Break it down to me.

Dirty_habiT

Wtf is up with "new music".  I'm trying real hard to not seem crusty here.  I "discovered" some videos the other day on Diplo's youtube channel that really made me wonder what the heck is going on with music.

Lil Pump

Trippy Red

Little Xan

Their songs are very simple in terms of lyrical technicality, not that that's some measure of good music.... but I remember watching Scribble Jam videos where people with actual skills were trying to defeat eachother.  These new songs have the same word rhyming at the end of ever line and they same the same sentence multiple times and this constitutes a "song".  (For instance Trippy Red says in "wish" - i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face."  Like we get it dude, you're going to stroke out from a cocaine induced heart attack at 35.

I don't get the "whisper rap" or the people that sound like they've never taken a singing class in their life.  Again, i'm trying real hard to not be crotchety here about this but it really seems like our standards have just fallen through the floor that I thought was rock bottom.  Can someone give me some insight as to what it is the kiddos are finding so fascinating about this genre?

I'd bet money that most kids into this music, without looking it up, couldn't name 3 of the elements of hip hop.  If anyone else has anything else they're not understanding and need broken down for them, please ask here.  This doesn't just have to be about my new young person music question.

• Truth 1
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It’s pretty sad . . grew up on soulquarian / native tongue ish and really dug late 90s/2000s hip hop in general . . 

lil Wayne inadvertently birthed all of this shit , I dug the carter 1+2 but then other people kinda took it one step further over the past ~five years and it became some weird druggy shtick (whisper/mumble) that everyone emulates  .

there is always good stuff floating around , it’s just not on the radio or as accessible as per usual .

There’s this huge influx of jazz kids getting into hip hop and hip hop heads getting into jazz , which is causing some really dope shit (unavoidably some whack shit is also flooding the scene now - jazz kids holding two chords and all of a sudden they’re a hip hop band , hip hoppers thinking pretty chords/crazy fast lines that they sample is the only+best jazz) .

Hate it when I hear someone who was dissing rap / hip hop ten years ago talk about how dope mf doom is now lol . They’ll be off it as soon as the hype dies down and hop back on when it’s convenient . 

A return to jazz hop is a breath of fresh air & hip hops last hope imo - as long as it’s done properly with people who understand/respect both genres . 

Check out Robert Glasper + Terrace Martin  . their super group (R+R=Now) just played @ the Fonda here in LA on Monday night . They had rappers/neo soul singers + herbie Hancock showed up and played for a bit

Feels like Rap has been evolving for the better since it's birth, but it seems like it hit it's peak before 2010. While I do appreciate some of the stuff other people my age are enraged by, this feels like raps last few miles on a dead end road.

It's strange also having been into the punk scene because of skateboarding since the 80's. I remember rock music going through it's last days of decadence with bands we made fun of like Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi, Etc. Shit got ridiculous with men wearing women's makeup, hairspray, and spandex. Seems like rap is in the same faze now, motherfuckers walk around in NYC with the same shit ironically, ripped jeans, 80's rock band shirts. etc. Meanwhile there's probably some Nirvana type rappers nobody has heard of someplace, on some other shit that's going to make that shit outdated instantly as soon as they get exposure.

While you can still look back at the greats that started the hair band genre like Led Zepplin and appreciate the shit out of them, the only people looking back at Poison, and Warrant like that shit was good are lost in time douche nuggets still rocking mini mullets, or fat the ladies with tall hairspray styles. Nobody likes that shit today, and new rock is still referred to as "alternative". Nobody is going to look back favorably at post 2010 wildly popular rappers today and be like "Oh that's my shit".

That said, there is still some good shit coming out, just not much, and if we're being honest here the pop hip hop scene has always been garbage going all the way back.

• Props 1

9 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Wtf is up with "new music".  I'm trying real hard to not seem crusty here.  I "discovered" some videos the other day on Diplo's youtube channel that really made me wonder what the heck is going on with music.

