Grails: The hard to get, so imma brag about it, super thread!

misteraven

So yeah, surprised this isn't already a thread, so here we go...

Time for you the mother fuckers that got em, to pull out the big guns you got in your stash. The hard to get shit, that the Hypebeasts lust after, that the resellers droll over and that breaks the bank on eBay.

Rules are:

1. You have to post your original photo (no google image shots and unsubstantiated claims).

2. You have to tell the back story on where you came up on it.

3. Pricing, offering, selling, trading are allowed.

4. Having bought it recently at exorbitant prices is frowned upon as far as this thread goes.

So if you got something good, post it!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Will start with a pair of Supreme x Nike Dunks High's - Collegiate Orange, 10.5.

Copped at Supreme when they released. Didn't bother calling in a favor and though I didn't really wait the line either, by the time I walked in, my size was sold out. Copped a 10.5 which was the closest to a 12, with the intent to trade someone for my size. Never happened, so finally put them up for sale recently since they've been collecting dust. Got a zillion offers and finally accepted $1000 from a kid that seemed really cool and had a very respectable collection on his IG feed. So ended the auction early, and here we are.

s-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.f3b93a52e462038b127d83111108cdbd.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.379e26942941c4ed92f8e3201a60fc83.jpg

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.fb5257db546eaf14ce7aab869efff559.jpg

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.ba74a07ff7cb8528a7fbae9a51f6645c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Props 3

• misteraven changed the title to Grails: The hard to get, so imma brag about it, super thread!

damn...@misteraven beat me to the punch

but yea, I have a few that I personally consider grails in my collection but I don't know if it is for others

they're definitely rare tho

WTAPS x Ebbett's field flannel baseball jersey

Supreme x Brooks Brothers seer sucker suit

Both pics from my instagram

ebbetts.PNG

brooks.PNG

• Props 1

?uest Love x Nike AF1s... 

My studio did all the original Nike product shots of this release, which often resulted in getting floated a pair. So, was happy to be handed a set in my size. As you can see, I actually wear my stuff (assuming it fits), so this was a great pair of summer kicks to strut through NYC with when they dropped. Also got to see him perform at an invite only Nike party in the backyard party area behind Rivington Club. 

Good times... Definitely miss the old NY. 

8944C557-B267-47E8-B793-87C60B459C8F.thumb.jpeg.93c89a71f9c5ba9c282d8f1dd7083a6f.jpeg

• Like 1

Okay, not my pair, but I scored them. Living in NYC and trying to keep crisp, which extends to the whole family... Was pumped to come across a kids size quick strike pair of Jordan x 40 Acres and a Mule Spizikes. Of course my kid chewed them up in days on the swing set and crawling around the playground, but he looked fresh doing it!

B0E19808-0E7C-4770-B643-37EE8834305E.thumb.jpeg.395ab5ffc1b30e40b86fd9929a377062.jpeg

• Like 1

I love seeing those I'm just messing around. It's setting the bar pretty high though that's for sure!

I'm with you 100% about wearing the clothes and shoes I have. Those AF1s are such a work of art it would sting to break them out. The level of detail on them is unreal. The process Nike used to etch the tags in like that is just so fresh. Having Crude Oil handstyles on a Nike sneaker alone is sick. The spacing is A++ too it would have been easy to just plaster the whole thing and make it look like a pattern from a distance, I love that sneaker and I think I'd mentioned before I'm not even that into AF1s.

I find it kinda funny that people are tripping out over Virgil scrawling some shitty block letters on blank Air Forces. If some of these younger Hypebeasts with a keen eye saw these I feel they'd lose their shit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, misteraven said:

Will start with a pair of Supreme x Nike Dunks High's - Collegiate Orange, 10.5.

Copped at Supreme when they released. Didn't bother calling in a favor and though I didn't really wait the line either, by the time I walked in, my size was sold out. Copped a 10.5 which was the closest to a 12, with the intent to trade someone for my size. Never happened, so finally put them up for sale recently since they've been collecting dust. Got a zillion offers and finally accepted $1000 from a kid that seemed really cool and had a very respectable collection on his IG feed. So ended the auction early, and here we are.

s-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.f3b93a52e462038b127d83111108cdbd.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.379e26942941c4ed92f8e3201a60fc83.jpg

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.fb5257db546eaf14ce7aab869efff559.jpg

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.ba74a07ff7cb8528a7fbae9a51f6645c.jpg

winner!winner!

