Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
6Pennies

Cameras-No Smart Phones

Recommended Posts

What's in your bag?

 

Running a Fuji XT2 with the kit lens (18-55mm) and a 10-24mm WA. Mostly doing landscapes and snap shots or our adventures. Saving coin for the XF 56mm f/1.2 for portraits and nudes.

 

Absolutely love the size and weight of a mirrorless, as well as the ease of operation with the old school dials. No exp with Canon, Nikon, or Sony but nothing is compelling me to look outside of Fuji.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasselblad H4D-50 Wifi, HC Macro 4/120MM II for studio still life (product).

 

Heavy as shit, delicate, slow and totally impractical for much beyond controlled lighting situations. But damn can it take some great captures when it locked to a camera stand in a controlled environment.

  • Props 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuji x100t

 

I love how compact it is and allows me to shoot low key. Went with the fixed lens so that it would be more likely that I would carry it with me.

I still find myself not bringing it nearly as much as i'd like and a little regret for not having the lens options.

 

Didn't want a camera bag so I went with a Patagonia Mini Messenger bag and added an insert to help split up the space inside.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm far outclassed here but maybe you guys will have some knowledge to help me out. Would like to step up my photo game a little but I'm pretty much point and shoot. It's just safer/easier/convenient to have a camera I can conceal on my person for as many reasons as you might imagine. Before digital I solved image quality issues by getting a Leica, which took some nice photos until it died from excessive mileage on it. Guess the question now is this- I've noticed over the years that the 'lower tier' camera brands partnered up with Leica, Zeis, etc., to have their nice lenses in their 'lower tier' cameras. Wondering if I would be improving my pix at all by getting a Leica or similar point and shoot model or is it all kind of the same image quality now across those cameras? Something like Leica is a good name, but I don't want to pay just for the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fuji x100t

 

I love how compact it is and allows me to shoot low key. Went with the fixed lens so that it would be more likely that I would carry it with me.

I still find myself not bringing it nearly as much as i'd like and a little regret for not having the lens options.

 

Didn't want a camera bag so I went with a Patagonia Mini Messenger bag and added an insert to help split up the space inside.

 

That’s been a camera I keep coming back to. I’m on the fence and when the time comes, either go to BH and try a few or order 2 or 3 cameras to Montana, play with them and send two back.

 

Goal is a quality camera (capable of captures I could actually use for print or in a future book without stretching) that is compact enough to be an EDC without needing its own bag. Hoping to easily fit in a cargo pant pocket or at least a neoprene sleeve or similar. Needs WiFi or a mechanism to connect to a phone so I can immediately send captures via text or email. Prefer a non fixed lens and do plan to buy glass. Likely something in the 20ish range, 50mm and something that can reach a little. Maybe in the 120ish range.

 

Here’s the list I’ve gathered last time I put time into looking around. The Leica is a reach and probably not a contender but wanted to compare the others against it to see if the Leica is really worth the dough.

 

- Fujifilm X-E3

- Fujifilm X-Pro2

- Fujifilm X-T2

- Leica Q (Marcos)

 

Thoughts?

 

Oh yeah, also planning on a Mavik Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm far outclassed here but maybe you guys will have some knowledge to help me out. Would like to step up my photo game a little but I'm pretty much point and shoot. It's just safer/easier/convenient to have a camera I can conceal on my person for as many reasons as you might imagine. Before digital I solved image quality issues by getting a Leica, which took some nice photos until it died from excessive mileage on it. Guess the question now is this- I've noticed over the years that the 'lower tier' camera brands partnered up with Leica, Zeis, etc., to have their nice lenses in their 'lower tier' cameras. Wondering if I would be improving my pix at all by getting a Leica or similar point and shoot model or is it all kind of the same image quality now across those cameras? Something like Leica is a good name, but I don't want to pay just for the name.

 

End of the day, it’s alwayd the glass that makes it breaks a camera. Can’t see your Leica being dead and definitely suggest you take it in for review / repair. Those cameras are tanks and likely it can be brought back to life.

 

Camera @diggity mentioned would be my recommendation. They might have a newer one now, but not sure. It’s an awesome camera and has a lot of range from full auto to being able to dial it in fully. It’s fixed lens but you Get compactness and a lot of people really enjoy having to move to get a shot. Seems to bring out more creativity a lot of the time since more thought goes into the crop out of necessity.

