The SNOWBOARD and SKI winter sport spectacular thread

misteraven

So, having grown up mostly in Miami, I got into snowboarding a bit late in life. I did skate a lot growing up so I managed to pick it up pretty quickly. Even once I moved up North, I didn't get a ton of opportunity to ride since between work, loot and planning the few hour trip it took to get to a half way decent mountain (though I did get a chance to try and keep up with @Mercerfor a fun afternoon a handful of years back). 

Anyhow, I now live 10 - 15 minutes from an amazing mountain, that was ranked #6 in the nation last year and took the #1 spot for snowfall for more days than any other resort from what I recall. It's a pretty big resort with varied terrain and park riding. You can ride the front side, back side and a few adjoining peaks. They allow you to go off path and even out of bounds if you want. They also have night skiing for half the season.

Got in 30+ days last season since I had a pass and threw down on steeply discounted pre season pass for this season. So question... How many of you guys ride? It's honestly one of my most favorite past times, along with tactical shooting.

Any of you guys ride? Anyone want to maybe see if we can arrange a 12oz meetup for some powder riding?

Here's what the situation looks like out this way... Amazing powder, but also a lot of flat light days.

IMG_9428.thumb.JPG.0affb59cd48f4482f3cdd7d6585e5f91.JPG

IMG_9157.thumb.JPG.2201208a0a55e5387753bb927b75863d.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_344b.thumb.jpg.bf79e650324c4145a24b1d61e14f239b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
38 minutes ago, Brink said:

Iv ski'd most of my life, having grown up in the North East. Looking forward to heading out west the season for that fresh powder...certainly beats the kind of snow we get on the East Coast

Yeah man, even Vermont was riding across patches of gravel at least some of the time.

Not to rub it in but I've had days out here where powder was so deep it was almost hard to ride because it would drag on the board so bad. You'd literally slow down and just sink to your waist. Then spend an hour crawling out to find a trail that was compacted enough to pick up some speed again.

• Truth 1

12 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Yeah man, even Vermont was riding across patches of gravel at least some of the time.

Not to rub it in but I've had days out here where powder was so deep it was almost hard to ride because it would drag on the board so bad. You'd literally slow down and just sink to your waist. Then spend an hour crawling out to find a trail that was compacted enough to pick up some speed again.

Sheesh. 

Yea skiing up here is basically just like aggressive downhill ice skating, definitely envious of you

• LOL! 1

LOL, I feel you guys out East. That's how I learned to ride myself.

Can't say we have those sun tan, ski with a tank top days like you see in CA, but we generally start the season with about a 10ft base layer that quickly hits 25+ and about as much powder as you can handle. If you cut off path you can even wind through the trees and under lifts and carve out fresh lines in the powder.

Only draw back here is due to how the mountains and weather work out, we have a ton of flat light days. Sometimes, visibility will be so socked in, you can't even see the next chair in the lift. Can be fun in its own way, but is murder on the legs since you really can't see the contours so you really have to over compensate with the leg strength. Super fun regardless until you go through a slightly warm patch and come out the other end with a rind layer on everything, including your goggles. That and when temps drop into the negatives, so you definitely need good gear, lots of layers and some gore-tex.

3 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Sometimes, visibility will be so socked in, you can't even see the next chair in the lift. Can be fun in its own way, but is murder on the legs since you really can't see the contours so you really have to over compensate with the leg strength. S

Oh man I know EXACTLY what you mean. After a full day of that your legs just give out. I have bad knees from years of riding. If you aren't stomping down and you don't anticipate the bumps you hit it at an awkward angle and go flying.

We've got decent hills but none of that powder. Our runs are packed snow, many times frozen over. When you bail you're likely to get a bruise the size of a watermelon or worse. Years ago I had a nasty bail out, bruised a few ribs, I couldn't breathe without pain for months. Not fun.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Edited by Kults

3 hours ago, misteraven said:

@Kults Is that man made snow or do you get enough real snow for a decent run? Figured with how far north you were you'd be getting dumped on? Maybe these shots aren't representative, but not even enough snow to cover the trees.

Mostly an original coat of the real stuff with man made constantly thrown on top to keep the run coated. We'll get a few massive snowfalls and they just coast off those. Generally though its more just cold as hell at -30 and humid. Oddly enough if you go down to Vermont which is just south of us they get alot more powder. Maybe cause we're so close to the St Laurence river , no idea really. I know there's icebergs in there at the opening near Quebec city.