Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brink

Drinks, the good ones

lgvob.1998v2.thumb.jpg.909137a0dc9ccf3c711cb14a6f0b9ef4.jpg

one of my favorite scotches from the isle, such a nice peat-y flavor

iv heard there have been some really good Japanese whiskys as of late as well, anyone have some insight?

• Like 1

Suntory is the main region associated w/ the Japanese whiskys although I've had a few good ones that were from IDK where.

Believe this one had that peaty flavor:

image.png.9dc6d72e9290542bbae3d5e26467b74c.png

Def do your homework on prices, they've gone up a bit over the past few years as people discover Japanese whisky, shit has almost become collectible.  I want to say that bottles of Yamazaki were around $60 for their regular, $80 for the aged.  These days they start at about $80?

image.png.5ad39e82b0b06f3c25efc886eee360e9.png

I've had their 18year which was good, and also the Hibiki, might have been the 17year, also good, not as peaty though on either.

Nikka has made some good stuff although none that I've had were that peaty.  Same with Mars brand but I would look into those before buying, range of flavors from some good smokey/woody stuff to stuff that I just put in Coke to others horror, lol.  Be aware that Suntory is both a region and a brand name.

Also recommend you skip them if you're able to and look into Kavalan whisky from Taiwan, ultra smooth, ultra flavorful, (now ultra expensive), overall a cut above the Japanese IMO.  My favorites thus far are the port and sherry casked.  No need for ice/water unless it's your style because these ones are pretty rich, I like to pour a glass and just let it sit for a while... the aroma from the casking is amazing and will catch your attention from several feet away.  

image.thumb.png.6b9a67bf7caa0943809374112f479f8c.png

Being honest, I rarely notice a huge difference with decent alcohol versus quality alcohol. I can certainly tell when handed some well bullshit, and occasionally come up on something that tastes a little nicer. The exception for me, however, has been Jefferson Reserve. I was given a bottle of this as a gift from a friend and it was exactly the way I've heard good alcohol described in that it was smooth, complex and had a finish / aftertaste that actually got better.

Not the easiest to find and not terribly expensive (regular version is about $45 and the choice stuff is in the $65 range per bottle), but well worth the effort for those of you that appreciate bourbon. *Not to be confused with Woodford Reserve, which is good, but wasn't as impactful a difference from some other decent bourbons compared to this one.

Jeffersons-Reserve-Prichard-Hill-Bourbon-750-ml_1.thumb.png.ac513cdb4d4d4b0e636a60d853419411.png

Jefferson_Reserve__98019.1505296583.thumb.png.60a2b8ff3d9b82193ea4473d6e71ef6f.png

Strictly design speaking, I love bottle labels... especially the "Very Old" qualifier.

Raven what kind of taste are we talking here? Any notable undertones/overtones?

• Props 1

Hard to pick a favourite scotch maker for me.

I prefer the sherry'd to peaty but I am not picky.

I'll get a pic of my collection tomorrow when I'm not at work and post it.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, Brink said:

Strictly design speaking, I love bottle labels... especially the "Very Old" qualifier.

Raven what kind of taste are we talking here? Any notable undertones/overtones?

Being honest, its been a while since the last bottle, perhaps a year or so, so don't exactly recall. I do remember it was subtle and not the typical woodsy taste I've tasted in others. Like I said, it drinks super smooth. I drank most the bottle just straight or with ice and usually until you have a buzz going, alcohol is pretty harsh. This wasn't like that and even straight sober, it had a really enjoyable taste and was just smooth. Recall that it reminded me of some of the authentic Sichuan I had in China, where there's a sort of lingering taste that transforms into something distinct from the original taste. I know that with alcohol, the taste is often changed by whatever you eat or or pair with it, but half the time, I was just drinking and this was great every time.

Anyhow, it's not cheap but also not expensive. Definitely worth tracking down and giving a taste. If you aren't into it, just cut it with ginger beer and lime and it's still an awesome drink.

• Truth 1

I found you can cut pretty much anything with ginger beer and it becomes an amazing cocktail. 

• Truth 1

On 11/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, Brink said:

Just picked this up from the store, quite a nice taste 

20181101_181422.jpg

Been throwing that in Coke, shame on me?

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now