Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glorydays

Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

Recommended Posts

@glorydaysThanks man, keep posting links and I'll check them out. I'm 6'2'' and about 180 - 185 currently. Assuming I'm a A2XL, but not sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, misteraven said:

@glorydaysThanks man, keep posting links and I'll check them out. I'm 6'2'' and about 180 - 185 currently. Assuming I'm a A2XL, but not sure.

 

I'd say you're a A2 Long or just a regular A3

 

I would HIGHLY recommend subscribing to one of my favorite bloggers JACK SLACK

https://www.patreon.com/JackSlack/

 

He is a combat writer who breaks down fights and techniques

 

and one of my favorite photographers works for undefeated

https://www.instagram.com/bogblast/?hl=en

 

 

 

 

40110650_234243674101533_1530876960811661040_n.jpg

40264259_104122113842516_4514888768737417735_n.jpg

40504614_289828151611227_832641967328046685_n.jpg

53708730_1095109030671789_2537582595952143865_n.jpg

57038503_1529528597180781_5633799095420069559_n.jpg

59461339_652964618508703_9084991622583528275_n.jpg

59785851_411868786301688_698298752843845205_n.jpg

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be taking more photos of my classes as i have gotten over my embarrassing first year at bjj

 

@fat ralphyare you still at it? I've been off the forum for a while

@MercerHow's everything on your side, broski?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@glory daysThings are going pretty well. I've been doing 2 classes a week bjj but not at an actual bjj gym, it's in an MMA gym (Tiger Schulman's). Because of this, we train bjj a little different, obviously no gi, and the main difference we have is training to avoiding strikes on the ground, and some of the illegal bjj takedowns/slams that a bjj gym wouldn't focus on primarily.

 

As far as how I'm doing I love it. Feels like I'm actually learning bjj faster, even though I've only been doing 2 classes a week for less than a year, than I am doing 3 kickboxing classes a week for twice as long. Still get tapped by upper belts as to be expected but probably in the top of my class as far as people who started around the same time as me even though I'm in my 40's now. I think a lot of that is from me never having wrestled, or done any sort of grappling. I'm fighting an uphill battle on correcting heavily ingrained  poor technique in kickboxing, having self trained poor technique when I was younger. Starting bjj with a clean slate has made learning easier I guess. I've just started actually hitting submissions (granted on other lower belts) more often than not when rolling.

 

Leaving NYC end of February, and definably doing the most reputable bjj gym in Denver I can afford, or commute to when I get there. I'll probably make use of those gi links you posted in here pretty soon unless they require an in house buy.

  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, those gi are definitely among the cooler designs I've seen. Hopefully the quality is just as good as the looks.

  • Truth 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mercer said:

@glory daysThings are going pretty well. I've been doing 2 classes a week bjj but not at an actual bjj gym, it's in an MMA gym (Tiger Schulman's). Because of this, we train bjj a little different, obviously no gi, and the main difference we have is training to avoiding strikes on the ground, and some of the illegal bjj takedowns/slams that a bjj gym wouldn't focus on primarily.

 

As far as how I'm doing I love it. Feels like I'm actually learning bjj faster, even though I've only been doing 2 classes a week for less than a year, than I am doing 3 kickboxing classes a week for twice as long. Still get tapped by upper belts as to be expected but probably in the top of my class as far as people who started around the same time as me even though I'm in my 40's now. I think a lot of that is from me never having wrestled, or done any sort of grappling. I'm fighting an uphill battle on correcting heavily ingrained  poor technique in kickboxing, having self trained poor technique when I was younger. Starting bjj with a clean slate has made learning easier I guess. I've just started actually hitting submissions (granted on other lower belts) more often than not when rolling.

 

Leaving NYC end of February, and definably doing the most reputable bjj gym in Denver I can afford, or commute to when I get there. I'll probably make use of those gi links you posted in here pretty soon unless they require an in house buy.

that's great! the focus on no-gi and no-holds barred approach reminds me of the bjj gym in cali called "10th planet"

They focus on combat technique as opposed to comp, even tho 10th planet has some of the best competitors out there

I, myself, have to unlearn giving up my back so easily in side guard position.

