New Forum - Features worth checking out, tips and tricks

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@fat ralphythanks man. Lot of time, energy and expense, but hearing that helps justify it all. Still dialing it in (mostly performance and stability), but it’s pretty solid. 

Now to spread the word and promote and really depending on all you guys to do that. Especially hitting up old members. (Any old account can be recovered). 

So now that things are starting to crank up and get busy, a few people are asking about groups... Link: https://forum.12ozprophet.com/groups/

12ozProphet Groups: You've likely noticed in the main forum navigation (left side of your screen if your on desktop or menu icon in the top right of mobile) that includes a menu item for "Groups List". This is a hugely powerful feature of the new forum that allows any member to create their own Group here on the forum. Groups are powerful n that the person that creates the group, own it. They can name it whatever they want, they can choose privacy levels from totally public to totally private (and a few settings in between). They can invite members, ban members and even setup their own moderators. They can create their own subsections and run the Group however they like. Your group, your rules for the most part.

Though in the past, we've sort of done something similar within a thread, groups allow for so much more flexibility since you can control who sees, who participates and how you want to run it. You can create your own sections and consolidate unlimited threads, all within your group. Obviously you can see how amazing something like this can be, but keep in mind that it's on you to make your group interesting, fun and worth joining.

How to Create a Group: Creating a group is fairly easy. You just need to follow the instructions below and a moderator will review your Group request and either approve it or explain why it won't be allowed (very rare exceptions). Step by step...

1. go to the groups section here: https://forum.12ozprophet.com/groups/
  2. click the big red button in the upper right that says " Start a Group".
  3. Fill out the form that pops up
    1. Group Name - Self explanatory.
    2. Privacy Setting - Explanations are on the form, but the options are Public, Open, Closed, Private Read Only).
    3. Group Description - A sentence or two about your group.
    4. Group Icon - Which is the same type of photo as your avatar / profile photo.
  4. Once you save the Start a Group form and submit, go and add a cover photo (header image) for your group so you don't look lame.
  5. Wait for a moderator to approve your group.

Once your group has been approved by a moderator, you then have to create the sections. By default, the group does not have a discussion area or any sections, so you need to create at least one or the group is basically useless. Think of this like forum sections. They can be anything really and are just used to organize your content (threads / posts). Most groups will likely only have one section called "Topics" or "Discussions" or named what you want, but you can easily add another for an events calendar or anything else you want or whatever makes sense for your group. Anyhow, you set that up and also edit your group name or description using the "Manage" drop down near the top right just under the cover photo.

If your group is anything other than Public (public groups are totally open so there's no need for invites and members), you also use that same dropdown to invite forum members to your group. To do so, just start typing their name and the auto complete will help you find the member. Hit enter and it tags them. You can do them one at a time, or multiple. Note: To send an invite via the system, the person needs to be a forum member. Obviously you can promote your group via email or Instagram or any other way (In fact, I encourage you to promote your group and make it as fresh as it can be), but to actually join in, the person must be a forum member. As you all know, becoming a forum member is fast, easy and free. Also, you can setup who the group leaders and moderators are. You do that under the "Members" tab in the group navigation.

Other than that, there's nothing really to it. You'll note that the Groups List has all the 12ozProphet Groups and that they're arranged by last reply. Some are public, others are private. You can submit a join request to any group that interests you via the "Join" button under each group or if nothing interests you, go and start your own.

And again, you own the group. IT'S ON YOU TO MAKE SURE YOUR GROUP IS FRESH ENOUGH TO MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO JOIN AND ON YOU AND YOUR GROUP MEMBERS TO PROMOTE IT AND KEEP IT FRESH. 

Enjoy!

1392675823_ScreenShot2018-07-17at8_12_56PM.thumb.png.fe5116b9765effdddeb0f669743e3951.png

LOL, going to leave that a secret so people aren't rationing them.

Its to prevent kids from upping each other into MVP status.