 

Really digging the Fuji’s for the small EDC type cameras which usually get used for documentary / Street type photography.

 

Though if you ball like that, can’t go wrong with another Leica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a tank. Fell off the roof of the car onto pavement, no problem. Had a close call where getting hemmed up appeared imminent and had to open the camera mid-film and rip the film out, wasn't great for the camera, but still worked. Survived some shitty temperatures too. Took a beating on top of 100's of photos, it was time for it to be let go.

Like you said, it's about the glass.

I also prefer a good zoom, ability to shoot video, and moving objects like trains. I don't want any wifi or gps features in my camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure if any of these cameras tag GPS to shots but do know there’s a ton of tools available for desktop that strip that data completely. Likewise if you’re like most people that actually go out of their way to shoot with an actual camera, than you likely process your shots. That’s another way to strip off exif data.

 

Lots of cameras support WiFi these days and believe that’ll become more popular over time. Might be a pain the ass, but you can always go back to shooting film and ensure the privacy of your shots to some degree. But then again, you still have to get it developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. I do little in the way of processing anything beyond a crop.

I have a cheap camera now, but it takes a wide range of shots and has a good zoom, and no GPS/wifi shit. I know you can strip exif data but the point is I want as little as possible on it to begin with because to me that's info that could be used against you. Besides, I know where I was when I took that shot, and most of what I shoot could wait a day or so to be posted on good practice alone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nikon D610 when I'm on a mission.

Fuji X10 for play.

 

I'm looking to upgrade my main body soon though, after ~150 shots the amount of oil and dust on the sensor is ridiculous. Nothing I do seems to make a difference, save obsessive cleaning. The D600 had that issue out of the box but allegedly it was fixed by the time the 610 came out. Any recommendations? I want to stick with Nikon if possible, the F-mount system is dope. I love being able to use lenses from the 1970s on modern cameras.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 2:46 AM, DisgracedCosmonaut said:

Nikon D610 when I'm on a mission.

Fuji X10 for play.

 

I'm looking to upgrade my main body soon though, after ~150 shots the amount of oil and dust on the sensor is ridiculous. Nothing I do seems to make a difference, save obsessive cleaning. The D600 had that issue out of the box but allegedly it was fixed by the time the 610 came out. Any recommendations? I want to stick with Nikon if possible, the F-mount system is dope. I love being able to use lenses from the 1970s on modern cameras.

My experience is with the Fuji XT2 only--have taken that thing in some pretty trying conditions, sand dunes being one of them.  I've been pretty impressed with its resistance to the elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No experience with Nikon but @Merceris a Nikon guy so maybe he can chime in. 

 

Usedto shoot only Canon, then moved to Hasselblad for work. Occasionally pull out my old Canons for fun, but looking to get into something more EDC. Haven’t decided yet since I can’t play with them out here easily, but leaning heavily towards Fuji of some type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 5:46 AM, DisgracedCosmonaut said:

Nikon D610 when I'm on a mission.

Fuji X10 for play.

 

I'm looking to upgrade my main body soon though, after ~150 shots the amount of oil and dust on the sensor is ridiculous. Nothing I do seems to make a difference, save obsessive cleaning. The D600 had that issue out of the box but allegedly it was fixed by the time the 610 came out. Any recommendations? I want to stick with Nikon if possible, the F-mount system is dope. I love being able to use lenses from the 1970s on modern cameras.

My only Nikon was the D700 and I put that thing through hell, never had a single issue with it outside of dropping/breaking a lens or two. I'm not sure how you're getting oil and dust on the sensor (outside of changing lenses in less than desirable conditions). I don't think it's so much a problem with the camera, as much as it's probably the technique you're using to change lenses.

 

Normally I'll have my replacement lens ready first, then point the camera straight down and supported by the strap around my neck. Then just press the release, twist the old lens off, and as fast as possible while still being careful mount the new lens. I never had any issues with oil/dirt on the sensor, never had it cleaned,  and used/switched lenses  that camera pretty heavily for years.

 

Treat the inside of that camera body like it was a surgical room, never allow anything to go in there, don't try to blow dust off/out of it (blowing almost always means you'll spit on whatever you're trying to clean, annoys me to see people blow on a lens, they're just making it dirtier). and never open it up with the lens opening facing up, dust will inevitably fall inside if it's facing up.

