12ozProphet Pelaton Riders?

misteraven

Wondering if any of you guys are into the Pelaton thing?

https://www.onepeloton.com/

My wife has one and I've been riding off and on. Honestly, I can't stand exercising for exercises sake. Love a few actual sports that are clear exercise but to sit there throwing weights or just doing exercise for its own sake is something I've always hated and struggled to do, despite knowing I really should.

Definitely helps when you have a workout partner you get along with and that helps motivate you, as well as keep shit fun and interesting so you're distracted from what youre actually doing, but that's almost impossible to find on a consistent basis unless you're paying for a trainer.

Pelaton has come a really long way to bridging that gap for me. Honestly, its a really brutal workout depending on what class you're taking, but some of the instructors on there are really great and the way the whole system functions with all the interactive display, stats and real time feedback and networking is enough to almost get me to forget that I'm sitting on a stationary bike sweating to death.

Anyhow, was wondering if any of you guys are on there? Despite my huge criticisms regarding social media, the social aspect in this regard is something that looks useful and fun. Would be cool to link up on there and race and see if we can distract a bit from the monotony of exercise.

Any of you on Pelaton? If anyone was thinking about it, let me know and I'll float you an affiliate code that'll earn us both a big discount.

For that matter, any of you guys spin at all?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

A few years ago my apartments had them and I rode the shit out of them, partly because hot neighbors. It was pretty enjoyable. 

What kinda discount? I can't see committing $100/mo to it, that's a climbing gym membership or most of a real gym which likely already has the bikes as well as pools and weights... the at home piece is undeniably intriguing, still. 

6 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

What kinda discount? I can't see committing $100/mo to it, that's a climbing gym membership or most of a real gym which likely already has the bikes as well as pools and weights... the at home piece is undeniably intriguing, still. 

Have to check, but I think its like $100 - $200 off a bike.

Owning a Pelaton is way cheaper than a spin class or spin gym membership. If you've ridden a real Pelaton, you know that the brilliance is in the interactivity and streaming classes. The bikes are something like just under $3k, but they finance up to something like 3 years. Believe you get like 6 months of classes free and then its a monthly fee, but event with the monthly finance and class, it came in just below the $120 my wife was paying at whatever big spin class gym she was at and she actually had a founders membership that was $40 a month cheaper. Pelaton supports unlimited profiles, so though you dont save a ton versus a gym membership if you're financing it or recouping the bike cost (though at least you own it), once you have a second rider, it really makes a ton of sense. At my house we have 4 riders so as far as I see, there's no question. Plus with long hard winters, its really great versus having to motivate and go hit a gym, which often is an extra hour of your time between the drive there and back.

Anyhow, not really trying to convince anyone to buy it... Mostly just checking to see if anyone is on it so we can setup some races / classes. Figured it might make it more fun.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 6:06 AM, Fist 666 said:

The wintertime piece I buy into for sure. Starting October I leave for work and start work in the dark and get home in the dark, it's real tough to stay hyped about being active after work like that.  

I am seriously considering it. 

Keep me posted if you do. I can send you a coupon code that's worth like $100 off or something like that.

Yeah, they aren't cheap but I can vouch for the quality of the bike and especially the content and support. It's not for everyone, but I recall paying more for a gym membership when I was in NYC and know my wife was spending more for only her membership at a spin club when we lived in CA. If you're dropping a fair bit on any type of gym membership and especially if you can spit it with someone else that is doing the same, its well worth it and becomes a huge money saver in the long run.

Anyhow, not trying top convince anyone that can't afford it or isn't interested. Just thought maybe someone would have a bike already or maybe was considering one.

I'm in the same group as @metronome- I have a Wahoo KICKR and link that up to my Zwift account, set up  an iPad on the counter in my garage, and ride. For years I rode a "dumb" indoor trainer and stared at a wall for 90 minutes to two hours on cold, wet days here in the Northwest. And then a few years ago I invested in the KICKR and it has literally (and I'm using that word correctly) changed my winter indoor training for the better. The smart trainer recognizes differences in terrain and adjusts its tension according to the elevation on the virtual roads. Riding with others, or doing virtual races is great as well. Doing two hours on the bike indoors is not annoying/boring like it used to be, and that means in winter I look forward to rides after work like I do in summer. 

