Learning to play with myself...musical instruments

diggity

A few years ago I decided I wanted to learn to play an instrument and picked up a harmonica - it went nowhere. i chose it cause i wasn't sure if I really wanted to learn an instrument or if it was a phase. years passed by and I realized that now i work with a ton of guys that play a variety of instruments and thought i would capitalize on people being able to teach me stuff.

So about 3 months ago, i bought a ukulele off Amazon and started tinkering around. realized that i wasn't learning anything from youtube channels and started taking classes about a month later.

I went with a ukulele because it didn't seem as intimidating as a guitar. I don't understand anything about music and haven't ever played anything before. its got 4 strings instead of 6 and the neck is shorter so i thought it would be easier to learn due to my options being more confined. 

My question is has anyone else in here decided to pick up an instrument later in life?

who else plays something/what do you play?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've been meaning to learn an instrument for the last 20 or so years. I'll get around to it one of these days I'm sure... (I did buy a bass, amp, and related gear that I played for almost 3 months in high school before I realized I liked screaming on the mic more than being a really shitty bass player, and the girls liked it better too)

I've got a deck looking out over the Appalachian mountains toward the Tennessee state line and I think not picking a banjo on said deck is definitive missed opportunity. 

• LOL! 1

LOL!

Being honest I don’t have the idle time to learn at this point. Tons of shit I’d like to get to, that I can’t due to lack of time. 

It is appealing to maybe do something I know is well outside my wheelhouse. Probably good for the brain and spirit. But just too much other stuff I either need or want to get to. 

• Truth 1

14 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Everybody plays the fool!

They give ukulele classes? And you're not in Hawaii??

Yeah. Pretty much any guitar teacher knows uke. I haven’t tried to learn anything that sounds Hawaiian. Mostly rock songs that you can identify easily.  Sunshine of your love, paint it black, typical beginner songs. 

ive been enjoying it a lot and this week almost started looking at guitars but then picked one up and realized it goes against my plan. I want something that I’m not going to take seriously. Something that I’m totally good with not being good at it. I wanted something that I won’t have a problem living up to unrealistic  expectations.

There’s something refreshing about starting something that I’m totally ignorant of and have no idea how it works. 

I keep it next to my computer and pick it up when I’m stumped on something or need a mental break. I’ll pick/strum a little and then go back to  work. 

@SukiSukiNowthere’s definitely a lot of times it feels like I’m patting my head and rubbing my belly. You also use your hands way different. There’s times where I know what fingers should go where and I can’t get them to do what I want. Moving my ring finger without moving my pinky feels impossible. But I’m told I’ll get use to it, just takes time and repetition. 

Most of it is just repeating patterns and sequences. 

8 minutes ago, diggity said:

@SukiSukiNowthere’s definitely a lot of times it feels like I’m patting my head and rubbing my belly. You also use your hands way different. There’s times where I know what fingers should go where and I can’t get them to do what I want. Moving my ring finger without moving my pinky feels impossible. But I’m told I’ll get use to it, just takes time and repetition. 

Most of it is just repeating patterns and sequences. 

So you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

• LOL! 1

@SukiSukiNowif you do feel like learning to play something. its a pretty cheap instrument to pick up. you can get a fairly decent one off amazon for like 80 bucks.

there are a couple in that range that are 5 star reviews.

alot of people learn off youtube, and i think i could have struggled through that but i just hired a music teacher instead. it turned out to be alot cheaper than i thought it would be- works out ot like 20 bucks a lesson.

Never too old to learn a instrument . The first year is always rough . Harmonica is dope , Stevie wonders first album was all harmonica stuff with crazy ass solos throughout . 

Started playing keys when I was 8 , was planning on auditioning for a few jazz programs in some uni/conservatories at end of this year/beginning of next , but I caught some charges in feb so all this court bullshit put a damper in my plans . . going to have to wait til 2020 now . 

would be my second degree and I’m going to be 30 in a couple years . I had a mental battle for a long time but realized most serious programs have people of all ages , not every program is full of green 18 year old wizkids . Plus jazz is like wine . . . 

Take the time to figure out a practice schedule you can adhere to and locate a proper teacher/mentor , they make a world of a difference . 

*DM me if you need any help with theory , I’ll help where I can 

Edited by luhem

2 hours ago, diggity said:

@SukiSukiNowif you do feel like learning to play something. its a pretty cheap instrument to pick up. you can get a fairly decent one off amazon for like 80 bucks.

there are a couple in that range that are 5 star reviews.

alot of people learn off youtube, and i think i could have struggled through that but i just hired a music teacher instead. it turned out to be alot cheaper than i thought it would be- works out ot like 20 bucks a lesson.

I want to play the piano!!!

• 3 weeks later...