Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercer

The Political Memes Thread (memes too spicy for Channel Zero)

This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Never really understood how this dude ended up on t-shirts. Crazy how he’s largely been given a pass and isn’t held up as an example of one humanities worst. 

• Truth 1

Pulled the trigger for, and coordinated hundreds of firing squads himself and ended up murdering hundreds of civilians in Cuba, Central, and South America before meeting the same fate himself. Great guy, bravely standing up to unarmed civilians like that. Adding to his leftist legend, he did not discriminate. Men, women, children, it did not matter, if you didn't hold the same beliefs that he did, you were dead. Every time I see some clueless pussy walking around in a Che shirt I don't want to argue/educate, I just calculate my chances of not getting arrested if I punch them in their parasitic face.

59 minutes ago, Mercer said:

647BF9AA-3A4E-4D64-B884-D32905318DB5.jpeg.8bf3940ab098945bc726ffe3165e4b20.jpeg

This one hits home 

Wish there was more explanation to the two graphs above, as well as more specific references cited so it can be properly examined. Seen these before, but feels like part of the picture is missing. In the second graph for example... Wonder why they don't call out the number of deaths the heading is representing? Seems to me it would be much more impactful to mention how with as many gun deaths as we hear about in media, it actually affects a fraction of 1% of the US population and that doesn't even rank in the top 15 causes of death in the USA. Would assume terrorism is even far less than that.

@misteravenIt's from Bill Gate's twitter, not sure if they're just his numbers, or if you can find any citations via image search.

Hit's my confirmation bias though, news is entertainment, and that's a reflections of how our brains work when given a choice. Like how often are we murdering in North America, VS,  how often murder occurs in various venues of entertainment, like video games, tv, movies, books, etc. as an example. I'd assume it would be over represented in the media due to natural market forces.

Confirmation bias is not a good thing, it's part of errors we are all prone to make in thinking.  As for the data above, on the one hand I have no doubt that the media is biased in reporting many, many things, and there is plenty that gets over/under reported.  Having said that though, the data provided is flawed in multiple ways, enough to make the true intentions of that report questionable.  It's somewhat similar to taking L.A. and Iowa newspapers and using them to say that the entire media over reports on movie stars and pig farms.

Mainstream media fell apart as soon as we moved away from local news to a focus on national news stories. Believe that this planted the seed to what we're seeing now where everyone thinks its their business to tell others how to live, while their own lives are often a mess. Also lays the foundation for the dichotomy we see where everyone is picking sides and the emotionally driven arguments that if you don't agree with me than you must be on the opposing side of the debate.

That being said, its easy for people to forget that news is a business and businesses exist to make money. Its far from the altruistic and unbiased reporting we idealize the news as. I've personally sat in enough meetings to know for fact how completely manipulated it all is, from the obvious shit like the click bait headlines, through to the more subtle stuff like the psycho linguistics of how a story is written, and even less obvious shit than that, like intentionally incorrect information and typos.

In fact, (not to derail the thread) but here's a document I came across when doing some research on gun control. (There are many others that are similar) Both fascinating and scary when you consider the work that goes into understanding human behaviors and what compels specific intended reaction and how that's being applied by people that have clearly stated agendas.

gun-violencemessaging-guide-pdf-1.pdf

@One Man BannedI could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure anyone that holds beliefs/convictions has a confirmation bias, which is why exploiting them is so commonplace.

Perfect Example: I hold the belief there is no better government ,than no government, so this article about a stage 4 cancer patient being sentenced to prison fits right into my pre-held belief regarding this subject very neatly and I find it compelling.

809611407_ScreenShot2019-06-13at10_24_08PM.png.e9c8b20b62fad8b6ddaa7c19d837f671.png

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/cancer-patient-who-ordered-thc-chocolates-to-self-medicate-gets-4-years-in-prison