The best of outdoor style: Hiker, adaptive, tactical, etc

misteraven

So inspired by a couple recent tech wear / work wear posts from @EQIPand @glorydaysAnd most recently a boots discussion with @Fist 666 plus having a genuine need due to personal lifestyle and how I live, I figured we’d give this thread topic a go. Wondering what good gear is out there that I might not be turned into. 

So, here’s the deal... Function over form, but a showcase of product representing the perfect marriage of both. Not poser fashion shit trying to look tactical or outdoor, but real deal kit that might be fashionable, but performs under pressure. 

Here’s some boots I just posted in another thread that I think qualify. No doubt these would be good for backwoods sprints, but definitely a good hiker that also looks super nice. Danner Mountain Light - USA made classic alpine hiker. 

C8D2EFD9-E21B-495B-9928-5D062E0CC927.jpeg.521cf1ad770b3fb4dc4be77ebbc2c428.jpeg

83764136-78B0-4AD5-A65C-D89BEB104A3D.jpeg.ab207a01bda8c29497ec13f66962cb4d.jpeg

54C84564-1B14-4867-BEFF-A35FA6DFE205.jpeg.e4a958efeecb425671420fde128c3204.jpeg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I do really like the look of those Danners. 

The outdoor/rugged thing I'm always looking for are pants. I want the durability of Carhartts, but not the 2 year break in time required for them to be comfortable. I gave KUHL a few pairs chance about 5 years ago, and they maxed at about 6 months lifespan before I'd wear the crotches out. I switched to Mountain Khakis, and while they last several months longer, they have the same problem. Both these brands tend to sit in the $70/pr range, so I'm done giving them a chance. 5-11s are a fucking joke in this regard. I recently bought some wrangler ripstop work pants for $17 that seem at least as solid as the outdoor brands. 

Sidenote: I wear my pants harder than a lot of people do, I think. Unless they get covered in something that stinks or are visibly disgusting or outright smell like ass, I wear them for 5 days in a row, and rotate through a couple pairs. My beef with Carhartts is break in time and the fact that half of them fit like JNCOs. I don't wear skinny jeans, but I wear pants that fit (Levis 505s as the standard).

@misteravenI've seen you post the uber tactical pants on your IG before--the price tag I saw seemed about double the REI type brands. Do you abuse them and do they hold up? Or are they short lived but high performance while they last?

@Fist 666those are Crye Precision (G3s). Completely indestructible. Like you, I blow out pants very fast living where I do. Literally anything short of denim just doesn’t last. If fabric doesn’t rip or wear, seams will split. Ruined a ton of great pants and shorts. 

My Crye’s look brand new after washing a thousand times and wearing nearly daily for a year. Had them for classes I take and kind of embarrassed about the tacticool aspect of wearing them normally but they’re very comfy out the box and beyond durable. Tons of pockets, tons of adjustment points, made in USA of top quality USA fabric and parts. No idea what they print the pattern with but it doesn’t fade at all. Plus worn them to a ton of classes where they get abused heavily. But they run $300 or so a pair, without the knee inserts. Not for everyone. Best pants I’ve ever owned. Note that they’re counterfeited / copied often, so get the real shit if you buy a pair. 

C4C3CE5D-06FF-46CF-A1B2-E0632AAA94A6.jpeg.8a19adba9d019af49e79d53a046c0585.jpeg

Not a fan of how these look at all. Curious how legit they are as well. Having worked with Nike so long and seeing their R&D and Innovation Kitchen lots of time, I know what goes into a real performance shoe and doubt many put into their footwear what the big dogs in that space do.

Sort of a different thing than we're discussing and don't know how these perform, but I freakin love how these look. Love the flip on the outdoor shit to make them more in line with mid - late 2000s quick strike type stuff. Planning to dig up some collabs down the road along this line.

IMG_2927.thumb.JPG.5b2ed968195ca65b45b1a86247df9101.JPG

Remind me a lot of these, which was a recent womens release, but one of the best drops this year IMO. Would have rocked the shit out of them if they came in mens, but also not water proof or rugged enough for the context of this discussion. Looks so nice though.

UNDERCOVER-x-Nike-React-Element-87.jpg.f444c19ca7d2650544bec8f9bd10e017.jpg

1725515184_UNDERCOVER-x-Nike-React(1).thumb.jpg.3e84d609607a2f3685a42f8b6bb236bc.jpg

those look fucking amazing...and I'm a huge fan of jun takahashi

they look like early 90's ACG trainers

the last pair of real performance boots that I bought were the Adidas gsg 9.3...I use them mainly for work when I have to go to the live ordinance testing

8335329_7c2bdb4c-917c-474c-bfc6-6efe89be892d.jpg

Is it actually a tactical shoe or just pretending? Weird to not have any toe cover on it if its intended to be a real tactical shoe, but also seen a lot of other footwear companies make that mistake. Lot of toe dragging with dynamic movement if you're running and gunning.

