Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
11 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'd say much of the military actions, and involvement on the periphery would be non-existent if Islamic extremism wasn't on the radar.

There's a difference between espionage, and government officials sending flying robots into another country to assassinate people. If anyone ever did that to the U.S. god help them, they would be obliterated.

The action 'on the periphery' was also taken well before 9/11 occurred though. Clinton hit Afghanistan after the US embassies were bombed by AQ in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam and I'd have to check but I'm also pretty sure that the baby food factory in Khartoum was hit before 9/11 as well.

Also keep in mind that the Nov3 2002 drone strike in Yemen (which I think might have been the first of its kind) was in response to the bombing of USS Cole, which occurred prior to 9/11.

OF course 9/11 ushered in a new era of shit but it was by no means the start of US action against global Jihadism, which actually goes all the way back to Black September and Munich (not necessarily jihadism though, when it comes to Palestine).

The US action in Libya and current action in Syria came about as a response to the Arab Spring, not 9/11. Sure, jihadism plays a role, but intervention in these countries likely would have even without 9/11, because on the whole the response in Syria is more about Iran and Russia than AQ. The Libya intervention was because Libyan forces were moving on the uprising in Benghazi. The jihadi threat didn't come until well after the US and Europe had intervened in the country.

Regards the sovereignty thing, sure, I get you now. However, the US has never launched strikes in Iran and Oman to my knowledge.

Edited by Hua Guofang