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, misteraven said:

What’s the story with it?

this was back in winter 2012 and i was heavy into japanese "ametora" or american traditional heritage shit

i saw this suit on display in union los angeles and i asked if it was on sale

at first they said no, like the manager and the two clerks

a few hours later chris union came in, first time i met the dude and he saw me admiring it

i told him that i was a huge fan of the brand and that i would die for this suit

so he said fuck it and that i could buy it off him

i asked him how much and he said what do you have lol

i gave him 600 for the whole thing

• Like 2

Another personal all time favorite... Never figured this color way would work as well as it did, but yeah... I wear my shit and wore the fuck out of this pair.

Probably one of the first pair of shoes that crossed over from just being highly desirable, to being recognized as a grail before “grails” were a thing: Heineken Dunks.

And caught out in the rain on the streets of SOHO, no less... LOL!

768BE494-3331-4DCA-90CC-956D4986844E.thumb.jpeg.7da044b38edc0abc2bf22e0b5f050c85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 2

Okay, maybe should have led with this... 12ozProphet x Nike - AKANYC Wet Look Dunk Set.

This was an opportunity that came up after . the success of the first collab worth Nike, the aforementioned AKA AF1s. Nike was looking to add legitimacy to their NikeID program and discussions was that the market sort of viewed NikeID as a bootleg version of itself. At the same time, it was a pretty incredible program (still is) as it allows people to be a part of the design process. More than that, however is that the way manufacturing is set up, you can swap materials fairly easily without the massive retooling and supply chain issues inherent with standard manufacturing. The end result, is the same, if not better, since the runs are short and there is more eyes and physical labor involved. Anyhow, Nike was starting to consider rolling out a patent leather story that completely aligned with a concept I had based upon some photos we shot for the Also Known As v1 book that included vintage spray cans. Most notably, I loved the colors and names of the Wet Look cans (still the palette I gravitate towards - earth tones with a pop, that often lean towards 70s color schemes). So with some help from friends I'd made at Nike, we managed to fast track this project under the radar to avoid all the complications of senior staff having to approve and interject.

Originally my plan was to insert a series of golden tickets into the AKA book. On these golden tickets would be a 12ozProphet / AKANYC logo and a swoosh. The other side would be an 800 number and a local number that ring through to an answering service that simply requested your name, address and show size. The result would have been you'd be sent one of the pairs from the set. Unfortunately, there's massive legal complications with global distribution and since we were selling the book outside the USA, we could never get the concept through Nike legal. So at the last moment, we decided to simply auction a pair off for charity and I chose FreeArtsNYC, which was a local non-profit that helped rehab kids from extreme family situations through art. Together, Nike and us managed to raise $14,900 and then donated it all to them.

That remains the only pairs ever made public. I was given two sets, one in my size that I've worn and another sample set (size 9) that is short one pair (was told Mark Parker requested the missing pair). There's another complete set in Nike archive and then theres several random sample pairs that are floating around, which were scooped up by Nike staff that were involved. We also threw a party at a private downtown Nike space in the LES and I invited a select group of people that were involved or featured in the AKA book as a sort of thank you. Nike allowed each guest to design a pair of shoes in their size using the materials used for the Wet Look dunks, but did not allow a fully color blocked shoe like the Wet Look Dunks. Then with those materials still loaded, rolled out that years Fall / Holiday NikeID program and anyone could chose one of the Wet Look Dunk materials as the accent colors to the shoes on NikeID that season. Ended up that sales that season eclipsed what the program had done previously and it held the record for a good long while from what I was told. I was later told that this collab was the right project at the right time and helped tip over the NikeID program from something sort of on the fringe to being a viable program.

The Wet look Dunks were later selected by Nike during their celebration of the Dunk called the Dunk Chronicles as one of the best releases of all time along with a pretty impressive lineup.

Anyhow, was a pretty amazing opportunity that lead to an incredible collaboration. Was in the era long before social media and even before style blogs like HypeBeast had really blown up, but it still generated tons of hype in NYC, Japan and on the sites, blogs and forums of its day. I always wanted to follow it up with a few ideas that never made it into the first collab, so hopefully some day we can see that happen.

In any case, 12ozProphet x Nike - AKANYC Wet Look Dunk Set

More here: https://www.12ozcollective.com/12ozprophet-x-nike-wet-look-dunk/

12oz-wet-look-spraypaint.thumb.jpg.389d139d7dbade981e84f96c8c97f8f1.jpg

12ozprophet-nike-wetlook-dunk.thumb.jpg.ced6dfe37824f8ca90eb2ed234aadfab.jpg

12ozprophet-nike-wetlook-dunk-back.thumb.jpg.a023bf11a14ab0e7abf21b1bd080d94a.jpg

12ozprophet-wetlook-dunk-auction-1.thumb.jpg.f35968bf7d8984745e853364a3099e5b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 4