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

Is it actually a tactical shoe or just pretending? Weird to not have any toe cover on it if its intended to be a real tactical shoe, but also seen a lot of other footwear companies make that mistake. Lot of toe dragging with dynamic movement if you're running and gunning.

i think its just pretending because it feels more like a sneaker than an actual tac boot. They feel super comfortable and light but they're tough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@misteravenI love my keens. I get them for my work shoes. The ones I get are the ones with no shoelace. I hate having to take my gloves off and tie them or the laces getting funky from dragging through gross shit before I realized they’re untied. So that’s the reason I got them. I’ve used them for over a year working/walking/stomping on 300+ degree hot asphalt, tar, diesel, water, etc. Because of the durability of those I’ve made them my official work boot and purchased Keen hiking boots and the weird looking water/river shoe/sandal. 

Edited by Pistol
  • Like 1

Looking for smething along the lines of the Keens I posted above... A legit cross between a hiker and sneaker, waterproof and that has a compelling style / colorway.

Anyone have any suggestions? Those KEEN Targhee Exp X Elnest Creative Activity seem to be sold out everywhere (11.5 or 12).

• 3 months later...

I swear by Hoka for the rare times I actually do any trail running. My wife absolutely hates them, says they make her feel like she’s falling forward. 

I also use use them for day trip hiking and backpacking.

I havent tried anything thing they have to offer WP wise, but I know that it exists. They do the color ways that you would expect from a shoe company that focuses on running. Usually pretty bright and vibrant colors fading into one another and all that other bullshit. They do have a couple color options that are nice color wise though.

EE1392E7-C0CA-4600-B8C0-F7BF580A6A1D.jpeg

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

Hadn't heard of Hoka until I started seeing hype for their collab with Engineered Garments.

Still sort of on the fence about them, but havent seen a pair in person, let alone tried them on. Sort of surprised nobody seems to really be dominating that space though, let alone owning it.

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 9.11.50 AM.png

Tactical Orthopedic Special Issue

• LOL! 2

• 4 weeks later...

From a construction working perspective, Danner is generally a poor choice, Georgia boot is as good or better for less money but if you want a quality boot without going full retard and getting Whites or something just go for Red Wing. if you work in boots everyday buy two pair and alternate, it makes the leather happy to have a break to fully dry and rest between uses, buying two pairs of 325 dollar boots on the same day can be a bit of a shocker on the old pocket book though.

I am a low rise logger 8" boot kind of a guy, non safety toe if I can get away with it.

For a sneaker boot combo I would look at Vasque, I had a pair similar to the Clarion '88 years ago and was really quite happy with them.

For a deep dive into outdoor clothing and hiking in general I like this guy's work 

https://andrewskurka.com/

I would probably take one of his guided trips if the wife and I were to take separate vacations one of these years. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I got a Cotopaxi windbreaker to use as a shell over my down zip up as a outer layer. Very impressed with the quality. First item I’ve gotten from this brand. Ultra light weight. All their stuff is made from leftover matl from other companies, so they say. Since the matl is recycled all the color ways are limited. Maybe they get the excess matl from a tent mfg?

This windbreaker can roll up and pack into itself in a small pouch/pocket. Tough to explain. 

mine is like this but black gray and red matl with a red zipper. Already has a couple burns in it from campfire embers but I guess that’s bittersweet. 

7BCF6A74-8882-463E-BC66-BA9A8B0D5AE4.png

7EFB1FFB-6A74-4341-A93D-59DA04E29FD0.png

My luggage and clothing got stolen out the back of my car thanksgiving night. 

had To get some clothes to wear over the rest of my vacation with family

was in a pretty small town, like 4,000 people. Only option was Tractor Supply Co

pretty Happy with what I got. Everything seems well made and is super warm!

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, delv said:

That Cotopaxi looks fresh af....anyone purchased anything and got reviews?!

Yeah I have one of their jackets just like the one I posted (that guest post is my post from a deleted acct) different colors though because they use scrap matl (left over from tents or some shit?)

my review—

good:

ultra light, blocks wind, looks good, seams and zipper are A+, some what large pockets

bad:

first time I wore it embers from campfire burned a couple holes so no flame retardancy at all, absolutely no water resistance at all either. Unsure whether it has tensile strength or will split easily under stress 

Recommend only use as ultra light windbreaker. best use FOR ME is a shell over sweater hoodie while hiking or camping for an extra layer that takes up next to no space in pack and adds next to no weight to pack. 

I got an REI gift card for Xmas or bday a bit back and used that to cop. If you got the coin and really want one I would say go for it. 

On 4/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Recently got this with the liner for something like $20. German surplus. Flags will be coming off and won’t be replaced with anything. The liner is legit too and I can use it with a rain jacket or something. 

9779FC0E-61FD-4F2F-90D0-62F210662C64.jpeg

Here’s a look at that liner. Way to warm for SoCal but should find some uses for it. The parka came with it for something like $20 shipped. Tag tore in the wash 😞

CE3396EE-DAEC-4008-BA08-2BDA3E521B5A.jpeg

2DAAFE85-7805-4292-A286-12A3637C7DEA.jpeg

• 1 year later...