5Pointz: graffiti is “ephemeral” and "painting over them is part of the culture."

6Pennies

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I thought about this long, and hard /no homo

I'm not with the lawsuit, and think it fucks over the next generation of kids. Like why would anyone allow people to paint their building if they can get sued now if they ever decided to paint over it. Makes no sense. From what I've heard vandal squad used to post up outside trying to catch kids painting legally, and arrest/harass them until the owners stuck their necks out for them and squashed that bullshit.

I don't know, it's not like I'm not going to miss that place 100%. It made living along the 7 train back in the day dope. Twice a day riding to, and from work scoping for new shit. Even though I never painted legals like that myself, I can see it's dope having a well known chill spot for out of towners to come through and network at. Guaranteed the lawsuit hurt the chances of new spots like 5 Pointz  popping up, once the owners of a potential spot considering letting kids paint get wind of this.

• Like 2
  • Truth 3
  • Props 1

I always liked the impermanence of shit.  I was never running around creating masterpieces but I didn't care when shit got buffed / painted over and it became a little game to see how visible shit could get and still stay up for a long time. If you're going to go through this kind of crazy channel to keep your shit up you might as well get in with a historical preservation society and get a plaque and make it a landmark before anybody gets a chance to paint over it.

• Like 1