Lil Pump

Trippy Red

Little Xan

Their songs are very simple in terms of lyrical technicality, not that that's some measure of good music.... but I remember watching Scribble Jam videos where people with actual skills were trying to defeat eachother.  These new songs have the same word rhyming at the end of ever line and they same the same sentence multiple times and this constitutes a "song".  (For instance Trippy Red says in "wish" - i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face, i can't feel my face."  Like we get it dude, you're going to stroke out from a cocaine induced heart attack at 35.

I don't get the "whisper rap" or the people that sound like they've never taken a singing class in their life.  Again, i'm trying real hard to not be crotchety here about this but it really seems like our standards have just fallen through the floor that I thought was rock bottom.  Can someone give me some insight as to what it is the kiddos are finding so fascinating about this genre?

I'd bet money that most kids into this music, without looking it up, couldn't name 3 of the elements of hip hop.  If anyone else has anything else they're not understanding and need broken down for them, please ask here.  This doesn't just have to be about my new young person music question.

i call it opioid rap, tumblr rap...they think theyre edgy cuz they do wild xanax and lean

i'm not a fan, i listen to the artists that i know is good

It’s  just you getting old tbh. The previous generation said the same thing about our music. Ya, it’s not as technically crafty as our rap was, doesn’t matter though. It’s the  youthful energy that drives it. Some of those guys you

mentioned have bangers, it just isn’t our thing and was never intended to be for us anyway.

Edited by Kults
  • Truth 2
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

Damn you all deliver.  There's so many things I want to respond to here it's going to take me a moment.

@Mercer- I definitely agree with your comparison to the hair bands.  I never thought about it like that but it's showing the same "signs of atrophy".  Good point.  That's not meant as a diss for anyone that likes this music.

@fat ralphy- In response to the dumbing down of society.... I've thought there are so many things that remind me of hurtling towards a world that is clearly outlined in Mike Judge's Idiocracy movie.  I'm usually not a person to say, "Have you seen xyz movie, WHAATTT you haven't seen XYZ MOVIE OMG you're missing out!!"... But seriously, go watch that movie, if for nothing else the humor in it.  The kid Lil Dee does give hope.  I knew right when I heard the beat he was using.

@Fist 666- 100% agree about the drug dealer vs addict music.  That makes a lot of sense.  Most of the stuff I'm referring to that's new just makes me think, "Do I have to be on heroine to like this music or something, I don't get it."

@luhem- Lil Wayne was definitely a little bit alarming at first with wild colored hair and face tattoos/piercings.  That was not "normal" for a "gangster" or for people in hip hop in general.  My experience with hip hop had me sharing the company with many folks that wished to remain low key in public and not draw any extra attention to themselves whether it was while doing something illegal or otherwise.  This new style is the exact opposite of low key.  I mean, when you wear those pants that have the crotch where your knees are and they're designed that way it makes me think that you stand out like a sore thumb and that some peoples' mamas should be dressing them.

@glory days- I do think it's weird that people publicly glamorize drug use.  You have impressionable youth hanging out at home for hours after school looking up to you because their parents are at work trying to make ends meet.  I also don't know why anyone ever privately glamorized it either.  I used to know this kid in high school that would always talk about how much he smoked weed.  I'm pretty sure he's a thoroughly used up burn out today after spending many years being stubborn and "smarter" than everyone around him.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

On 9/22/2018 at 4:18 PM, glorydays said:

i call it opioid rap, tumblr rap...they think theyre edgy cuz they do wild xanax and lean

i'm not a fan, i listen to the artists that i know is good

yep, the inception came with the Chopped & Screwed movement. Then the nation got flooded with pharmaceuticals....

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 4:31 PM, Kults said:

It’s  just you getting old tbh. The previous generation said the same thing about our music. Ya, it’s not as technically crafty as our rap was, doesn’t matter though. It’s the  youthful energy that drives it. Some of those guys you

mentioned have bangers, it just isn’t our thing and was never intended to be for us anyway.

While I agree with Allen, I agree with this as well. 

