Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
5 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

also now that I'm back in full swing my training schedule is not as I described before. It is as follows:

monday - upper body weights

tuesday - BJJ

wednesday - lower body weights

thursday - BJJ

friday - BJJ

saturday - BJJ

sunday - yoga

is yoga the only exercise you do for flexibility

9 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

I steal stuff from yoga and incorporate that into my before class stretching. I generally get there 30 minutes early to foam roll my tender spots and do some stretches.

yo foam rolling is a fucking life saver...I do it every morning

I literally cant function without it

Do you compete at all?

I haven't competed yet. I plan to in the next couple months and decide how many times per year I will compete based on how much I like it.

Funny story - another guy at my gym just competed for the first time. He always comes to class hungry, but 30 minutes before his first match decided to eat a giant sandwich. He was ok the first match but lost. Won his second match, and then on his third he was winning by 6 points but had to throw up. So he jumps up and tries to run off the mat, throws up just as he gets to the edge of the mat, steps in it, slips, and falls directly into it.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, iloveboxcars said:

I haven't competed yet. I plan to in the next couple months and decide how many times per year I will compete based on how much I like it.

Funny story - another guy at my gym just competed for the first time. He always comes to class hungry, but 30 minutes before his first match decided to eat a giant sandwich. He was ok the first match but lost. Won his second match, and then on his third he was winning by 6 points but had to throw up. So he jumps up and tries to run off the mat, throws up just as he gets to the edge of the mat, steps in it, slips, and falls directly into it.

omygod.....I feel sorry for his opponent

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

Transferred from a failed triangle to an omoplata today and successfully tapped someone I haven’t tapped ever before. 

My belt grew by two stripes today (what kind of loser is excited about stripes) so pretty excited about that. 

that's a difficult pass!

congrats, bro

27 minutes ago, iloveboxcars said:

I’ve actually been drilling armbar to triangle to omoplata and reverse with a friend lately and it seems to have paid off. It was almost a natural reaction to move to that omoplata. 

with practice it's no longer a scramble to get to that position, I feel it

i'm still in my diapers with bjj so shrimping is still a fucking struggle with bigger opponents

• 3 weeks later...

Havent been on 12oz much lately but I have just started doing jiu jitsu in october..dope to see other people doing it on the oontz..As a smaller guy I have been just consistently getting worked on drills and in the live rolls i do get to participate in. Feel like i need to improve my grip strength or just my strength in general. Im not weak (or at least i think im decently strong) but got damn it feels like I cant do anything to anyone. 

• Props 1

13 hours ago, simon sandleshit said:

Havent been on 12oz much lately but I have just started doing jiu jitsu in october..dope to see other people doing it on the oontz..As a smaller guy I have been just consistently getting worked on drills and in the live rolls i do get to participate in. Feel like i need to improve my grip strength or just my strength in general. Im not weak (or at least i think im decently strong) but got damn it feels like I cant do anything to anyone. 

I'm in the same boat....I feel strong but once you roll with another white belt with more experience than you....that shit is over with lol

• 2 weeks later...

Smaller guys should focus on movement over everything. Technique Conquers All. I'm 6ft 200lbs and strong. You'll never be as strong as me. Period. You need to focus on movement and how to control me. Watch small black belts on youtube instead of the bigger guys for technique demonstrations.

Probably biased but Caio Terra is a favorite of mine. He is also one of the most technical. There are definitely times where strength comes into play in Jiu Jitsu, when those times come you aren't going to better me.

As stupid as this might sound I envy smaller guys in Jiu Jitsu. I can sometimes supplement bad technique with strength, which doesn't teach me any lessons about BJJ.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, iloveboxcars said:

Smaller guys should focus on movement over everything. Technique Conquers All. I'm 6ft 200lbs and strong. You'll never be as strong as me. Period. You need to focus on movement and how to control me. Watch small black belts on youtube instead of the bigger guys for technique demonstrations.

Probably biased but Caio Terra is a favorite of mine. He is also one of the most technical. There are definitely times where strength comes into play in Jiu Jitsu, when those times come you aren't going to better me.

As stupid as this might sound I envy smaller guys in Jiu Jitsu. I can sometimes supplement bad technique with strength, which doesn't teach me any lessons about BJJ.

I put BJJ to the side for a few months

I've been strength training every day except sunday and Saturday....full lifestyle change, the fucking works

I quit drinking and everything else, upped my cardio, and am fully commited to super sets and circuit training

I realized during rolling that I have absolutely no muscle endurance...I am fully exhausted after around 5 minutes of rolling

that shit was pathetic so I'm starting to rebuild from the ground up...no dad-bod jiu jitsu here

I'm out this week because I got a cut on my leg and without treating it I went to Big Sur to camp, take mushrooms, and watch the band Kikagaku Moyo. It got infected. It's getting better though, swelling went down and there isn't any more puss. Maybe I'll try to get back on it on monday.

I honestly don't think you should put jiu jitsu on the back burner if you actually plan to continue with it. It is its own conditioning and training method. Also, as you learn jiu jitsu you learn where to rest and when not to, which helps you conserve your energy throughout a round. You do you though.

Did my first tournament last month. Lost both matches. First was because I went for a collar/sleeve drag and instead of pulling him next to me, I pulled him directly on top of me, then spent the rest of the round trying to get out from under him. Second match I was only given 5 minutes rest while the person I was up against had about 20 minutes, but his jiu jitsu was bad. I just went in tired and already defeated. I had the thought before the second match even started "I'm so tired, I can't wait for this to be over"

Also, it was Naga, which I suggest staying far away from. I was required to be there 2 hours before my scheduled time. Concession/water stand closed 30 minutes after I arrived, and my match got pushed back 2 hours. So I had to sit around for 4 hours with only enough supplies for 2ish hours.

