Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

Does anyone here practice Jiu Jitsu or wrestling?

I'm thinking about joining my coworkers in our local gym. But I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

1. How long have you guys been practicing?

2. Where do you guys train?

3. How do you guys train/build strength for it?

4. Do you guys where gis/no-gi and what brands do you guys prefer?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
13 hours ago, misteraven said:

Been considering it myself though I’m really trying to find a decent krav maga program that’s close by. 

this would be amazing as well...I took boxing in college, and I am a southpaw stance

other "striking" disciplines are on the table also tho

I want to learn ground work since that's where all fights end up anyway

Do not, but did a lot of research and such when I was in NYC and talked to a number of close people who trained, had a reputable place nearby too.  Kind of regret not taking advantage when I could.  If you have the money some places will do more individual/tailored type stuff where you can work 1:1 with a trainer, which was more my interest at the time.  At that point you're kind of doing what you want even though there are still basics you need to learn.  Instead of progressing through a belt/color system though you do some of those basics but also start right in on those personal interests, like I want to learn to defend against knife attacks or whatever your thing is.  Was also planning no gi.  Knowing my time there was short I had it in mind to arrange a set number of lessons just to learn those basics and develop a little muscle memory.

Still consider BJJ, but also Judo as I enjoy those trips and throws.  Aikido has also interested me.  I did Taekwondo for a short bit as a kid.

Of who is around on here I want to say @fat ralphyis currently in the ju-jits.

1 hour ago, One Man Banned said:

Do not, but did a lot of research and such when I was in NYC and talked to a number of close people who trained, had a reputable place nearby too.  Kind of regret not taking advantage when I could.  If you have the money some places will do more individual/tailored type stuff where you can work 1:1 with a trainer, which was more my interest at the time.  At that point you're kind of doing what you want even though there are still basics you need to learn.  Instead of progressing through a belt/color system though you do some of those basics but also start right in on those personal interests, like I want to learn to defend against knife attacks or whatever your thing is.  Was also planning no gi.  Knowing my time there was short I had it in mind to arrange a set number of lessons just to learn those basics and develop a little muscle memory.

Still consider BJJ, but also Judo as I enjoy those trips and throws.  Aikido has also interested me.  I did Taekwondo for a short bit as a kid.

Of who is around on here I want to say @fat ralphyis currently in the ju-jits.

I also want to learn foundation stuff and basics...i'm not out here trying to be in competitions....training to get me where I'm not useless in a fight

i'd rather do tailored stuff also...not just push through a belt system

23 hours ago, glorydays said:

I'm thinking about joining my coworkers in our local gym. But I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

If you're thinking about doing it, just go and do it.
You'll still wish you started earlier...

Grappling itself will make you stronger, particularly if you're not exercising a lot already. Bodyweight exercises are good.

Strength helps when you don't have technique but at the beginning you're far better of concentrating on getting better. Most people seem to train 3-5 times a week, and it's incredibly tiring and will take up a lot of time.

Also, remember when you start training you're not going to have a clue what you're doing. For a long time.

It's fine, everyone expects this.

Just now, poes said:

If you're thinking about doing it, just go and do it.
You'll still wish you started earlier...

Grappling itself will make you stronger, particularly if you're not exercising a lot already. Bodyweight exercises are good.

Strength helps when you don't have technique but at the beginning you're far better of concentrating on getting better. Most people seem to train 3-5 times a week, and it's incredibly tiring and will take up a lot of time.

Also, remember when you start training you're not going to have a clue what you're doing. For a long time.

It's fine, everyone expects this.

so its normal to not know what the hell is going on

alright, cuz the last time I went I looked like a fucking noodle

Just now, glorydays said:

so its normal to not know what the hell is going on

alright, cuz the last time I went I looked like a fucking noodle

Haha yes, just keep going even though you don't feel like you're learning anything.

Until one day someone else new turns up and they remind you of how retarded you were when you started and you realise you're no longer the worst person there.

I don't understand what you mean by tailored though?

• Truth 1

Just now, poes said:

Haha yes, just keep going even though you don't feel like you're learning anything.

