Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to browse the internet without being spied on.

Mercer

You're cool man. I am in the same boat, I just do my research and any technical jargon I do not understand stand, ill look it up so I can at least follow what little I understand and then go from there.   I think it wise to at least have two browsers, one for oh crap moments and one for everyday go to.  Kinda like what happened to me with the password thing.  

• Like 1
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You're cool man. I am in the same boat, I just do my research and any technical jargon I do not understand stand, ill look it up so I can at least follow what little I understand and then go from there.   I think it wise to at least have two browsers, one for oh crap moments and one for everyday go to.  Kinda like what happened to me with the password thing.  

• 3 months later...

It appears that it is not working through my vpn provider.  VERY interesting.  Almost as if VPN traffic into the signal network has been blocked.  There aren't any good reasons for this to happen or for VPN access to Signal network to stop working.

58 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

I just hope text threads don’t get leaked one day. 

I think just about everything has been leaked.  Or at least stored.  If not yet, only time would tell. 

1 hour ago, Dark_Knight said:

Is iMessage secure? I always used it because I figured it was more secure than sms. I just hope text threads don’t get leaked one day. The world will end 

I would say it may be more secure than normal text but only marginally.  The idea is to keep the big tech companies out of your business and the way to do that is end to end encryption.

Signal App offers this.  I would switch to using Signal if I were you and encourage everyone else you know, family and friends, to do the same.  Both of my parents use it.

• 1 month later...

wasn't sure where to inquire but this seems like a good place. password keepers and what do yall think of them? i want to switch all of my devices over to the brave browser but i've heard things get all fucky with your passwords through google or whatever. when i really think about it i have so fucking many. would like to store in one place. do any of yall have/use?

I recently made the switch to a password manager after years of thinking about it and it's really not that hard, and you feel way more secure.

I use Bitwarden (free) which works pretty well on iphone, plus browser add ons and desktop app.

Also check: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your details are being sold online. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

wasn't sure where to inquire but this seems like a good place. password keepers and what do yall think of them? i want to switch all of my devices over to the brave browser but i've heard things get all fucky with your passwords through google or whatever. when i really think about it i have so fucking many. would like to store in one place. do any of yall have/use?

I use LastPass, its great 2 factor erything

No, people are ditching LastPass because of their coercion to make people upgrade to premium.

They were recently acquired via the acquisition of LogMeIn who owned Last Pass.

The new owners instantly decided LastPass, which has been free forever, now costs money to use on both your phone and your PC.  This, understandably, upset the community of users and many have jumped ship.  I shaved my legs for this?

I'm going to use BitWarden as @poesmentioned.... but it's going to require me to export all of my stuff out of LastPass.

Because, fuck greed.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo! @NightmareOnElmStreet I figured out my brave password issue, as why brave kept clearing my stored passwords.  I guess when brave went through and update, the option to clear logins and passwords upon exiting brave 'option' was selected by default.   

Anyhow, its been corrected so now I will have to keep an eye out for that on the next update.

• Props 1