Working on some lans to incentivise MVP status. Thinking it might be a custom patch just for MVP and shop discount code or something. Not sure, still thinking it through and also trying to close on a deal I've been working on that'll help bankroll a bunch of moves I'm trying to make with 12oz.

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, misteraven said:

And for the record... You should always disable tagging your smart phone photos with GPS data, but we've configured our system to strip all meta data with the single exception of the "orientation meta data". This simply allows the 12ozProphet Forum to orient your photo the way it was intended (either landscape or portrait). All other identifying data is stripped from your image.

That's rad. Does this apply to new uploads only or are previous uploads stripped of EXIF as well? Either way, new UI is looking clean, thanks man!

On 8/4/2018 at 12:43 PM, El Jefe Uno said:

That's rad. Does this apply to new uploads only or are previous uploads stripped of EXIF as well? Either way, new UI is looking clean, thanks man!

Thanks man! Yeah, still dialing in a few things, but seems pretty solid and feedback from everyone seems pretty positive so looks like we're on the right track.

In regards to the old photo meta, that's a good question... I'm unsure if it's applied retroactively. Going to assume its all pretty safe since we're talking about old data, but will need to add this to the mile long, follow up list.

3 hours ago, misteraven said:

Thanks man! Yeah, still dialing in a few things, but seems pretty solid and feedback from everyone seems pretty positive so looks like we're on the right track.

In regards to the old photo meta, that's a good question... I'm unsure if it's applied retroactively. Going to assume its all pretty safe since we're talking about old data, but will need to add this to the mile long, follow up list.

Right on, not a huge deal by any means, but was just curious. Anyways, new forum is solid!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@misteravenCan we get a positive and negative “WTF” reaction? That’s a reaction I keep looking for and we get a lot of good and bad “WTFs” around here. “Props” and “likes” are technically the same shit (I think?). I like the “truth” and “lol” but I really liked the old style of being able to type a message regarding the props or negs.

Just some random thoughts...you have already made this place great again, good job.

• Truth 1

Yeah man, good point. Will consider that and revise the options on it when I get a minute.

Thanks for the compliment though. Wish I had more time to spend on this, as well as marketing it all. Still amazed how many people I hit up that have no idea despite all the instagram posts. Anyone have suggestions on spreading the word?

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hater said:

So what happened to the forum? Shit used to be poppin! Was it shut down for a while or something?

Long story but there's a few threads that explain it in varying levels of details. Dig through a couple pages of Channel 0 and you'll find them.

That said, its been growing steadily the last couple months as we get word out about it being back up and all the new features and all.

It'll take a minute, but its on its way again.

Welcome back!

• Props 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, been a while since I updated this and also a while since I worked on any new features. I will be moving the forum to a new forum that I believe will give things a little performance boost, but curious now that the dust has settled... Any features this forum is missing? Anything you dislike or doesn't seem to work properly?

Let me know... Hopefully will loop back to working on some forum stuff soon.

Not changing the forum platform, only the server we use to host it on.

Yeah, I definitely feel this is bar far the best iteration of the 12oz forum we've ever had. Hard to find much to gripe about or even improve on, though I'd love to see the mobile version tighten up even further or better yet, a dedicated app that also doubled as a messaging platform.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, Deine Mudder said:

I'm getting a "new device login" email every single time I log on to 12oz.

Is this a known bug? FF63/WIN7 here, basically using the same device every time.

This is the first I've heard of it. You are supposed to get a notification the first time you login from a new device for security purposes, but shouldn't happen on every login. 

Go to this link in Account / Recently Used Devices - https://forum.12ozprophet.com/settings/devices/

Try logging out and logging in again. Wondering if your browser is just rejecting the cookie that's set on each login?

23 hours ago, misteraven said:

Try logging out and logging in again. Wondering if your browser is just rejecting the cookie that's set on each login? 

Cookie is accepted (shows up in prefs) and set so 'keep until expired' (not 'until FF closes') but apparently he gets rid of it when I restart FF -

I get a notification everytime I log in after I reatarted FF, when I just log in and out repeatedly while keeping the browser open it's fine.

• 2 months later...