The 12oz Middle Life Thread - Let's do this.

Tesseract

Does 29 count as midlife? Did I really spend all of highschool here?  Well I’ve graduated highschool since then. 

Still living in on the same place, my neighborhood hasn’t been taken over or gentrified yet.

Working a dope city job now, god bless unions.

I have a blossoming music channel where I upload samples and songs from forgotten vinyl records.

Oh I collect electronic records now as well.

Plans are in action to become a home owner soon, so house party at my place yall

Edited by IrishCarBombs
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

36 next month.

Married then divorced 7 years later.  

Have 2 perfect daughters. 7 and 9

The best girlfriend of 2 years. Baby on the way. 

Planning a trip to DC next month to purpose. 

Solid job for over 10 years.

Nice condo. 

Paint a little.

Skate/bike and also collect OG boards. 

Love baseball, football and Golf. 

Life is good.

Feel free to ask me whatever's on your mind. 

turning 44 in 4 weeks time.

Pros:

Money wise life is grand

got a house almost fully paid off due to moving interstate and taking advantage of comparative real estate prices

Married for three years and counting

2 awesome kids

Work remotely for a New Zealand company so go to NZ twice a year on company dime!

Took a step back workwise as finance not such an issue.

Grow vegetables in my backyard - vowed to try and eat something homegrown each day - failed thus far but I tried!

Still love the graff even if I haven't painted outdoors in a year. said no to "free for all" legal walls.

Still producing a graff zine for my old city that has a small but solid following

Have found me a freight spot to paint and have cased it solidly in preparation. hit the right ones and it'll go coast to coast (almost)

Cons:

Moved from Sydney to Adelaide (population wise that's like Los Angeles to Austin) so there was some adjustments there

The two awesome kids are still in that time vacuum stage where the concept of free time is a joke

Lonely working remotely

small but solid following of graff zine only love it because it's free so usually never contribute.

vegetables are pretty fickle things You've really got to get them right or it's a depressing straggle of plants.

Lost grip on fitness shortly after I went to America in 2009 and never got it back - fattest I've ever been and can't seem to get a grip on it.

Weight has ballooned and the aches and pains that come with it are not much fun. 

Post natal depression from wife made last year not bueno.
Wife's family from here evaporated when we moved down so the support we counted on receiving we didn't receive. 

No friends in this little insular city. My social life is conducted via instagram/ whatsapp/ facetime and occaisional trips to Sydney/NZ.

Also discovered that in about two weeks said freight spot will disappear as timetables change 

BUT  lets not take away from the fact that all in all life is good. Bank hasn't got both balls in a jar and for 99% of the population that is living the dream.

Still would give my left nut for two weeks in Europe with the fellas and some paint.

• Props 1

@Schnitzelhey man, feels like it’s been a minute. You been around or am I just lurking the wrong sections?

Anyhow, good on you for having a house almost paid off. That’s huge man. Seems like so many I know haven’t even managed to buy a place let alone see it paid down. 

Hope to see you (and everyone else) around regularly. 

• Props 1

@Schnitzelyeah man, appreciate it. Already gotten a few emails and DMs from people thankful that we’re putting effort back into it and happy to be back reading and posting.

We about tripled forum traffic just before relaunching. Wasn’t much to begin with, but obvious how promoting and reaching out to people had an affect. 

with the last forum, which was live for about 18 months, the heaviest simultaneous usage was 147 people on at once. Since relaunching this new version, we hit 303 last week and now 341 this week. Again, doesn’t compare to what it was at it’s peak, but clear evidence that it’s growing steadily. Just needs time and everyone spreading the word, especially to OG members.

Instagram is easy to use and convenient, no doubt about that. But fatigue and frustration are a real thing on there for many people. I’m already finding posting on the forum way more fun and I’ve been checking IG, less and less as the weeks go by. Pretty sure that given enough time and effort, soon enough we’ll hear people complain that the forum is getting too busy to keep up with. 

Anyhow, welcome back to you and everyone else popping back up. This really awesome to witness and testament to how amazing things once were. On all of us to bring it back to being something bigger and better. 

Creeping on 40 - don't really feel old other than all the damn responsibilities. My main hobby is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I spend at least 3 days a week training. I have 5 years into the sport and I don't think I will stop until I am physically unable to train.

I just finished my Masters - which I am now paying for goddamn it.