Until one day someone else new turns up and they remind you of how retarded you were when you started and you realise you're no longer the worst person there.

I don't understand what you mean by tailored though?

open mat sessions, and not rigidly structured

no belts, no gis....just pure technique training

I'd be surprised if you can't find somewhere that does no-gi, with open mat and an instructor who is happy to teach whatever it is people need work on or are struggling with that week.

I think belts (whether you're physically wearing it or not) are sort of a necessary indicator of skill level when rolling with people you don't know. I've been training 18months and am still a whitebelt and am thankful every time I roll with an upper belt that they know to take pity.

Just now, poes said:

I'd be surprised if you can't find somewhere that does no-gi, with open mat and an instructor who is happy to teach whatever it is people need work on or are struggling with that week.

I think belts (whether you're physically wearing it or not) are sort of a necessary indicator of skill level when rolling with people you don't know. I've been training 18months and am still a whitebelt and am thankful every time I roll with an upper belt that they know to take pity.

I feel it....I always had to submit or I was gonna get hurt

I have been training between 2-4 times a week for the lat 5 years. 

Currently a purple belt - I have competed a few times at each belt level, still waiting to compete at purple belt. 

I would love to entertain any questions or if anyone near the SF bay area wants to check out a class let me know. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:29 PM, glorydays said:

1. 5 years - I started because I wanted to get into better shape and I did not have good discipline to be in the gym enough. I would run a few miles and I wouldn't lift or I would lift and I wouldn't run. I figured that if I started BJJ I would have to work at it or I would get smashed on. 

2. I train in San Jose - my instructor is a Carlos Gracie Jr. black belt. 

3. I only train BJJ seriously. I lift and do cardio on occasion - but I do BJJ 3 times a week for 1.5 - 2 hrs. per class. 

5. I have had a number of gi's started with a Fuji. I have also owned 93 Brand, War Tribe, Tatami.....thus far everything has held up pretty well. We now have an official team gi we are required to wear.

Right now I am 6'4" 280lbs - so I really am much bigger than most people I train with. 

• Props 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, fat ralphy said:

1. 5 years - I started because I wanted to get into better shape and I did not have good discipline to be in the gym enough. I would run a few miles and I wouldn't lift or I would lift and I wouldn't run. I figured that if I started BJJ I would have to work at it or I would get smashed on. 

2. I train in San Jose - my instructor is a Carlos Gracie Jr. black belt. 

3. I only train BJJ seriously. I lift and do cardio on occasion - but I do BJJ 3 times a week for 1.5 - 2 hrs. per class. 

5. I have had a number of gi's started with a Fuji. I have also owned 93 Brand, War Tribe, Tatami.....thus far everything has held up pretty well. We now have an official team gi we are required to wear.

Right now I am 6'4" 280lbs - so I really am much bigger than most people I train with. 

Holy shit...How is training with a Gracie like?

12 hours ago, glorydays said:

Holy shit...How is training with a Gracie like?

My instructor got his black belt from Carlos Jr. and spent about 10 years teaching at Gracie Barra in Rio.

He came over to the US in 2010 and has had his own school since then. Learning from him is awesome - he has unbelievable knowledge. We also have really great seminars with some of the best in the sport - Gordo, Tinguinha, Soca etc

Honestly, starting BJJ has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I will train until I am physically not able to do so...

For those of you just starting, I hope you stick with it. 

• Props 1

25 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

My instructor got his black belt from Carlos Jr. and spent about 10 years teaching at Gracie Barra in Rio.

He came over to the US in 2010 and has had his own school since then. Learning from him is awesome - he has unbelievable knowledge. We also have really great seminars with some of the best in the sport - Gordo, Tinguinha, Soca etc

Honestly, starting BJJ has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I will train until I am physically not able to do so...

For those of you just starting, I hope you stick with it. 

have you ever had to use it IRL

^^^^

No, I think due to my size and the fact that I don’t drink the circumstances aren’t really there for many physical altercations.

