Anyone here write screenplays??

glorydays

• 1 year later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I got into screenwriting for a stint years ago. Being a self proclaimed film nerd I really wanted to do something with that shit but apparently not bad enough because I never did. Took a few classes, read a book or two then wrote a couple of short films. Bought a nice camera and shot hours of footage only to end up on hard drives that never saw a editing program. Every year around those resolutions I tell myself I’m going to try giving it a real go but never do.....Have you written anything @glorydays

1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I got into screenwriting for a stint years ago. Being a self proclaimed film nerd I really wanted to do something with that shit but apparently not bad enough because I never did. Took a few classes, read a book or two then wrote a couple of short films. Bought a nice camera and shot hours of footage only to end up on hard drives that never saw a editing program. Every year around those resolutions I tell myself I’m going to try giving it a real go but never do.....Have you written anything @glorydays

i have a fucking bunch. Did they sell? No. I learned that writers need to separate what they think is cool from what is marketable.

You might have a baller ass idea, but if the money people think it won't sell or don't even understand what they're reading, then they'll just reject it.

And let's say that you are just writing to write. The second thing i tell writers not to do is to turn into Mary-Sues'. Or, in other words, putting themselves into their own stories and making themselves invincible.

That's like writing an 80's action movie dead sober....like no cocaine involved in the process. You'll turn into steven seagal.

On the other hand, a good movie will always take years to develop. Ask any writer/director that has won any accolades or are considered the best (Get Out, Parasite, Uncut Gems) and you'll notice the same words coming out of their mouths:

This movie took 10 years to make.

I wrote a few myself. I like subcultures, so i usually base my screenplays off of stuff that i see or find interesting. Like a skate store owner turning into a mercenary, my own experiences with borderline personality disorder....that kind of thing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yo @glorydays just popping back in here to shoot the breeze man. Recently getting that bug all over again in a big way and actually started researching/jotting down loose ideas for something I’m really interested in working on. What’s going on in your land? Have you completed/done/started anything recently during stupid covid times??

• Like 1

Just now, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Yo @glorydays just popping back in here to shoot the breeze man. Recently getting that bug all over again in a big way and actually started researching/jotting down loose ideas for something I’m really interested in working on. What’s going on in your land? Have you completed/done/started anything recently during stupid covid times??

Hey broski, i feeeel you.

Ive been writing some ideas down myself.

I had this idea of redoing some of Jackie Chan's work.

I have some "storyboard" ideas for rumble in the bronx and mr. nice guy.

I was watching Jackie Chan's movies and he has a very strong sense for action but the stories and writing are bullshit.

I thought itd be rad to write a story revolving the premise of those old movies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glorydays said:

Hey broski, i feeeel you.

Ive been writing some ideas down myself.

I had this idea of redoing some of Jackie Chan's work.

I have some "storyboard" ideas for rumble in the bronx and mr. nice guy.

I was watching Jackie Chan's movies and he has a very strong sense for action but the stories and writing are bullshit.

I thought itd be rad to write a story revolving the premise of those old movies.

That’s what’s up! I feel like it’s a sleepy market atm that could easily get woke. Especially on some American fusion(you’re from the states I think lol). Not sure which ones you’re thinking about specifically but all that rumble in the Bronx and even rush hour shit would be dope today. Surely you’re talking more authentico pre America stardom. 

Anyhow I’ve been wild out of touch for a long time. Was film studies in college light years ago and then later got into screenwriting classes and then silence but I’m back on the train. You always start out with story boarding or just jotting loose nothings down and then compiling till you get something that makes sense before actually scripting shit down or do you just go straight in?? 

• Props 1

7 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

That’s what’s up! I feel like it’s a sleepy market atm that could easily get woke. Especially on some American fusion(you’re from the states I think lol). Not sure which ones you’re thinking about specifically but all that rumble in the Bronx and even rush hour shit would be dope today. Surely you’re talking more authentico pre America stardom. 

Anyhow I’ve been wild out of touch for a long time. Was film studies in college light years ago and then later got into screenwriting classes and then silence but I’m back on the train. You always start out with story boarding or just jotting loose nothings down and then compiling till you get something that makes sense before actually scripting shit down or do you just go straight in?? 

I feel like slapstick and physical comedy is coming back big. Add good old martial arts and parkour, you basically have a jackie chan movie.

I'll post up what i have so far once i get a few pages done.

I wanted to set "mr. nice guy" in los angeles

18 hours ago, glorydays said:

I feel like slapstick and physical comedy is coming back big. Add good old martial arts and parkour, you basically have a jackie chan movie.

I'll post up what i have so far once i get a few pages done.

I wanted to set "mr. nice guy" in los angeles

You a LA dude? Ironic to get on that particular city because that’s what brings me over here lol!! I’m currently in sd on vacation but I’m planning to drive up and do some field research looking at murder sites for this idea I’ve been obsessing about. Will gladly tell you if you’d like to hear. 

• Props 1

7 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

You a LA dude? Ironic to get on that particular city because that’s what brings me over here lol!! I’m currently in sd on vacation but I’m planning to drive up and do some field research looking at murder sites for this idea I’ve been obsessing about. Will gladly tell you if you’d like to hear. 

yooooo yea i live near LA

and that's rad...let me know what youre up to when you get your idea planned out.

• Props 1

Took a playwriting class this past semester, it was sick. The idea is that there is a play inside every screenplay with additional saturation in visual exposition, getting the fundamentals down. It might be fun to do a discord sometime where we do reads.

Edited by where

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...