Break it down to me.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 10/3/2018 at 12:35 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

The collecting info on your habits for marketing purposes is definitely something they do, but I cannot see them selling their info to any other company because it'd make more sense to use it for their own purposes.  So, in that regard it may not be such a bad thing.  I, for instance, like that youtube will suggest to me things that I already like.  It makes finding new stuff easy when it relates my browsing habits to other peoples' that have similar viewing habits.  It's a double edged sword really with data collection.

Personal opinion, but I don't see much good in data collection and the attitude that it's helpful or harmless more than likely hurts people in the long run.  I imagine most people dislike junk mail, robo calls, door to door sales, etc., all unsolicited attempts to market things to people, but they appear ok with being bombarded by shit online and in their email.  Again, IMO, part of the problem is people do not understand the effects of those ads and their ability to influence people and their behavior.  BTW, not directed at you, but what you're saying there reflects the way many people think about it.  

I agree with you.  Nobody wants to be spammed.  I have a big sign on my front door that says "no soliciting" and yet, still have people, dumb kids mostly.... knocking on my door holding a clip board.

I'd say the "with great power comes great responsibility" applies.  Many companies with a lot of data aren't used to holding that kind of power.... and they misuse it either on purpose or on accident through negligence.  I think that the responsible way to market after data has been collected is in a non intrusive manner, this, unfortunately, is where many of them get it wrong.  I hate it when I sign up on a page that requires you to because they don't accept pay pal or guest checkouts..... then lo and behold I'm getting their weekly update emails even though I clicked "don't send me updates/newsletters".  I would say it, at some point, is going to cause legislation to happen making certain things not legal.... such as sending people newsletters even though they didn't ask for them.

It really boils down to greed I think.  The more data you can have, the more possible money you can make with all the possibilities that someone you market to may impulse buy.  This is why VPN connections and burner email addresses are good to use.  I have an email address "daddystop@gmail.com" that I use for anyone that I don't want to contact me but requires an email address to sign up.  I also use a google hangouts voice number to forward to my normal phone number.  This prevents me from giving people my actual phone number and allows me to use google to filter calls a lot better than my phone carrier allows me to.

I definitely don't think spamming in any manner is ok.  This includes circulars filling my mail box, dude on my door step that can't read a no soliciting sign, people blowing their horn crazily in traffic, homeless spamming me with cardboard signs at stop lights, bill boards lit up on the side of the highway, etc etc etc.  Really I look at a lot of it as an insult on my intelligence.  I know that's a bit extreme for thinking about it, but consider that I could be a very smart person... adept, aware of my world.  Why would you think that you're presenting me with some amazing opportunity/offer/special price that I was not capable of finding on my own.  I mean I own an internet machine that helps me find anything I want, whenever I want it.... so, to me, it's basically like you're saying I'm too dumb to find these awesome things without the help of you.  It's just annoying really, I'm pretty particular, more so than most people I talk to.

While we're on the subject, does anyone else think it's an incredible waste of paper to send circulars in the mail.... or paper mail in general.  I understand some things are 100% necessary to have a hard copy of, but advertisements in your mail there is no "opt out" there.  I think our US Mail system could use a serious rework for many reasons.  I check my mail like 1 time a week because it's mostly junk in there.  I'm sure my mailman hates me for it.

• 1 month later...