Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GnomeToys

Internet Crossover Art / When Memes Go Too Far

So a lot of this type of shit is stencils, confusing signs people hang up, etc...  basically weird internet shit crossed over into the world of reality. I find this kind of stupid unless pulled off correctly.   The first one is hopefully "I did it for the lulz" because they wheatpasted a fucking stencil, but I suspect there wasn't that much thought put in it.  The second is better because somebody was spamming them all over their neighborhood and the sign is close enough to a lost dog poster to draw some attention to the (useless) message on it.     I've got some older flyers people were spamming years ago I have to dig up...   decided to kick this off, not sure where it would fall otherwise.   A lot of it is a different category than graffiti but has similarities.  Here's some I found in my photos / saved files recently, I'll dig more up as I sort through files. 

I know there are more examples of it floating around so I figured I'd make a thread.

forthelulz.thumb.jpg.3d27b98fd99bbc96b36ddffeb0acf473.jpg

These were being put up somewhere or another for a while

cuss_dog.jpg.6bc82621bf6f74a3da76bc875b061a3f.jpg

I always liked the look at this dog one.  

Is there a difference between what you're calling internet crossover art, and hipster/street art invaders?  I mean some of it is pretty talented/creative, but the rest..... don't they do stuff like the above?

Posted (edited)

It's kinda hard to say there, because it's a fine line.   I think the first one I posted definitely falls under hipster shit,  even more so because this was a legal city-wide thing so any quality level is a mixture of misguided "street art" styling and laziness.    The second is funny and people who don't spend their entire lives on the internet could probably laugh at it even though it's based off the whole extreme advertisement meme. 

I don't really care which people post.  

Some quick searching found whatever the hell was going on here as an example of plain old shit nobody cares about ending up in reality:

rip_mural_taylor.jpg.df778d412ebec453a59b1f3cf09a4f9a.jpg

rip_mural_harambe.jpg.89f6bb4b7fbb4b69943a2eb20431e5ff.jpg

rip_mural_kanye.jpg.7210fd29884e019ad8de1aa1c183773f.jpg

Regardless of the content, those were at least done well. 

Edited by GnomeToys

definitely lush. i was excited to see cope throws when i was iiving in ireland, turned out it was Lush... #coolstorybr0

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this