New Music

Mercer

Fact:

Beyond a certain age most people cannot hear the details in sounds that are unfamiliar. This is why if you lean a new language over the age of about 22, you're going to have a hard time recognizing the nuances of certain sounds, and thus have a difficult time getting rid of your native language's accent.

The same can be said for music. A 30 year old is highly unlikely to be fond of a completely new genre, or sub-genre of music that makes use of new sounds not around when they were teenagers. I remember listening to I'm going back to Cali by LL Cool J, and couldn't understand why all the adults hated scratching, to me it was the best part. I also remember not too long ago when Lil Wayne's music was controversial on the Oontz.

That said, I'm making a thread to drop some of the newer styles of music my old ass can actually tolerate and enjoy. Not old bands releasing new shit, and not new bands doing retro shit, I'd like to keep it focused mostly on newer styles music old farts might like.

First up DJ Smokey, heavy rotation in my workout mixes.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Next up is some Vaporwave / Chillwave.

Not that I'm super into it but it's catchy, and somewhat enjoyable because of the heavy recycling. One of those electronic trends that's usually over in 3 to 5 years.

Edited by Mercer

Will give this a listen when not sitting next to my sleeping wife. 

That said, it’s interesting also cause younger ears hear a wider spectrum of frequencies, especially at the high end. I bought a couple of those plugin mouse deterrents that apparently make a high pitched noise. Plugged it in and nothing. Next day my son complained about the high pitch whine as we walked by it. 

Also wondering how much has to do with language and subjects. Lot of music my daughter plays in the car sounds ok. Not unlike radio shit from the last decade or so. But damn if the lyrics and subjects aren’t the stupidest stuff ever. 

There's a neurological (as opposed to hearing related) cause for not hearing details in sounds, it's not related to a loss of frequency range. Basically our neurons will become hardwired to process the details of sounds we're already familiar with processing. When I say details, I mean very slight, almost insignificant differences in sounds. Apparently when you're younger, there's very little resistance for your brain to create new neurological pathways to process sounds. I read somewhere that for a fully formed adult to create a new neurological pathway, it destroys up to 5 times as many adjacent pathways to do so.

There's a phonetic sound in Japanese somewhere between R's and L's that I can't for the life of me distinguish. My Ex would repeat it over and over, and I'd try to parrot it back, but was unsuccessful to the point of giving up out of frustration after a couple of weeks.  I end up substituting and R or L sound instead, because it's close enough for them to understand. It probably sounds to them like a Japanese person saying they like eating flied lice, instead of fried rice.

Kodak Black - Coolin & Booted

Good example of what people our age refer to as mumble rap:

• Like 1

Not exactly new, but I think Mashup artists Like GLK were barely getting started back when the oontz was poppin. He's from the "Gas Lamp" 

Wanted to throw in some organic stuff that wasn't 100% electronic. To be honest, I don't have much of an ear for newer rock music that isn't retro making stuff like this the closest I'll get to "new rock music". Not sure if I'm just too old, or they ran out of sound combinations that could be made with basically a drummer and a couple few guitarists.

Gas Lamp Killer - Nissim

• Like 1

Going to have to go through and give a listen.  Checked a few but too mellow for me.  

Interesting thing I heard mentioned the other day is that with digital/electronic approaches to music some of the younger generation are in a sense more learning how to arrange sounds through a computer than learn to play the actual instrument, don't know if that would account for some of the dislike for new music?