 

And good luck in Denver! there are some really good bjj gyms in Colorado

  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, glorydays said:

there are some really good bjj gyms in Colorado

Any thoughts on specific gyms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Yeah, those gi are definitely among the cooler designs I've seen. Hopefully the quality is just as good as the looks.

I got the we defy foundation gi to support their organization

 

they give free lessons to all veterans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Any thoughts on specific gyms?

Mile High Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

 

get lessons from the source...i would kill to be taught under a gracie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

@glorydaysFlashbacks to the Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie match breakdown:

 

 

Match starts @ 9:45

watching the whole video right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try to load videos that i think will be inspirational to anyone wanting to elevate their bjj art

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - I am stoked to see this thread is staying active.

 

I have been struggling lately to log on, severe decline of my best friend who has cancer and some good work stressors are my excuse.

 

I received my brown belt in December. I have been training 6.5 years and to be honest this last year has been my worst overall due to injuries. I didn’t really feel deserving but it is not my decision.

 

The last 8 weeks I was sidelined with some bad ringworm. However, last two weeks I have been back at it and I am basically still destroying most everyone. Size and skill/time on the mat is hard to beat no matter how you look at it.

 

Weighing in at 305lbs right now - smh.

 

The stress I have been under lately hasn’t helped my dietary choices.

  • Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

Wow - I am stoked to see this thread is staying active.

 

I have been struggling lately to log on, severe decline of my best friend who has cancer and some good work stressors are my excuse.

 

I received my brown belt in December. I have been training 6.5 years and to be honest this last year has been my worst overall due to injuries. I didn’t really feel deserving but it is not my decision.

 

The last 8 weeks I was sidelined with some bad ringworm. However, last two weeks I have been back at it and I am basically still destroying most everyone. Size and skill/time on the mat is hard to beat no matter how you look at it.

 

Weighing in at 305lbs right now - smh.

 

The stress I have been under lately hasn’t helped my dietary choices.

changing the diet part of my life was pretty hard

 

i'm trying to go pescatarian and leaning more towards a vegetarian diet

 

and i'm sorry for your friend, bro...yea, 2019 was an RSOB (rough son of a bitch)

 

and the fact that @misteravenwill be joining our cult is fucking rad

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah - i think @misteravenwill take to the sport very naturally considering his other interests 

 

two years ago I was weighing in at 245 lbs but 11/2018 I suffered a bad sciatic injury which really impacted my ability to exercise.

 

getting to gym and bjj regularly now, diet is next. 

 

i need to get back in my weight loss thread and make some progress.

 

  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of in the same boat fitness wise and definitely have some work ahead of me if I'm going to dig myself back out. I was 175 starting out this year which is the heaviest I could be and still be inside of recommended BMI at 5'10. Injury had me out for 2 months, and that god damn grill seduced me back up to 185 by end of August, and I held that weight until leaving my job in October. Since then I've been pretty much 100% sedentary outside of the gym, traveling a lot, and just eating like shit. Just over 200 now, but I do think I gained a little muscle weight in the process. Losing this 2nd trimester looking 25 pounds is going to require some serious discipline, but I've held it down since last week so hopefully I can make it down to 190 by the end of February.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been on pretty strict keto since the start of the year. I’m down maybe 7.5lbs which sounds like a lot, but last time I was on keto, weight literally melted off me. Then again, I’m not exercising at all right now, so maybe it’s that. Either way, I could probably stand to lose another 7.5 - 10lbs at which point I’ll be about as lean as I should be. Need to get back on the peloton and perhaps start a little strength training as well. Just been busy as fuck from work and work related stress has me pretty drained. Also been working most weekends, but also making big progress as well. As mentioned, I should be in a pretty good place by Spring and will hopefully be able to commit then. Will keep you guys posted. 

  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried everything, workout wise, when it comes to losing fat. I've  come to one conclusion...it's purely diet.

I've decided to lean towards a more efficient and utilitarian diet from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glorydays said:

I've tried everything, workout wise, when it comes to losing fat. I've  come to one conclusion...it's purely diet.

I've decided to lean towards a more efficient and utilitarian diet from now on.

Just cut out carbs. No sugar, no pasta, no bread. If you can do that, then target 15g a day total and you’ll slim down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...