Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercer

How to browse the internet without being spied on.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:05 PM, Mercer said:

As far as instagram goes, I wish there was a Virtualbox type app you could install other apps inside and shut them down 100% when you're not using them. I'm not paranoid enough to know all the spyware apps, I just remember some of my Dev friends being like "Whoa, WTF you have facebook installed on your phone?" a couple of years ago and was convinced I should delete it. In all honesty I should delete instagram myself and just re-install if needed but I'm not ready to yet.

I just reinstall insta when I want to browse it. Its rarely installed on my phone day to day. Do some scrolling then delete it. 

instagram has shifted its focus on banning or tracking to "racists", not graf. you guys are off the hook because of the liberal fags who run that site, adjacent to facebook.

Delete social media. Use yahoo for emailing. Its good to set up a proxy if your modem allows it. Dont be a douche bag. Stop using chrome. I use duckduckgo(zero history tracking & no adds). Or mozilla is ok.

Edited by auf

Can I run a 2nd OS on my Macbook so that I can use Pi-hole or something similar? I am a total noob to this stuff and am going to be reading through this thread to get some more knowledge, but I still want to use OSX at the same time. Do I need to run the 2nd OS as a Virtual Machine? Again I am a total noob so if anyone has any links as to where I can start to learn and educate myself about these types of things it would be appreciated, because you all know there comes times where we can no longer wait on those granny fisting videos.

20 hours ago, Mauler5150 said:

Can I run a 2nd OS on my Macbook so that I can use Pi-hole or something similar? I am a total noob to this stuff and am going to be reading through this thread to get some more knowledge, but I still want to use OSX at the same time. Do I need to run the 2nd OS as a Virtual Machine? Again I am a total noob so if anyone has any links as to where I can start to learn and educate myself about these types of things it would be appreciated, because you all know there comes times where we can no longer wait on those granny fisting videos.

Originally, I tried to make this about easy ways to browse without having all of your data collected by google/facebook/etc. Basically explained how easily you can be identified, and targeted.

The thread seemed to drift into some more extreme measures, and I might need to bring it back down to earth and on track again. We basically discussed dumping google chrome for desktop, and not having facebook, and other intrusive apps installed on your every day phone.

I suggested people use a privacy focused desktop/mobile browser like Brave: https://brave.com/

I think Raven also suggested Aloha for iPhone https://alohabrowser.com/

TOR is what you use when you don't want anyone to know what you're looking at/posting, you need to read up on best use practices before thinking you're invincible.

https://www.torproject.org/

Brave comes with TOR built in, you just open a TOR tab when you want to go 100% incognito.

All of these options are free, and user friendly so far, we  also suggested people use VPN services which do cost money but are very much worth it if you need to appear to be in another country/state, and want to go in shields up by default.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now