ivy league making a come back as a style

glorydays

I wanted to know your opinion of the burgeoning return of ivy league as a legitimate style as opposed to being the choice for bros with a grudge against the left

Noah NYC came out with a look book recently that harkens back to a simpler time in early 2007 when American traditional took hold of hipster circles in Brooklyn

Edited by glorydays

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
3 minutes ago, Kults said:

I was heavily into this look about a decade ago. I have no intention of going back to it. Also been steadily selling most of the Polo stuff I had from that era. Funny its coming back, shit is so cyclical.

I feel it...I was balls deep into this style in 2007, grabbing Japanese ivy traditional brands for the most part

I stuck with some of the brands but not as much any more, the prices sky rocketed

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, glorydays said:

I feel it...I was balls deep into this style in 2007, grabbing Japanese ivy traditional brands for the most part

I stuck with some of the brands but not as much any more, the prices sky rocketed

I was heavy into Polo Blue and RL Rugby until that folded. Sperrys and the whole nine. It was cool for awhile but like everything else it got old. Noah is a cool brand though, Im not planning on getting into it but I see what he's going for. He's a former Supreme creative director IIRC. Good stuff.

• Props 1

Just now, Kults said:

I was heavy into Polo Blue and RL Rugby until that folded. Sperrys and the whole nine. It was cool for awhile but like everything else it got old. Noah is a cool brand though, Im not planning on getting into it but I see what he's going for. He's a former Supreme creative director IIRC. Good stuff.

word, I like what he's doing, but I cant get back into it....it was just interesting to see that theyre trying to pull it back from the void

• Props 1

Just now, glorydays said:

word, I like what he's doing, but I cant get back into it....it was just interesting to see that theyre trying to pull it back from the void

Agreed 100%. Its a cool look and he's putting a bit of a spin on the staples. I can dig that.

Surprised it took so long to return, though it did get a false start with Kanye and a few rappers that started popping collars and wearing pastel layers over khakis.

When I was working with Timberland a few years back, I was trying hard to move things towards that whole direction. I managed to talk Supreme into doing the 3 eye lug release, which was supposed to be the catalyst to keep pushing in that direction, but then I got no real traction from Timberland to follow it up and help lead that resurgence. Missed opportunity IMO.

• Props 2

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Surprised it took so long to return, though it did get a false start with Kanye and a few rappers that started popping collars and wearing pastel layers over khakis.

When I was working with Timberland a few years back, I was trying hard to move things towards that whole direction. I managed to talk Supreme into doing the 3 eye lug release, which was supposed to be the catalyst to keep pushing in that direction, but then I got no real traction from Timberland to follow it up and help lead that resurgence. Missed opportunity IMO.

during that time, it seemed that japanese brands were the only ones that understood the subculture at the time

Nepenthes NYC was doing heritage brand collabs like Clark's and Timberlands...Mark Mcnairy is making a somewhat comeback also.

Mark Mcnairy is on his own tip that, IMO, transcends trend and is just about classics and quality. Love the stuff that guy puts out and own a few pairs of his shoes. 

he designed for woolrich brothers along side daiki Suzuki from engineered garments

I have a pair of his Higgins pants that literally started the jogger pants trend

and he was head of design for BBC beeline for a few years....the dude is on another level

mmnaa3006734698_m1_1-0._UX357_QL90_.jpg

mark-mcnairy-new-amsterdam-green-rubber-duck-higgins-pants-product-1-18423732-2-100930807-normal.jpg

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kults said:

I like the rubber ducky ones. I`d have worn those back when I was into that look.

I don`t wear my joggers anymore I feel like that`s kind of over. I do love a tapered leg though.

yea...I feel you on the joggers, the look is outdated for sure. I just miss mcnasty doing great designs like back then

3 hours ago, Brink said:

That first pair is elegant as fuck

I have a dark khaki pair that I got from way back then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glorydays said:

yea...I feel you on the joggers, the look is outdated for sure. I just miss mcnasty doing great designs like back then

I have a dark khaki pair that I got from way back then

I do miss wearing cardigans, those were cool. Ah man, its taking me back. Whatever happened to Vampire Weekend

• Truth 1

Personally I like the crossover I see between Ivy, Outdoor and Western... My friend Dontay is big on this and tried to bring a lot of it into PRPS back when he was lead designer on that. Most of the good stuff in this vein in posted to his stories, but here's a link to his account:

https://www.instagram.com/dontay_tc5_wilder/

thank you for that!

that's a definite follow from me

• Like 1

I miss these days

woolrich woolen mills were on their hipster tip and hired these two gods back in 2010

daiki was on the way out and would later that year win vogue's award for best new designer

mark would take up the helm of woolrich woolen mills and the two dudes decided to celebrate with a joint collab

tumblr_nze7op3ZIp1r204ifo1_400.jpg

tumblr_nze7op3ZIp1r204ifo2_400.jpg

tumblr_nze7op3ZIp1r204ifo3_400.jpg

• Truth 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Teak161 said:

Dunno... just my opinion but its just like this generic pseudoyuppieshit... no offense to anyone wearing this shit, just think it looks cocky...

I fully understand that...but theres no stopping it from coming back

most brands that I buy are now jumping on the wave early

• Props 1

7 hours ago, glorydays said:

I fully understand that...but theres no stopping it from coming back

most brands that I buy are now jumping on the wave early

Its all cyclical. It was due for a comeback and frankly its a cool look compared to many recurring trends that should have died an ugly death decades ago.

• Truth 1