Side Hustles

+plus+

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 8/31/2018 at 12:16 AM, Hua Guofang said:

Propagating plants and selling them on our version of Craig’s list. If people only knew how easy it is and what they are paying for. 

Career related but I also edit a journal. Doesn’t pay too well but the non-financial returns are high. 

Cloning? 

On 8/31/2018 at 2:16 AM, Hua Guofang said:

Propagating plants and selling them on our version of Craig’s list. If people only knew how easy it is and what they are paying for. 

Career related but I also edit a journal. Doesn’t pay too well but the non-financial returns are high. 

Care to share what kind of plants?  Sounds like an interesting hobby.

working on cars can be ok on the side if you stick to simple shit like breaks and basic tuneups, I can always make a quick buck doing that. But doing engine swaps can really be a pain in the ass without the proper tools. right now I'm helping a friends do a rb20det swap in a 240sx, also a 2jz 240sx swap , and my own 5.3 full size jeep engine swap. I gotta say HP Tuners has been great once you learn how to use it.

Interesting topic. 

Lately I’ve been working on a pasture and when it came to doing the posts, I found out that there’s literally only one hydraulic post pounder in the entire valley (which consists of 3 towns). Lots of people just pay for fences to be installed. The rest either manually dig holes, use an auger or most often, get an auger attachment for their tractor or bobcat. 

Manual augers take forever, and come to find out that a bobcat with an auger costs $1000 a day to rent. So came up on a hydraulic post pounder via craigslist which rents for $200 a day. Took two weeks for the guy to respond and another week for an empty day so I could use it. 

Worked very awesome and I went from drilling holes for 1 - 3 hours per hole with a one man auger, to pounding in a post effortlessly in about 4 minutes. 

Anyhow, I looked into it and they’re about $7k used in great condition. That means it’s paid off in about 35 days and then generates $200 a day after that. Even with how few months we have without snow, this still seems to be a freakin come up and wondering if I should jump in on it as a side hustle. 

Not the usual hustle, but if you look outside the box, bet there’s more opportunities to make easy money like that. Literally takes zero effort. Dude has a waiver you sign, you pick up and drop off from his house. Equipment is crazy heavy duty so can’t imagine it breaking down easily. 

Edited by misteraven
*corrected a few typos
  • Props 2

• 4 weeks later...

Piano lessons to children of wealthy folk in Orange County , what I charge depends on what you drive . Locked in a weekly gig for a family that had a brand new Maybach sitting on the driveway of their posh Newport Beach mansion - $85/hour to turn their baby girl into a pseudo pop Star ️ . . “Alright now try this Becky , read this newspaper out loud and play these chords at the same time” . (If the kid takes it serious I do too , usually they don’t)

Just completed my first resale of sneakers yesterday - pretty great feeling ! Made a cool chunk of cash , the apps I use take 9/9.5% and Paypal takes 2.9% for a total of ~13% . Made $120 on the flip , subtract the 13% in fees and I pocketed $104 . 90% of the work was done while I was taking a shit , the other 10% was printing the free shipping label that was sent to me and then a 5 min bike ride to the UPS store down the street .

• Props 1

I tried selling my zine but it didn't work out!

I see guys on Insta offering to pay $50.00 a shot for good clean running shots of their panels. ( clean trains)

Considering the amount of time I used to spend benching trains I wish they were offering back then would have made a mint.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:30 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I work on cars for a performance shop on the side.  I also bought HVLP spray equipment to do high quality metal coatings on cars, outdoor furniture, bathtubs, counter tops, and basically anything else you don't want or cannot take to a powder coater.

My next side hustle will be tig welding.

I can weld tig and mig

both really valuable skills imo

^^ Yes, I really just want to be able to make car parts or anything I want really.  There's a really good channel on youtube that I watch a lot called 6061.com.  His videos are awesome because he does things quickly without making you sit through some long video of him cleaning metal up. 

@Brink- do you make any metal art at all?  My girlfriend has a friend that makes art out of car parts.  Some of her work is really amazing.