases or car payments and would have a tough time escaping the "real world" for any real period of time to jump into the 12ozProphet experience and spend some time up in the mountains with us.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

6 hours ago, misteraven said:

In any case, just some of what I've been considering. Might only work for a younger person that might also be looking for college credit since most older people have leases or car payments and would have a tough time escaping the "real world" for any real period of time to jump into the 12ozProphet experience and spend some time up in the mountains with us.

oh man  if this was an opportunity 10 years back would have been right on it.

P.S. Love the Smoker patch

Edited by Schnitzel
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1