Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercer

On Grid Living, capitalist dreams from the belly of the beast, deep within the rat race

Posted (edited)

So, last time I really posted a days in pies on here was before the 20 teens. Please forgive since I don't even shoot photos that much anymore, even wtth my phone.

Got into instagram for a minute and eventually just got into life. Got a good gig about 7 years ago, and that combined with numerous side hustles has improved my lifestyle ten fold. I have to say the game changer for me outside of money, was health insurance. Shit really started coming together for me because I could afford therapy which was basically free through insurance and my HRA.

That said, long story short I've been pretty much ballin on a level I never thought I would be the last few years. Sacrifices were made, many a night studying, up at 5:45 every morning,. Don't bother hitting me up for drinks at 10pm, and I'm out of almost every social circle at this point, and have very few people I actually fuck with outside of my family. My life is basically work, and it's not pretty.

01.jpg.4da1237f3fd75b66518efe8116291335.jpg

I just got married, that's me driving, and my wife, or technically my future wife at the time riding shotgun, Stan 51 took this shot on our way to city hall when I tied the knot 3 months ago. Wifey and I get along well, she's an artist at heart also, and just as crazy as me in her own way. Both of us have been married before, so neither one of us was in a hurry to tie the knot. We were engaged for 3 years living in a cramped East Village apartment.

Just moved to Astoria a week before that shot above was taken. She's really into cooking, has a gigantic library of cook books so you know I've got it made. She still hits the farmers market up in Union Square once a week and arranges some killer meal plans.

02.jpg.d61bb90266ab361ed03f19285f3835dd.jpg

Fresh baked with the hound in the background

03.jpg.f7d76f82e2ae1517bc68bf37516c2934.jpg

Baked Chicken

04.jpg.71e05a04225ef0878bec1be6b7eb0131.jpg

She even puts edible flowers on the salads sometimes, shits weird, but intoxicating at the same time.

05.jpg.ef3d113c17aae0b9e8fc850c7dc4b325.jpg

Some fresh organic beets, barley any seasoning, so damn good.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

So about the new place we moved into, it's a Penthouse in a 5 story building, 2 blocks from a major park and the East River, has 1 bedroom, 1.5 bathrooms, and an upstairs and downstairs balcony. It even has a two story living room like different strokes, spiral staircase and everything. Started gardening on the balcony.

06.jpg.ed66f3b866a4217fe177e5e9c7f4c151.jpg

Growing everything but the carrots right now.

07.jpg.a95ef86f5818e056776e94f2748f8078.jpg

Tulip bulb mania, they already bloomed and busted this spring.

08.jpg.ba36a1016befb529fc01f2e4c31287fa.jpg

This is the view from the upstairs balcony of the downstairs balcony. I've been here 3 months and it still feels good saying shit like that if you only knew how small and shitty the old place was.

09.jpg.03bd84eec635baff3798b69944539f5c.jpg

Some of the upstairs balcony.

I'll post more tomorrow, getting late...

• Like 4

Dope pad man, congrats on the wedding.......I always dig seeing your photography.

• Like 1

Is that a pizza in photo 2? it looks like it could be cheese but that crust is throwing me off to make me think of some sort of pie.

Food looks deliicious though.

@Mercer awesome man. Really great to you doing so well. Obviously knew you had a temper back in the days but never really thought it went that deep. In any case, happy for you brother.

Food looks really great as well. Know from the healthy eating thread that you’ve been doing it right.

In any case, hope you keep passing through. You especially held down that crypto thread which was super solid for a hot minute.

Welcome back.

• Like 1

There's a place from upstate that sells some of the best honey I've had at that farmers market.

Who you spying on w/ the binoculars? lol

• Like 1

Was actually planning to raise bees out here. Fell behind this season, but planted an orchard (cherry, apple, apricot, peach) and was going to setup a hive right in the middle of it to help pollinate the orchard and the gardens which are right next to it.

• Like 1

Dope pad man, congrats on the wedding.......I always dig seeing your photography.

Thanks man, good seeing your photos on IG as well. Always glad to see someone on here doing well. A bit envious of the Ju Jitsu skills you're developing. You should drop an update thread in here.

Is that a pizza in photo 2? it looks like it could be cheese but that crust is throwing me off to make me think of some sort of pie.

Food looks deliicious though.

Thanks man it was delicious. That thing is an onion quiche, got some super flavorful onions from an upstate vendor at the farmers market that made it extra flavorful. She even made that crust from scratch.

@Mercer awesome man. Really great to you doing so well. Obviously knew you had a temper back in the days but never really thought it went that deep. In any case, happy for you brother.

Food looks really great as well. Know from the healthy eating thread that you’ve been doing it right.

In any case, hope you keep passing through. You especially held down that crypto thread which was super solid for a hot minute.

Welcome back.

Yea, it went that deep. Things like violence outbursts, of even occasional fist fights aren't that frowned upon in our culture, but if you look at it from a different perspective it can be really bad. People can get hurt, etc. and it leaves someone like me who didn't have their shit under control at a massive disadvantage in life. I'd be much better off without the legal fees, loss of wages, and other bullshit that came from just a couple of arrests here. That doesn't even factor in the connections, and gigs you can lose if people think you're a loose cannon. I don't think I was that bad, never a bully, but I'd take standing up for myself way too far unnecessarily.

Still eating healthy, and been cashed out of the crypto game for the last couple months. I still have some ETH sitting around to play with solidity contracts, and did scoop some profits briefly from the recent EOS pump but for the most part I haven't been hodling or trading much. Got a good bit of fiat sitting in a couple of exchanges to prevent a 1099 if I send it to my bank, and to get back in when I think this dip has finally bottomed out. Which it probably has but I don't see it pumping any time soon.