I think the big seller for me with regards to a smart trainer or a stationary bike is that I can train on my everyday bike, which is ideal. I know stationary bikes can be set up to feel similar to your every day bike but not exact. Probably not a big deal for folks who are using them for 60 minutes of exercise but for guys who are doing intense intervals and long rides... riding your own bike is ideal. 

@misteravenit's peloton ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joker said:

I'm in the same group as @metronome- I have a Wahoo KICKR and link that up to my Zwift account, set up  an iPad on the counter in my garage, and ride. For years I rode a "dumb" indoor trainer and stared at a wall for 90 minutes to two hours on cold, wet days here in the Northwest. And then a few years ago I invested in the KICKR and it has literally (and I'm using that word correctly) changed my winter indoor training for the better. The smart trainer recognizes differences in terrain and adjusts its tension according to the elevation on the virtual roads. Riding with others, or doing virtual races is great as well. Doing two hours on the bike indoors is not annoying/boring like it used to be, and that means in winter I look forward to rides after work like I do in summer. 

I think the big seller for me with regards to a smart trainer or a stationary bike is that I can train on my everyday bike, which is ideal. I know stationary bikes can be set up to feel similar to your every day bike but not exact. Probably not a big deal for folks who are using them for 60 minutes of exercise but for guys who are doing intense intervals and long rides... riding your own bike is ideal. 

@misteravenit's peloton ?

Looks pretty cool and I can definitely see how a serious bike rider would be into that considering you can ride your own road bike. But definitely not for me. Besides not having a road bike, what makes Peloton awesome for me is the instructors and the software / stats. It's not just that you're distracted watching something other than a wall, but really losing yourself so you stop thinking about how grueling the ride is. Peloton does a really great job with that between the classes / instructors and how the interface actually works.

You should see if you can find one you can try. Would really love to hear your feedback seeing as how you're a serious rider. Especially considering many (most) of the instructors are hard core cyclists as well.

• Like 1

@misteravenalready owning a second roadie made more financial sense for me to buy a smart trainer.  I know somebody with a peloton though and she really likes it, and I can see why.  Zwift offers a similar community feel while riding but it doesn't have the personalized touch of the streamed workouts and instructor interaction.  There are built in achievements etc you can hit and you unlock different kit for your avatar to use on Zwift.  

What kind of stats is peloton tracking for you?  I'm assuming HR for sure.  I don't train as hard as @JokerI'm assuming because I don't race (except against myself), but the stuff I'm keeping track of is HR zone time, wattage, watts/kg average, and average speed.

20 hours ago, misteraven said:

Looks pretty cool and I can definitely see how a serious bike rider would be into that considering you can ride your own road bike. But definitely not for me. Besides not having a road bike, what makes Peloton awesome for me is the instructors and the software / stats. It's not just that you're distracted watching something other than a wall, but really losing yourself so you stop thinking about how grueling the ride is. Peloton does a really great job with that between the classes / instructors and how the interface actually works.

You should see if you can find one you can try. Would really love to hear your feedback seeing as how you're a serious rider. Especially considering many (most) of the instructors are hard core cyclists as well.

I went to a class twice that used them. There were two instructors both times, which was kinda weird but the class was pretty big so I get it. It was definitely a hard 60 minutes, no doubt, but ultimately not for me. The majority of my training rides are focused and geared toward improving overall fitness for targeted races. That's not to say the Peloton classes wouldn't get me there for short, intense race efforts, but I don't think I would gain any long endurance fitness doing the Peloton classes, at least not for the 3+ hour hammer rides I do every Saturday. I would probably do okay on the shorter races that are a lot of quick, intense jumps in power output... like a criterium or short track MTB race, maybe even a CX race. 