I will say this, I do not feel physically intimidated by anyone after training the last 5 years. I am pretty sure I would hold my own against the vast majority of people.

9 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

^^^^

No, I think due to my size and the fact that I don’t drink the circumstances aren’t really there for many physical altercations.

I will say this, I do not feel physically intimidated by anyone after training the last 5 years. I am pretty sure I would hold my own against the vast majority of people.

that's kind of what I want...the confidence knowing i'm not easily intimidated

On schedule to do 2, possibly 3 days a week of BJJ. I started at Tiger Shulmann's  this summer which used to be a competitive kick boxing focused gym,. After UFC in the 90's they adapted to include a strong BJJ program. I have to go up a belt in their beginners kickboxing class before getting into BJJ and should earn it by early November. Almost got my ass beat a few years ago by someone who in retrospect clearly trained BJJ, unfortunately for him he wasn't good enough to avoid the hands.

I have the feeling it will help me tremendously as far as mental attitude. I'm extremely anti-physical contact. I can't ride the train because I get annoyed when people unnecessarily bump into me, invade my space. I even get annoyed at my wife sometimes if we're sitting too close and her arm brushes mine. Actually rolling with people will put me in the deep end of uncomfortable physical contact, hopefully alleviating some of my annoyance for normal contact.

Anyway, just saw this on reddit, thought it was dope.

aftrwa55kpr11.thumb.png.3958a984e448c29804e8c4abe397ad93.png

• Props 1

1 hour ago, fat ralphy said:

@MercerBJJ is pretty much 100% uncomfortable physical contact - lolz, you will get over that personal space shit real quick.

I did Muy Thai for a year but stopped to focus on a jiu jitsu competition. I will be starting back up next week - only one night a week but its supplementary to my BJJ.

My coworker used to take ring boxing....he tried BJJ for a week and never turned back

He's the one who said i should go

I could se myself getting into it. For now I'm  enjoying sharpening my skills/muscle memory for boxing/kickboxing. Feels more practical for most street confrontations, or fending off multiple attackers and needing to bob/weave my way out of a situation.

BJJ seems way more technical, and I've been hearing so many people swear by it for years it seems like it could be a long term approach to building fitness, and combat skills. From what I've seen it's something that if you're well versed in it can help even the odds with a larger opponents more than any other martial art. I've watched females at my gym pretty much just have their way with male white belts, pretty sure that wouldn't be the case in kickboxing 99.9% of the time.

• Truth 1

• 3 weeks later...

I first got interested when a friend of mine invited me to one of his ground pajama karate sessions. Fell in love.

I've been going for 8 months. I've had to take 2 months off due to a rib injury though, so I generally say I've been training for 6.

Near Oakland, CA at PFMMA. It's a Caio Terra associated gym (who's main spot is in San Jose, only 45ish minutes away). Tyson Griffin (of UFC fame) owns the gym and trains there about once a week.

I thought it would be all I needed but I've seen now that I need to work on my core, especially my lower back in order to stop getting injured.

So my training schedule as soon as I go back full time (still got a slight rib injury) will be as follows:

Tuesday - 1 hr strength and conditioning, 1.5 hrs BJJ

Thursday - 1 hr strength and conditioning, 1.5hrs BJJ

Friday - 1 hr No Gi, possibly more if others stay instead of going to da club

Saturday -  1 hr open mat (maybe more)

Will probably throw a Monday in there every other week or so of only BJJ

It depends on the day. Friday's and Wednesday is no-Gi days at my gym. I prefer Gi though. My no-Gi stuff is some Under Armour shorts(not nut huggers) and one of those Nike sweat wicking shirts, both from REI. You don't really need BJJ gear for no-Gi so easier on the wallet at first.

Gi wise I have two.  a lightweight Hyabusa that has worked just fine for me. I actually prefer it over my normal Gi because I run hot and it allows more breathability. I also have the OSS brand one my gym used to sell. Now they sell Faze or something? I don't really like the design of it so I wont be buying one.

If you're looking for recommendations just go and get a $100 one of any one of the brands I or ralphy listed.

• Props 1

• 1 month later...