Was at a  Santigold concert and the DJ played  D.R.A.M. and Lil Yachty's "Broccoli" in between bands.  Entire place went nuts.  I knew at that point I had crossed an age threshold of which there was no recovery......

• Props 1
  • LOL! 2

to me...rap and hardcore punk are two sides of the same coin

they were, some are, anti-conformist, anti-authority movements that the youth would listen to to learn how to react to injustices

now....that way of thinking is lost...i dont know

the mumble rap today seems to think that they're above anything that has to do with current events

the use of drugs and the "trippiness" of the sound seem to evoke thoughts of being high or "above" it all

getting high is a way of escape is what it translates to me

• Truth 1

34 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Been on a Hank Willians Senior tip still. Oh yeah, still like Kanye. Bad Brains and Aphex Twin still on rotation. 

Cool... Guess I haven’t really missed anything. 

Current Rotation:

Zepplin

Ben Harper & Charlee Musselwhite

Odesza

Flume

Kruangbin

DJ Krush

Vince Staples

• Like 1

Haha, wish I could join in on the older music rally in here. Current Heavy Rotation is Bodega, and the New DJ Smokey album. Only thing that qualifies in my recently played is the Skatalites, but I've been reading 18th century authors like Voltaire, Adam Smith, and Foucault if that counts.

6 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

I hate Foucault more than I hate post-2010 rap.

Agreed, it wasn't a good read and left me with nothing gained.

6 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I just looked over Foucault's wiki page.  He seems to be a French Philosopher but without reading about him a lot more deeply I wouldn't know his shortcomings or merits.  Would you care to expand more on what you said?  This thread, again, doesn't have to be about music.

Oh oh oh and.... PAGE 2!!!

Read "Discipline & Punish" after seeing people quote him from this book.

The book started off pretty intense with a blow by blow description of a person being tortured to death in the late 1700's. Having their flesh torn in multiple points, then pouring hot lead and oil into the wounds, and finally quartering the guy which the original 4 horses failed at, so they tried using 2 more, when those horses were starting to fall out from exhaustion the executioner finally had to cut the guys legs down to the bone (while he was still conscious) to successfully finish quartering the prisoner with 6 horses total.

From there, it was a brief history of criminal justice leading up until the late 1800's/Early 20th century methods. Not sure if any of it was useful or insightful, but at least I'm no longer curious. Moved on to some modern non-fiction for now, best sellers to get that taste out of my mouth.

I've completely lost interest in new hip hop that comes out. I've tried to listen to it, put prejudices aside but it's fucking garbage, no beats, no rhymes just fucktards with shit tattoos and leased cars.

There is some good UK hip hop but even loads of that is just hey I smoke weed, I like to get aggy rrraaaaarrrr, fucking shit.

I genuinely can't be assed to find new music,  I think it's another thing the internet destroyed. It used to be something important, finding new artists, trying to source albums in the UK the only info you got was hip hop connection or source magazine. There is no search or mystique, everything things is available at a click of the button.

I wouldn't pay for music again, I haven't bought an album in probably a decade, why bother? 

• LOL! 1

19 minutes ago, Decyferon said:

I've completely lost interest in new hip hop that comes out. I've tried to listen to it, put prejudices aside but it's fucking garbage, no beats, no rhymes just fucktards with shit tattoos and leased cars.

There is some good UK hip hop but even loads of that is just hey I smoke weed, I like to get aggy rrraaaaarrrr, fucking shit.

I genuinely can't be assed to find new music,  I think it's another thing the internet destroyed. It used to be something important, finding new artists, trying to source albums in the UK the only info you got was hip hop connection or source magazine. There is no search or mystique, everything things is available at a click of the button.

I wouldn't pay for music again, I haven't bought an album in probably a decade, why bother? 

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. Finding music on the internet is great if you know how/where to look. Many extremely talented bands/artists that could never be found otherwise now have sites like soundcloud where they can share their music for free. No need to spend money to press a record, or record a demo on a cassette. Especially on the international scale, we now have so much more access to music from different places, its great. 

• Truth 2