All Camo evvverrryythang!

misteraven

So started getting deeper into camo patterns and military surplus and come to realize how hard it's starting to get to find vietnam era or older. In fact, even the chocolate chip stuff from the first gulf war isn't as available as it was.

I recall a time when they used to practically give away the woodland camo BDU stuff and now its getting dumb expensive. Been looking for a couple camo grail pieces, including whatever I can get in either medium / long or large long pants in golden tiger stripe and ERDL tropical. Even standard ERDL in my size would be good.

Anyhow, would love to get unissued surplus, but now I'm starting to see even heavily warn shit going for as high as $300, which seems insane to me. Again, I remember when you could cop at $5 - $15.

Anyone have any good sources, online or local, for authentic military issue surplus?

Feel free to post your camo grails below. If its not legit camo, it better be double, extra heavy hitting.

golden tiger stripe reference

post-1523-1214343078.jpg.511111bcd9db4ba2b8a50c6063a40a34.jpg

ERDL tropical reference

7747872724_ddb6b134b9_b.thumb.jpg.81bd85e578ef428770b84d86ca7f5399.jpg

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
14 hours ago, misteraven said:

This isn't legit vintage surplus though is it?

Pretty fresh either way, but just asking.

oh no...it was a recreation by a brand called TSPTR

they were working along side another company that takes Vietnam era material and makes clothing out of it

Not sure man, she's regularly attached from all angles. Can't see why she'd bother staging something like that when all she has to do is wait.

Plenty of info out there about how a Soros funded parent company helped bus BLM members to various protests that also happened to have professionally printed protest signs. Same thing happened back in the occupy days as well.

• Truth 1

• 1 year later...

I spotted a baby copper head in the dead leaves at a park we were camping at one time (Lost Maples).  I was actually amazed that I spotted it because it's camo was spot on for the place it was hanging out.  It was at dusk and there were a bunch of kids/dogs/parents running around like wild animals where it was too.  I chased it into the creek w/ a stick. 

To answer your question, I don't have any camo stuff..... not sure what I'd really want tbh.... maybe something for camping like one of the ENO brand camo hammocks w/ bugnet and all that jazz.

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I spotted a baby copper head in the dead leaves at a park we were camping at one time (Lost Maples).  I was actually amazed that I spotted it because it's camo was spot on for the place it was hanging out.  It was at dusk and there were a bunch of kids/dogs/parents running around like wild animals where it was too.  I chased it into the creek w/ a stick. 

To answer your question, I don't have any camo stuff..... not sure what I'd really want tbh.... maybe something for camping like one of the ENO brand camo hammocks w/ bugnet and all that jazz.

I’ve been very fortunate with my snake run-ins too, especially when rock climbing out in the middle of nowhere and shoving hands in the rock faces or bushwhacking to and from anchors. Have had some close calls but have been very lucky. Biggest disturbance so far has been pissed off bats at dusk lol 

Even though there are so many patterns available it still seems like the best bets are a simple olive or coyote color. You can get some smoking deals on camp gear from surplus if you have a need. 

I was working at an airbase in NV a few years ago and got a good score at the local surplus. Was able to cop a gore-tex rain jacket with powder guard at the waist. Got some good use out of it when I used to snowboard and now Usually keep it in the trunk for rainy days instead of an umbrella. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Vid on a camo developed to combat early night vision tech 

edit- the idea with this pattern was that at the time night vision displayed somewhere like 240p. So the small ~1/4” x 1/4” grid would pixelate that image even more and wash out the silhouette. But the camo did not evolve at the same pace the the NG tech so it was outdated by the end of desert storm 

6B491578-F464-44A5-9F5E-355E283C9D56.png

2CBAF44B-923B-4B69-864B-A5EA91B17291.png

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:45 AM, WorldBench said:

One jacket I've always wanted but hard to find is the Adventure Tech DCU Reversible Gore-Tex Night Camo Parka.

image.thumb.png.ec7298fd7a79b85ef2a4c070b30547fa.png

image.thumb.png.48d8febb17fc7167ecf27bf7e31a85ef.png

Same one I posted just above! Interesting that your pic is the six color non chocolate chip but they kept the chocolate chip on the NV side. That vid I posted goes into the development of this pattern if you’re interested. 

33 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Same one I posted just above! Interesting that your pic is the six color non chocolate chip but they kept the chocolate chip on the NV side. That vid I posted goes into the development of this pattern if you’re interested. 

Yep! The video is awesome very informative. The crazy thing is under PVS7's and PVS14's DCU's (Tri Color Deset Camo) and BDU's (Woodland M85, but we called them BDU's) both stick out like a sore thumb. Multicam (OCP) and ACU/UCP (There were 2 versions, We called the ACU, which was for Garrison, and then  1 was for Deployment which was FR and High Contrast or UCP) you could hardly see under Nightvision.

• 3 weeks later...