I own a house and it has a picket fence, which needs to be replaced and a bunch of other trash to do constantly. The Bay Area is fucking ridiculous and I'm 100% sure that I could not afford to live here if I was renting. Two kids and wife take about all the rest of my time outside of work. My career does not allow for grafndance but I still appreciate and spectate - on rare occasions I get in a legal wall.

I still read a shit ton - collect books/toys/art. I'm on the PS4 regularly currenty on the Fortnite hype psn FatRalphy

One of my close friends was diagnosed with a pretty serious form of cancer last year, he asked me if he could convert my detached garage into a 1bdr. That project has taken up a bunch of my time in recent months.

On a side note - two years ago I started playing Magic the Gathering. I occasionally go to my local comic book stores and play on draft nights. /nerdoner

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 1
  • Props 2

i don't really know how to put it but life has definitely given me a roller coaster ride, so i can relate to alot of you on this board. i guess i'll put in bullet points to make it quick and simple.

• 2005ish i get booted from the house for being a little asshole teenager
  • get my own place start working a shitty job just to get by 
  • 2007ish I realize i have more potential then a $12hr job and take out a loan to go to college
  • I meet an awesome girl that at first hated me (she was a cool punk rock girl from Chicago, i was a cocky suburban kid who didn't know when to shut up) but somehow we end up being friends and having a lot in common
  • she pushed me to be better and reach my potential, i end up graduating with a degree in political science.
  • I start working campaigns for local alderman, state reps, etc. I was pretty damn good at it but i knew i wanted to get out, seriously politicians will say and do anything to maintain their influence at any cost. i can't count the knives in my back because of it but it definitely humbled me. 
  • 2014 my girl gets diagnosed with leukemia, i quit my job in politics and take a 9-5 to be with her.
  • 2015 it looks like she's gonna beat it, we have the best summer ever. we went everywhere together, literally everyday we went on adventures. it was great, after 10yrs of being together i really felt like we both had a new deeper appreciation for each other. you know, the i'm never gonna leave your side no matter what and always have your back, not just saying it but we actually did it. 
  • eventually the cancer came back with a vengeance and took her from me, but we made our peace. the hardest conversation i ever had with her, she basically told me she wasn't coming out of it alive and to find someone else. i felt my throat get tight and my stomach hit the floor. i just remember feeling like i was on fire and numb at the same time. 3 days later she passed away. It was like a breakup and the last words from  a wise family member on their deathbed at the same time, if that makes any sense. 
  • i didn't get all fucked up afterward on drugs or alcohol. i really wanted to honor her memory by being the man she knew i was, so i started working my ass off excessively to be a better person. i know she would have appreciated that.
  • a year later my dad gets cancer and passes away, he just basically told me "when the man upstairs wants you, he's gonna get you". pops was a Vietnam vet, and served in the marine corps. he was pretty blunt and abrasive about everything in life. gotta give him respect for raising a family with his two bare hands, i never seen anyone work harder then he did. 
  • now i run 2 businesses which is cool,, i make decent money, but it's not really fulfilling my life's ambitions . i'm about to go get my masters and get back into fundraising for Grassroots or Greenpeace. i miss doing that kinda stuff, real people trying to good for others. possibly get a Phd and start teaching, lets see what happens. 
  • Props 5

I was a serious lurker of this forum from about 2003 - 2008/9, or even later maybe. I never really contributed, had a number of nicknames and the like. I was in my 20s, a drunk, lost and insular af. I found 12oz from a work colleague that pieced but I came into this from the street art angle (stencils, lol) but found myself tagging shit and bombing stickers for years after that shit went mainstream. I never really progressed further as I didn't have any mates into graff, but also, as above, I was insular so wouldn't talk shit to anyone about it. I think that is why I found 12oz so appealing at the time.

After years of drinking, shitty relationships, demoralising jobs and zero direction, I kind of hit rock bottom.

As I hit my 30s I started to give fewer fucks about pretty much everything. I had been in a string of rubbish relationships and decided one day to sort my shit out. With some professional help, I dealt with some underlying issues and have been doing much better ever since. This renewed headspace got me back into art, made me more confident, scored me a great job and eventually my current partner.

Now I'm almost 37 with the girl I will marry (yet to propose) and a 7-month-old daughter that is just the best and makes my days worth it. I work as a UX designer for a very flexible company. It's an interesting job with a lot of potential going forward. I spend any spare time (which with a baby is minimal) riding any number of bicycles I have, including a recent rebuilt mid-school bmx, painting canvases for shows, daydreaming about side-projects and lately, looking into potentially getting a vintage car to drive.