There's a place from upstate that sells some of the best honey I've had at that farmers market.

Who you spying on w/ the binoculars? lol

Locally sourced honey is the best shit ever. Not only delicious, if the bees get their nectar from the same source of the pollen you breath, some of the proteins are carried over into the honey and it helps you with allergies come pollen season. We usually get "Andrews" local honey made right here in Queens, pretty sure they have Long Island, and Upstate varieties also. Also discovered some bomb ass jalapeño honey recently that was fire.

As far as the binoculars, nothing worth looking at yet. Considering a pretty expensive scope now but it probably won't be looked through here, don't want to get Swatted for being a dumbass and checking out my new toy. My old apartment in Queens had this girl (very hot) two floors below me across the courtyard that was topless windows/blinds open pretty much all summer every year. When I first noticed I went into full creep mode, had to turn of my lights and peep like I'd never seen tits in my life, felt like a freebie. After a year or two I got used to it, I remember looking out my window, seeing her and her tits, and closing my own blinds so I could stay focused on my work. I remember thinking to myself it was like throwing away a childhood dream.

A look at the old crib, approximate size was a timberland box. Great location, which was excellent for the hustle but it was pretty cramped for 2 adults and a dog.

Livingroom-from-Entrance.jpg.9b2fede95b70e7163592d21f7429e16d.jpg

Shot of the living room, and kitchen. As you can see had approximately 2 square feet of total counter-space between the stove and sink.

Bedroom.jpg.9c1a5ad09758067f49b5a0d79f50fd15.jpg

Bedroom was super cramped, Queen size bed with barely enough room to get in/out of.

Bathroom.jpg.02580a4674508da67c6cfd85bd88c154.jpg

And the worst bathroom of all time. You couldn't dry off without touching a wall or something, super annoying. I've got bowls bigger than that sink.

Worst part was going outside your door and having some self absorbed twat, or aggressive sidewalk douche instantly bump into you within 20 steps. My sidewalk was busy, only wide enough for two people to pass each other, and the people on it sucked. There was a bum camp at the end of the block, "do you have a quarter?" at least twice before the end of the block. I'd get bumped into by no less than 3 white girls looking at their phones, or trying to pretend they didn't see me, and the occasional douche bag having a bad day that needs the entire sidewalk.

After a while I despised going outside unless I had to, and would sit inside that cramped ass apartment way too much. Wasn't that bad because I really started hustling extra hard in there, my close proximity to my companies higher end clientele was a key factor to stepping up my career. The fact we paid less than everyone else in the building made it a trap. It sucked, but we weren't going to get anything else even close to the price.

Finally, one day I decided I couldn't take it anymore, a stomper that apparently took adderall all night moved in upstairs, and I missed being able to have guest come over and hand out. Told my lady, "I'm moving out of here, do you want to come with me",found this place I'm in 2 days later, took a 2 week trip to Vegas and my soon to be wife packed, and Uber'd straight from JFK to pick up the Uhaul when I got back.

Posted (edited)

The one good thing about living in the old place was I decided to give up photography and get back into illustration. I might have posted this on here because it's 2 years old now but anyway, here's some time-lapses of me drawing.

[MEDIA=vimeo]165507834[/MEDIA]

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Crazy what people give up to live in the thick of it out there. Just as crazy is what they pay to not give up quite so much. My last place out there was a dream come true, especially by NYC standards, but once I realized that I’d rent for the rest of my life and that ultimately it was just a big box on the right block, I couldn’t reconcile the fact that this was it. People in my building made between 10 and maybe 50x what I made and that’s all they had as well. Plus going out to Wyoming all the time, I had a tough time bridging both worlds in my head. Fekt like I was living parallel lives and that I wasn’t being true to either side of it or to myself. Around that time it also occurred to me that you don’t need to lotto money to buy a place in the mountains. After years of day dreaming about these cabins I’d see (first on Tumblr then on instagram), that it actually didn’t cost a ton, especially after paying Soho rents fit so long. Anyhow, few other bits to the story, but finally packed my shit and walked away from all of it.

In any case, didn’t mean to make this about me. Just saying, I think I get what you were feeling and glad you chose to do something about it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah... don’t think you need to pick between photography and illustration. You’re a talented dude, why not do both?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I hear you, it's good to get outside perspectives. I think the biggest difference between us is your financial success earlier in life. I spent my entire 20's fucking off, either as a part time couch surfing small time weed dealer, or snowboarding bum in Colorado. Either way I wasn't concerned in the least with financial success. The first half of my 30's were spent just barely catching up to what most people accomplish career wise in their early 20's. Now that I've hit the early 40's I'm in overdrive trying to set myself up for retirement. Success in my current field isn't close to the success you experienced in the corporate world, before opening the studio and working for yourself. I just feel like I've got dues to pay career, and side hustle wise before I can escape this rat race. For now, I'm just trying to stay focused on the finances, while not loosing site of enjoying the ride.

• Like 1

@Mercer Don't sell yourself short either. Sounds like you have stability, a plan and forward momentum. I know tons of people that can't claim that. I can also relate to taking 1 step forward, only to end up taking two steps back. I've had a crazy few years and though I love where I live now, also realize I could have probably moved out here 20 years ago and saved a lot of stress and drama. Might not be the property I have now, but would have been something.

Anyhow, props to you have your shit together man. Happy for you.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now