Drinks, the good ones

Brink

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Suntory is the main region associated w/ the Japanese whiskys although I've had a few good ones that were from IDK where.

Believe this one had that peaty flavor:

image.png.9dc6d72e9290542bbae3d5e26467b74c.png

Def do your homework on prices, they've gone up a bit over the past few years as people discover Japanese whisky, shit has almost become collectible.  I want to say that bottles of Yamazaki were around $60 for their regular, $80 for the aged.  These days they start at about $80?

image.png.5ad39e82b0b06f3c25efc886eee360e9.png

I've had their 18year which was good, and also the Hibiki, might have been the 17year, also good, not as peaty though on either.

Nikka has made some good stuff although none that I've had were that peaty.  Same with Mars brand but I would look into those before buying, range of flavors from some good smokey/woody stuff to stuff that I just put in Coke to others horror, lol.  Be aware that Suntory is both a region and a brand name.

Also recommend you skip them if you're able to and look into Kavalan whisky from Taiwan, ultra smooth, ultra flavorful, (now ultra expensive), overall a cut above the Japanese IMO.  My favorites thus far are the port and sherry casked.  No need for ice/water unless it's your style because these ones are pretty rich, I like to pour a glass and just let it sit for a while... the aroma from the casking is amazing and will catch your attention from several feet away.  

image.thumb.png.6b9a67bf7caa0943809374112f479f8c.png

Being honest, I rarely notice a huge difference with decent alcohol versus quality alcohol. I can certainly tell when handed some well bullshit, and occasionally come up on something that tastes a little nicer. The exception for me, however, has been Jefferson Reserve. I was given a bottle of this as a gift from a friend and it was exactly the way I've heard good alcohol described in that it was smooth, complex and had a finish / aftertaste that actually got better.

Not the easiest to find and not terribly expensive (regular version is about $45 and the choice stuff is in the $65 range per bottle), but well worth the effort for those of you that appreciate bourbon. *Not to be confused with Woodford Reserve, which is good, but wasn't as impactful a difference from some other decent bourbons compared to this one.

Jeffersons-Reserve-Prichard-Hill-Bourbon-750-ml_1.thumb.png.ac513cdb4d4d4b0e636a60d853419411.png

Jefferson_Reserve__98019.1505296583.thumb.png.60a2b8ff3d9b82193ea4473d6e71ef6f.png

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, Brink said:

Strictly design speaking, I love bottle labels... especially the "Very Old" qualifier.

Raven what kind of taste are we talking here? Any notable undertones/overtones?

Being honest, its been a while since the last bottle, perhaps a year or so, so don't exactly recall. I do remember it was subtle and not the typical woodsy taste I've tasted in others. Like I said, it drinks super smooth. I drank most the bottle just straight or with ice and usually until you have a buzz going, alcohol is pretty harsh. This wasn't like that and even straight sober, it had a really enjoyable taste and was just smooth. Recall that it reminded me of some of the authentic Sichuan I had in China, where there's a sort of lingering taste that transforms into something distinct from the original taste. I know that with alcohol, the taste is often changed by whatever you eat or or pair with it, but half the time, I was just drinking and this was great every time.

Anyhow, it's not cheap but also not expensive. Definitely worth tracking down and giving a taste. If you aren't into it, just cut it with ginger beer and lime and it's still an awesome drink.

• Truth 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, Brink said:

lgvob.1998v2.thumb.jpg.909137a0dc9ccf3c711cb14a6f0b9ef4.jpg

one of my favorite scotches from the isle, such a nice peat-y flavor

iv heard there have been some really good Japanese whiskys as of late as well, anyone TireReviews have some insight?

Hi, I am a rum fan - Ron Zacapa is definitely my No1 rum, but when I am out of money Bacardi Gold is okay :)

4 hours ago, glorydays said:

I'd personally pick vodka and tequila over rum tho

On 1/16/2019 at 4:10 PM, Anguanday said:

Hi, TireReviews I am a rum fan - Ron Zacapa is definitely my No1 rum, but when I am out of money Bacardi Gold is okay ?

Tequila is better than vodka, if I choose for me - but rum has a better taste and a nicer aroma - well, this is my opinion. ?

I intend to get into whiskey when I can see spirits as something other than turn-me-into-the-juggernaut-fluid thats sculled with ferocity straight from the bottle. 

I know what I’m missing out on, but even as close to 50 as I am, I’m still waiting, with enthusiasm, for that day to arrive. 

1 minute ago, Hua Guofang said:

I intend to get into whiskey when I can see spirits as something other than turn-me-into-the-juggernaut-fluid thats sculled with ferocity straight from the bottle. Tirereviews

I know what I’m missing out on, but even as close to 50 as I am, I’m still waiting, with enthusiasm, for that day to arrive. 

which whiskey do you like? I am a rum fan - I like the rum's aroma more than a whiskey!

I purchased this after a trip to stitzel weller it was a great purchase I only have a little left.  it was just about $95.00 

i-w-harper-15-year-vertical-02a.jpg?crc=

If you guys love bourbon and typically like to mix I would recommend Very Old barton. It is by no means barton's top of the line bourbon but it is a great one if your just trying to drink bourbon and coke for cheap.

It is one of my personal favorites

Very_Old_Barton_KSBW_6_Year_80prf_750ml. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...