Mostly, life is full, busy, stressful and exhausting, but in a different more positive way than when I was probably more reading this forum.

ps, Seeing 12oz pop up on Instagram going ham excited me. I have great memories of shit happening on this forum and there are so many in-jokes that only you people know. Am glad shit is back up and I'm keen to get involved.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

3 minutes ago, delv said:

I was a serious lurker of this forum from about 2003 - 2008/9, or even later maybe. I never really contributed, had a number of nicknames and the like. I was in my 20s, a drunk, lost and insular af. I found 12oz from a work colleague that pieced but I came into this from the street art angle (stencils, lol) but found myself tagging shit and bombing stickers for years after that shit went mainstream. I never really progressed further as I didn't have any mates into graff, but also, as above, I was insular so wouldn't talk shit to anyone about it. I think that is why I found 12oz so appealing at the time.

After years of drinking, shitty relationships, demoralising jobs and zero direction, I kind of hit rock bottom.

As I hit my 30s I started to give fewer fucks about pretty much everything. I had been in a string of rubbish relationships and decided one day to sort my shit out. With some professional help, I dealt with some underlying issues and have been doing much better ever since. This renewed headspace got me back into art, made me more confident, scored me a great job and eventually my current partner.

Now I'm almost 37 with the girl I will marry (yet to propose) and a 7-month-old daughter that is just the best and makes my days worth it. I work as a UX designer for a very flexible company. It's an interesting job with a lot of potential going forward. I spend any spare time (which with a baby is minimal) riding any number of bicycles I have, including a recent rebuilt mid-school bmx, painting canvases for shows, daydreaming about side-projects and lately, looking into potentially getting a vintage car to drive.

Mostly, life is full, busy, stressful and exhausting, but in a different more positive way than when I was probably more reading this forum.

ps, Seeing 12oz pop up on Instagram going ham excited me. I have great memories of shit happening on this forum and there are so many in-jokes that only you people know. Am glad shit is back up and I'm keen to get involved.

Glad things came together for you man and really happy seeing you and so many other old members slide back in here. Crazy to think some people have been gone for a decade and within a post or two, it feels like old times again. Totally on all of us to retake control over the conversations and make shit cool again.

Welcome back man!

• Truth 1

34 years old.

Wake up at 5 every morning to go on a run with my dog Loki. 

Watch hella Scooby Doo with my 2 year old daughter while I’m getting ready to go to work. 

Work. 

Take my 9 year old to soccer. 

Drink hella black coffee and black iced tea. 

Cook dinner. Wife does the dishes. 

Read. 

Our famy reads a lot. The last 3 years my son has won the readathon at his school. This year as a 9 year old 4th grader he was reading at a 7.4 grade level and read over 686,000 in 3 months. 

Still collect shoes and movies. Just started to recollect my VHS collection. 

Edited by DETO
  • Like 2

Joined in pre 07 under zerocool. Came back as magnum. Joined because ebph was always on this shit at my house. Met a bunch of folks from here during one of the bay area meetups. Havent broken into a spot or painted in over a decade probably. I still fantasize about it. 

I got married to a girl i hated in high school. We got 2 kids. She apparently knows some other head from this site I just forget what he posted under. Got a chill job as a qa manager at a mobile development spot. It pays the bills but I need to do something for myself. I dont do shit anymore but hustle and grind and do nerdy shit like compete in street fighter tournaments.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this from the dead.

• Turning 38 soon.
  • Joined 12oz in April 2001 soon after getting a copy of The Vapors.
  • Moved five times.
  • Had @El Mamerrocrash at my place on his cross country drive.
  • Met up with @jbrshmonsterat a couple Tool shows.
  • Got some more tattoos.
  • Graduated with three art degrees. (Ask me about student debt!)
  • Photos published in NY Times and Huffington Post.
  • Was an adjunct professor for a few years (photography and graphic design).
  • Senior designer now for work.
  • Collect lots of vinyl (records).
  • Starting to buy and (eventually) restore mid-century furniture.
  • Still gay AF. Asked my dude to marry me in Paris (fucking cliche, I know).
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CILONE/SK said:

Do you know about this?

Haven't restored anything just yet. I've got some decent pieces like a coffee table, two lowboys, and a couple accent chairs.

Need to read up on the best methods of stripping or lightly sanding first, then which polish or stain to go with, depending on the veneer.

Don't want to fuck anything up. I've seen people grab some trashed pieces on Craigslist for $50, restoring it and getting 25x that on a resale in vintage furniture stores.

Not that I want to turn around and sell anything.

Edited by -Rage-