I'm doing IBJJF open in April, can't wait for that. Going to be working mainly on my take down game for the rest of the month.

• Props 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, iloveboxcars said:

I'm out this week because I got a cut on my leg and without treating it I went to Big Sur to camp, take mushrooms, and watch the band Kikagaku Moyo. It got infected. It's getting better though, swelling went down and there isn't any more puss. Maybe I'll try to get back on it on monday.

I honestly don't think you should put jiu jitsu on the back burner if you actually plan to continue with it. It is its own conditioning and training method. Also, as you learn jiu jitsu you learn where to rest and when not to, which helps you conserve your energy throughout a round. You do you though.

Did my first tournament last month. Lost both matches. First was because I went for a collar/sleeve drag and instead of pulling him next to me, I pulled him directly on top of me, then spent the rest of the round trying to get out from under him. Second match I was only given 5 minutes rest while the person I was up against had about 20 minutes, but his jiu jitsu was bad. I just went in tired and already defeated. I had the thought before the second match even started "I'm so tired, I can't wait for this to be over"

Also, it was Naga, which I suggest staying far away from. I was required to be there 2 hours before my scheduled time. Concession/water stand closed 30 minutes after I arrived, and my match got pushed back 2 hours. So I had to sit around for 4 hours with only enough supplies for 2ish hours.

I'm doing IBJJF open in April, can't wait for that. Going to be working mainly on my take down game for the rest of the month.

I'll be getting back into it in a few weeks...I have a new gi coming in so I'm excited for that

where is the IBJJF gonna be held at? and that sucks bro, hopefully IBJJF won't be as bad

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, iloveboxcars said:

And you're right...I'm going to go back into the swing of things soon

I just felt like a fucking noodle not being able to hold up for a few minutes of rolling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shit I havent been to class in two weeks. Life has taken over, got behind in school, moving houses, been painting alot, and working alot in the evenings which is when the class i usually go to is. Its easy to get behind in jiu jitsu. While im out taking care of life my gym buddies are getting better and better.

I guess I went to one class last week. I keep gassing out during rolls, I hope I'm not being that spazzy dude but I just find myself panicking and trying to do quick movements but end up just gassing myself. It's hard for me to slow the fuck down during the roll and be patient, like instead of once the person passes my guard freaking out and oompahing and shrimping I just need to wait or an opportunity.

Once the roll starts it goes out the window

• Props 1

13 hours ago, simon sandleshit said:

Shit I havent been to class in two weeks. Life has taken over, got behind in school, moving houses, been painting alot, and working alot in the evenings which is when the class i usually go to is. Its easy to get behind in jiu jitsu. While im out taking care of life my gym buddies are getting better and better.

I guess I went to one class last week. I keep gassing out during rolls, I hope I'm not being that spazzy dude but I just find myself panicking and trying to do quick movements but end up just gassing myself. It's hard for me to slow the fuck down during the roll and be patient, like instead of once the person passes my guard freaking out and oompahing and shrimping I just need to wait or an opportunity.

Once the roll starts it goes out the window

I feel you....I panic during the roll, but then again, i'm a white belt

I try not to run myself ragged during a session...being patient is key

Just busted my cherry on BJJ Monday. I rolled with someone almost as equally inexperienced as myself (maybe 4 classes in ahead of me) and wasn't going into this blind so no real surprises. Ran some confusing ass strength training exercises where I flailed on the mat for the classes entertainment as a warmup, then drilled full guard into Triangle for about 40 minutes. I have rolled here and there at the gym before, but never officially took a class until this week.

I'm probably going to take BJJ classes twice a week now for the forceable future. I've been focusing on,  kickboxing at a local MMA gym (Tiger Shulmann's MMA) since last June,  but need to work on BJJ to move up so trying two BJJ classes a week for now until they start making me pay (I'm only shelling out for 3 classes a week, not 5 currently).  My gym isn't an official BJJ gym, but offers beginner/intermediate/expert classes for both striking, and BJJ (no gi). We're pretty well known in MMA, but not really known for our grappling. Our gym has always been MMA focused, and incorporated BJJ into it's program in the late 90's when the UFC made it clear you at least need to be able to defend large joints/chokes.

If I get into it enough which is a distinct possibility,  I'm considering taking classes at a Renzo Gracie academy close by. Don't know anyone going there myself currently but it seems legit. For now just trying to get slightly familiar with the basics at my gym. Our beginners BJJ classes are just focused on running drills for the basics, and from what I understand that's a good thing for beginners. By the time I start actually rolling it might be better to just focus on kickboxing at my gym, and try to earn strips/belts in an official BJJ school.

• Props 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ego completely crushed, I was able to pick up boxing/kickboxing fairly quickly the way I remember it. The triangle wasn't that tough for me to learn in my first class, but for some reason we drilled full guard into armbar and I had no clue WTF I was doing the entire time, like I couldn't tell my left from my right, and all my instincts were all 100% wrong. With almost no resistance, I got maybe 3 close enough to right out of 30 attempts. I honestly can't remember sucking at something so bad, super humbling but not so much I'm going to give up on it, probably going to give up one of the kickboxing sessions and do 2 BJJ classes a week. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How's everyone's fuckin brah lifestyle jiu jitsu journey going?

I've been hitting a lot of kimuras lately (mainly because I've decided to go for kimuras from literally everywhere). It's actually opened up a lot more submissions for me. Highly recommended.

Oss ya later.

• 2 weeks later...

Been drilling (mostly guillotines) 3 or 4 times a week now, 1 hour sessions for the last 3 months. I haven't actually rolled yet, and from what I gather running drills with higher belts I would get folded like laundry pretty quickly. I can do all the warmup drills now without looking like I've got a neurological condition, so at least I've got that going for me which is nice.