Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
6Pennies

Cameras-No Smart Phones

What's in your bag?

Running a Fuji XT2 with the kit lens (18-55mm) and a 10-24mm WA. Mostly doing landscapes and snap shots or our adventures. Saving coin for the XF 56mm f/1.2 for portraits and nudes.

Absolutely love the size and weight of a mirrorless, as well as the ease of operation with the old school dials. No exp with Canon, Nikon, or Sony but nothing is compelling me to look outside of Fuji.

Hasselblad H4D-50 Wifi, HC Macro 4/120MM II for studio still life (product).

Heavy as shit, delicate, slow and totally impractical for much beyond controlled lighting situations. But damn can it take some great captures when it locked to a camera stand in a controlled environment.

Fuji x100t

I love how compact it is and allows me to shoot low key. Went with the fixed lens so that it would be more likely that I would carry it with me.

I still find myself not bringing it nearly as much as i'd like and a little regret for not having the lens options.

Didn't want a camera bag so I went with a Patagonia Mini Messenger bag and added an insert to help split up the space inside.

• Like 2

I'm far outclassed here but maybe you guys will have some knowledge to help me out. Would like to step up my photo game a little but I'm pretty much point and shoot. It's just safer/easier/convenient to have a camera I can conceal on my person for as many reasons as you might imagine. Before digital I solved image quality issues by getting a Leica, which took some nice photos until it died from excessive mileage on it. Guess the question now is this- I've noticed over the years that the 'lower tier' camera brands partnered up with Leica, Zeis, etc., to have their nice lenses in their 'lower tier' cameras. Wondering if I would be improving my pix at all by getting a Leica or similar point and shoot model or is it all kind of the same image quality now across those cameras? Something like Leica is a good name, but I don't want to pay just for the name.

Fuji x100t

I love how compact it is and allows me to shoot low key. Went with the fixed lens so that it would be more likely that I would carry it with me.

I still find myself not bringing it nearly as much as i'd like and a little regret for not having the lens options.

Didn't want a camera bag so I went with a Patagonia Mini Messenger bag and added an insert to help split up the space inside.

That’s been a camera I keep coming back to. I’m on the fence and when the time comes, either go to BH and try a few or order 2 or 3 cameras to Montana, play with them and send two back.

Goal is a quality camera (capable of captures I could actually use for print or in a future book without stretching) that is compact enough to be an EDC without needing its own bag. Hoping to easily fit in a cargo pant pocket or at least a neoprene sleeve or similar. Needs WiFi or a mechanism to connect to a phone so I can immediately send captures via text or email. Prefer a non fixed lens and do plan to buy glass. Likely something in the 20ish range, 50mm and something that can reach a little. Maybe in the 120ish range.

Here’s the list I’ve gathered last time I put time into looking around. The Leica is a reach and probably not a contender but wanted to compare the others against it to see if the Leica is really worth the dough.

- Fujifilm X-E3

- Fujifilm X-Pro2

- Fujifilm X-T2

- Leica Q (Marcos)

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, also planning on a Mavik Pro

I'm far outclassed here but maybe you guys will have some knowledge to help me out. Would like to step up my photo game a little but I'm pretty much point and shoot. It's just safer/easier/convenient to have a camera I can conceal on my person for as many reasons as you might imagine. Before digital I solved image quality issues by getting a Leica, which took some nice photos until it died from excessive mileage on it. Guess the question now is this- I've noticed over the years that the 'lower tier' camera brands partnered up with Leica, Zeis, etc., to have their nice lenses in their 'lower tier' cameras. Wondering if I would be improving my pix at all by getting a Leica or similar point and shoot model or is it all kind of the same image quality now across those cameras? Something like Leica is a good name, but I don't want to pay just for the name.

End of the day, it’s alwayd the glass that makes it breaks a camera. Can’t see your Leica being dead and definitely suggest you take it in for review / repair. Those cameras are tanks and likely it can be brought back to life.

Camera @diggity mentioned would be my recommendation. They might have a newer one now, but not sure. It’s an awesome camera and has a lot of range from full auto to being able to dial it in fully. It’s fixed lens but you Get compactness and a lot of people really enjoy having to move to get a shot. Seems to bring out more creativity a lot of the time since more thought goes into the crop out of necessity.

Really digging the Fuji’s for the small EDC type cameras which usually get used for documentary / Street type photography.

Though if you ball like that, can’t go wrong with another Leica.

It was a tank. Fell off the roof of the car onto pavement, no problem. Had a close call where getting hemmed up appeared imminent and had to open the camera mid-film and rip the film out, wasn't great for the camera, but still worked. Survived some shitty temperatures too. Took a beating on top of 100's of photos, it was time for it to be let go.

Like you said, it's about the glass.

I also prefer a good zoom, ability to shoot video, and moving objects like trains. I don't want any wifi or gps features in my camera.

Unsure if any of these cameras tag GPS to shots but do know there’s a ton of tools available for desktop that strip that data completely. Likewise if you’re like most people that actually go out of their way to shoot with an actual camera, than you likely process your shots. That’s another way to strip off exif data.

Lots of cameras support WiFi these days and believe that’ll become more popular over time. Might be a pain the ass, but you can always go back to shooting film and ensure the privacy of your shots to some degree. But then again, you still have to get it developed.

Nope. I do little in the way of processing anything beyond a crop.

I have a cheap camera now, but it takes a wide range of shots and has a good zoom, and no GPS/wifi shit. I know you can strip exif data but the point is I want as little as possible on it to begin with because to me that's info that could be used against you. Besides, I know where I was when I took that shot, and most of what I shoot could wait a day or so to be posted on good practice alone.

• Like 2

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now