Mercer

1 hour ago, Joker said:

Maybe I don't understand the meme (it's possible, I'm 54... a lot flies right over my head), but I think there's a big difference between giving a 10 year a participation trophy for being part of a soccer game they didn't win and giving someone a hat for being drafted into a war their country didn't win. One requires zero sacrifice other than time away from video games while the other requires a much bigger sacrifice.

If it's the same thing maybe someone can explain it to me.

You went a little too deep. All memes should be accepted at face value with little to no extra contextualization.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

You went a little too deep. All memes should be accepted at face value with little to no extra contextualization.

Memes: good for a laugh for those with common sense, taken as truth for those without. Got it. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

11 hours ago, Joker said:

Maybe I don't understand the meme (it's possible, I'm 54... a lot flies right over my head), but I think there's a big difference between giving a 10 year a participation trophy for being part of a soccer game they didn't win and giving someone a hat for being drafted into a war their country didn't win. One requires zero sacrifice other than time away from video games while the other requires a much bigger sacrifice.

If it's the same thing maybe someone can explain it to me.

The Vietnam War hat is a participation trophy for a war that was lost, at least to me. That's not to say they didn't sacrifice, or that the war was fun for them, or that many participants weren't conscripted. What the meme is implying is that they lost, and still got participation trophies.

While comparing war, with any other sphere of human competition is generally apples and oranges on many levels, on the participation trophy level, it's almost identical. The humor (which is subjective) comes into play because the Vietnam Vet generation tends to complain about participation trophies for kids, while often times wearing one over their head. I find it humorous because I'm already 100% anti (non defensive) war to begin with, and like challenging the social norms surrounding it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

The Vietnam War hat is a participation trophy for a war that was lost, at least to me. That's not to say they didn't sacrifice, or that the war was fun for them, or that many participants weren't conscripted. What the meme is implying is that they lost, and still got participation trophies.

While comparing war, with any other sphere of human competition is generally apples and oranges on many levels, on the participation trophy level, it's almost identical. The humor (which is subjective) comes into play because the Vietnam Vet generation tends to complain about participation trophies for kids, while often times wearing one over their head. I find it humorous because I'm already 100% anti (non defensive) war to begin with, and like challenging the social norms surrounding it.

I should have led with: I get what the meme is saying, but I think it's a fairly big leap to compare the two, even for the sake of a laugh. On the surface the two are comparable and probably why the meme works. I did find it funny, but I couldn't stop analyzing it for some reason... obviously.  

I'll go back to the toy thread where I cause less trouble. 

• LOL! 4

2 hours ago, Joker said:

I should have led with: I get what the meme is saying, but I think it's a fairly big leap to compare the two, even for the sake of a laugh. On the surface the two are comparable and probably why the meme works. I did find it funny, but I couldn't stop analyzing it for some reason... obviously.  

I'll go back to the toy thread where I cause less trouble. 

Same here, I'm closer to 50 myself than 40 now. In general, most of our generation has been indoctrinated with 12 years of the pledge of allegiance, movies like Red Dawn, and basically an entire psyche that upholds the ideals of empire. Most countries would never invade others, but that's kind of our thing, and can be accomplished with near zero pushback from a public as indoctrinated as we all are.

For me, I grew up an "Army Brat" basically lived in Germany 6 years, watched my dad, and all his friends wear woodland camo. Literal jets with the engines left running with hydrogen bombs ready to rip. When you're an Army Brat, basically everyone you know is either in the Army themselves or a dependent because you're bouncing around on military bases. My dad enlisted out of HS for Vietnam and pretty much ended his career after the cold war finished. I still shop at Lowes today because of the veteran discount program they have, even though I hate the government. 

Point being, religion of spiritual nature has been replaced with a religion of state. Questioning the validity of honoring a veteran is sacrilege, and that's where the wildly uncomfortable feeling comes in. Similar to when democracy itself is questioned, with less right wing cringe aftertaste. A unique spice. Calls into question every time you've appreciated the aesthetics of a flag, the star spangled banner, 4th of July fireworks as a kid, etc. Sends the mind down a path where it's entire foundation needs to be rebuilt if you're going to process just how useless the Vietnam war was. That's the beauty of the meme. The reality is war is the most terrible human endeavor of all time, and maybe the participants shouldn't be honored in the same unquestionable way people once honored actual religion. Burns at first from the spice, but delicious after you've acquired the taste.

• Like 2
  • Props 1