I did do a few classes on a Stages bike as well. The 90 minute ride was definitely geared toward cyclists who race, and that shit was suuuuper hard, but it still wasn't my bike. That said, I loved all the data that comes from riding on a Stages indoor bike. And you can sign up with Stages and choose a training plan to work toward a fitness goal. 

I think ultimately I would have to get one of those indoor bikes for pretty cheap in order for me to get one for home. The Peloton bike/classes is definitely on to something, obviously, so if it works for you I would keep with it. Especially with the winters you have it's nice to have an indoor exercise option like that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I'd probably get a mountain bike w/ full suspension.  I'm looking at getting a Santa Cruz Bronson because there's a lot of good trails to ride here.  With you living close to mountains @misteravenyou probably have some fantastic places to ride, perhaps even on your own property.

Yeah, there's a ton or trails here. I'm new to this sport, or at least thinking of it as a sport and not just a fun past time. I did buy a pretty nice bike about a year ago, but I was sup slammed all summer that I didn't even make it out once on my bike unfortunately. The local ski resort converts to a mountain bike resort for summers and you see cars with racks and bikes driving around everywhere, so definitely seems to be a major place for it from the little I know about it all.

Uh, yeah... it's huge there. In spring I downloaded this app so I wouldn't have to depend on friends to tell me where all the cool trails are. I rarely ride my MTB solo but when I do it's nice to know where I'm going, where the trail goes, and how the hell to get back to my car. 

• Props 1

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

@Jokerone of these we'll both need to crawl out of our respective caves and meet catch up. You really aren't super far and would be fun to ride, if you have the patience to not be bothered too badly when I slow you down. Maybe even some snowboarding?

Yeah, I definitely want to come hang for a long weekend but at this point it'll probably have to wait till spring/summer, which is probably better for MTB where you are anyway. I'll make you make time for it. And I have no problem riding at a pace that doesn't make me cross-eyed. 

And LOL at snowboarding ?

• Like 1

Peloton is probably good indoor training for the mt. bike but I think once you get out there on some trails and get some experience it will be no match.

I've been riding Emma Long Metropolitan park here in Austin, TX (look up some yt videos of it) about 3 times a week now on dirt bikes.  There are some mt. bikers that show up out there but, honestly, I'm not sure how they can even ride back in there.  The trails are considered advanced and i've heard the term "world class" thrown around a few times.  It's hard on dirt bikes and I'd think there'd be a lot of spots where even the most experienced mt biker would have to get off the bike and carry it up the rock steps.

I just started a new job w/ some guys that are serious about mt. bikes so I can see myself getting one in the near future.

@Joker- thanks for the app link, it looks very useful.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yeah, lot of that here as well. Even have a nice mountain bike that I've never actually taken mountain biking. Weather here can be pretty brutal, which is partly why we have it. Anyhow, would be pretty awesome if we could rally a small 12oz group together. Sure would make it a little more fun and a little less grueling.

• 1 month later...

Did not pay attention at all to this thread, did not get the attraction.  Then Howard Stern talked about getting one a few weeks ago.  Then today he talked about the instructor and now I know what all you pervs are doing lol.  Said this chick's shit was so tight he felt you could see her pussy through it lol, went on & on about this chick and how he can't possibly have her as an instructor again because she's too much, plus her bio.  Looks like she likes to graf and dance too.

image.png.b38e7194670969e9bd820b3fe7964e56.png

image.png.e9ced5ba4e36818134da981437983801.png

image.png.92c245c879e5fb0dd9ebd5ae3dbe9805.png

image.png.64c58c9d7c8523a61a0e6d31506aa038.png

image.png.506ea245e7eb9b226f76929c360153cd.png

image.png.795982a7a6608d85e9a855dc3bef1162.png

2 hours ago, ~KRYLON2~ said:

I was thinking about purchasing a Pelaton sometime before winter hits, midwest winters seem to be getting harsher and I love riding my bike so it seems to be the logical alternative

Drop me a message if you get it. I can give you a referral code if you want a discount but yeah, would be cool to finally ride with someone.