 

Also sounds like you might have somehow gotten an oily substance on there that attracts/holds dust. You might want to take it in and have it professionally cleaned in a small camera shop where you can actually talk to the technician cleaning it, and mention there's some sort of oil coating the sensor. My D700 had a self cleaning sensor that would vibrate to shake loose any dust on it. If your lens if free of oils/solvents that should be everything you need to keep the sensor clean.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Treat the inside of that camera body like it was a surgical room, never allow anything to go in there, don't try to blow dust off/out of it (blowing almost always means you'll spit on whatever you're trying to clean, annoys me to see people blow on a lens, they're just making it dirtier). and never open it up with the lens opening facing up, dust will inevitably fall inside if it's facing up.

 

Also sounds like you might have somehow gotten an oily substance on there that attracts/holds dust. You might want to take it in and have it professionally cleaned in a small camera shop where you can actually talk to the technician cleaning it, and mention there's some sort of oil coating the sensor. My D700 had a self cleaning sensor that would vibrate to shake loose any dust on it. If your lens if free of oils/solvents that should be everything you need to keep the sensor clean.

 

 

Great advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had Nikon And Canon. Both point and shoot and DSLR and wasn’t fond of the interface of the Nikon DSLR or the quality of picture quality on the Nikon point and shoot. This was about 10 years ago. Not sure about now. Looking at getting a mirrorless for EDC and a DSLR as well. I’ve heard good things about Sony’s mirrorless. Anyone have any experience with those. I’d probably be shooting mostly boring family stuff, vacations, landscapes, dance and graff etc. I would like to get GPS and WiFi as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nikon D800 for most things and an old Pentax K7 for some others (sensor-based stabilizer is way better than most people know, higher fps, smaller file size if I'm not planning to print huge). 

 

Wouldn't have justified buying the Nikon but I'd made a pretty large RM stock sale and figured I'd put it into a camera. 

 

Nikon is great as far as I'm concerned, and a lot of it is their glass...   which gets amazingly expensive very fast if you want to keep up with the resolution of the D8xx series.   At this point I'd rather have a second Pentax (newish full-frame models) because I can use dirt cheap manual lenses with great optics on them really easily, but couldn't really know that when I got it.   Had to sell the two more expensive Nikkor lenses a couple years back but kept the 50mm f/1.4.  On the plus side the used prices weren't terribly far below what I'd paid in the first place thanks to that quality. 

 

 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:46 AM, DisgracedCosmonaut said:

Nikon D610 when I'm on a mission.

Fuji X10 for play.

 

I'm looking to upgrade my main body soon though, after ~150 shots the amount of oil and dust on the sensor is ridiculous. Nothing I do seems to make a difference, save obsessive cleaning. The D600 had that issue out of the box but allegedly it was fixed by the time the 610 came out. Any recommendations? I want to stick with Nikon if possible, the F-mount system is dope. I love being able to use lenses from the 1970s on modern cameras.

 

Not your cam, but nikon did extend an indefinite cleaning period for the D600 on that:  https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/updated-technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-d600-digital-slr-camera.html

The D610 had less problems with it overall but still had lots of reports of it showing up.   I'd suggest contacting Nikon to see if they'd extend that to the D610, especially with that low of a shot count.   There's a chance there.  If the warrantee is still good that might be covered if they won't extend.  It really shouldn't have any of that so early on in the lifespan regardless of lens-changing.  I've always just switched out the lenses on the D800 wherever I happened to be and still don't have a problem with sensor dust.  The Pentax has seen something over 30,000 shots over 10+ years and hasn't been cleaned once, but they use a fancier internal cleaning system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I want that H4D.  Still haven't had the resources to get into medium format but would love it for architecture / landscape stuff.  Need to trick Hasselblad or Pentax into sponsoring me.  😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, misteraven said:

 

Here’s the list I’ve gathered last time I put time into looking around. The Leica is a reach and probably not a contender but wanted to compare the others against it to see if the Leica is really worth the dough.

 

- Fujifilm X-E3

- Fujifilm X-Pro2

- Fujifilm X-T2

- Leica Q (Marcos)

 

Thoughts?

 

Oh yeah, also planning on a Mavik Pro

I’ve had the X-Pro2 for a few months and really enjoying it. The size, the feel, the dials and buttons etc. Also, compared to say, Canon, the lenses are super affordable. I’m taking way more photos these days. 

 

Its a tiny bit big with the 16mm lens on but a lot less conspicuous when compared to a full on dslr, which would be about 3x the size. 

 

Also the electric shutter means it’s silent and so you can hit a whole new level of candid shots without people. 

 

I wish the the video quality wasn’t so shit. Assume it’s the lack of IS that does it but can get better footage off my phone. 

 

Also sometimes it’s image rendering feels a bit too dramatically Fuji. But the fact it almost feels like a film camera also is a bonus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 6:06 PM, GnomeToys said:

Also I want that H4D.  Still haven't had the resources to get into medium format but would love it for architecture / landscape stuff.  Need to trick Hasselblad or Pentax into sponsoring me.  😛

Being honest, I'm not sure I'd buy into that platform now. Ever since it sold to whatever that Chinese company is, the upgrade incentives for Blad owners is a lot worse than it used to be and it seems they're upgrading their cameras much faster (and in less significant ways). Starting to feel like a cash grab, which is how I see Canon these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, poes said:

I’ve had the X-Pro2 for a few months and really enjoying it. The size, the feel, the dials and buttons etc. Also, compared to say, Canon, the lenses are super affordable. I’m taking way more photos these days. 

 

Its a tiny bit big with the 16mm lens on but a lot less conspicuous when compared to a full on dslr, which would be about 3x the size. 

 

Also the electric shutter means it’s silent and so you can hit a whole new level of candid shots without people. 

 

I wish the the video quality wasn’t so shit. Assume it’s the lack of IS that does it but can get better footage off my phone. 

 

Also sometimes it’s image rendering feels a bit too dramatically Fuji. But the fact it almost feels like a film camera also is a bonus. 

Can't you disable all that in camera filter processing stuff?

 

My biggest gripe with Fuji is how many great (bit not quite perfect) options they have. Wish they'd just consolidate it down to a model or two. Every time I get serious about one, I realize something I really want is missing, but available in a different model, that in return lacks something else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Being honest, I'm not sure I'd buy into that platform now. Ever since it sold to whatever that Chinese company is, the upgrade incentives for Blad owners is a lot worse than it used to be and it seems they're upgrading their cameras much faster (and in less significant ways). Starting to feel like a cash grab, which is how I see Canon these days. 

Yeah, I think it's more like "want as part of a collection".   When I bought the D800 I could have afforded a Pentax 645D, but it seemed like sensor tech being used for medium format digital was lagging.  With how much the lenses I would have wanted cost, it got pretty bad. 

For almost anything I'd want to do with an ultra high-res camera, a scanning back would probably work better if they still even make those.  Usually I just stitch a bunch of pictures together which takes zero effort these days.   There's a panorama on this computer somewhere waiting to be printed at 17" x 28 feet.

It looks like the X1D-50c was reviewed today...  and well, it doesn't really impress me like those used to.  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hasselblad-x1d-50c/5

Mirrorless (partial frame as usual) medium format is kinda cool, but at this point I have no idea what the target market is....   Maybe being able to mount a sub $5000 lens on the thing with an adapter?

I keep a collection of weird cameras around though.  There's an original model brownie with a shutter mechanism that still functions, the ill fated Olympus C-211 (Take a digital photo to memory card then print in camera onto a type of polaroid film that no longer exists).  All the... ease of 1999 digital combined with all the quality of very small polaroid film.   For $900, how did they not sell these like hotcakes?   A Sigma SD9, and various others.   I'm still looking for one of the old Sonys that burned photos direct to mini-cd and the F707 with night vision and the weird holographic laser projection autofocus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, misteraven said:

Can't you disable all that in camera filter processing stuff?

 

My biggest gripe with Fuji is how many great (bit not quite perfect) options they have. Wish they'd just consolidate it down to a model or two. Every time I get serious about one, I realize something I really want is missing, but available in a different model, that in return lacks something else.

You can but it's still super distinctive. The same way you can recognise Sony, Leica etc. I think it's because I;ve always used Canon it takes a bit of getting used to. 

The wifi, apart from being a little bit clunky, is a really useful feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×