12ozProphet History

misteraven

I was gathering up stuff to go in storage before my move and saw this.

Adlib on the fact I forgot to take a photo of the damn book itself. 🤦‍♂️Sure various bit of the paraphernalia are missing.

I loved the story written by Caleb Neelon in this - always resonated with me.

Purchased at Scrapyard in NYC on my first visit to NYC in 2006

Not 100% on topic but a bit of 12oz history

IMG_6056.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 3

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

Hey!  I used to have that same magazine!  I have no idea what happened to all my graffiti magazines.  It was a fuzzy time for me.  I always thought it was funny how Twist had some beat up dress shoes on in that dumpster tagging photo..... until I met Debt in Dallas.  Lol, I think he had shoes like that too, totally not a guy you'd think did graffiti if you didn't know him.

thats so crazy man i look up to debt and the whole esk crew so much ur a lucky man

• LOL! 1

@PheelThaPhonk- I dunno how lucky I was.  He showed up at the legal eagle wall real shady like trying to figure out if I was one of the people from a crew that had been biting a famous writer from the area's styleez.  He then wrote "Get off ________'s jock" on top of a piece after we established I wasn't the guy he didn't like.  I didn't like the person he was dissing either.  That was my very limited experience with Debt.  He was a nice guy though, except for the fact that he had an axe to grind with a fucko graffiti writer from the area.

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:57 PM, misteraven said:

Believe this was the second mailorder catalog we did for Straight from the Bottom, the mailorder side of 12ozProphet. Back in the early and mid 1990s we used to print these catalogs up and travel around the country and parts of Europe hitting up graff and B-Boy jams, meeting kids off the board and handing these things out. In fact, UPS was so expensive back in those days that we frequently just hopped flights to deliver suitcases of magazines in person since it cost about the same as UPS. Shop owners, magazine owners and friends would let us crash on their couch for a few days and we'd usually return home with suitcases of foreign graff mags. Deal was that you could take a backpack with your gear, but the two checked bags were solely for the cases of zines in exchange for a free flight to wherever. Pretty crazy how different all that works now, but we had some really great trips and got to see Battle of the Year several times, as well as meet a ton of great people. Likewise in the USA, the B-Boy summit and Rocksteady Jam were milestone annual events that we all anticipated so we could catch up, put faces to names and strengthen friendships that we'd been forming in the early internet days here on the forum.

straight-from-the-bottom-catalog-front.thumb.png.062aadda7dc078c3904ad387804f03d5.png

\straight-from-the-bottom-catalog-back.thumb.png.ca38a32e66841d0e0053a57eb26181ee.png

First graffiti supply catalog I'd ever seen was this exact one. I think I'd ordered some caps from POEM before Seventh Heaven, but dang. Memories. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, LUGR said:

What originally brought you to this forum?

Fate I think.

Myspace is somehow linked to how I found this place, specifically Channel Zero and the Myspace thread, and after reading a few pages and seeing the comedy in that specific thread from Mero and others made me sign up so that I could post the Jeffrey Star types and hot women I found whilst using Myspace at the dawn of social media prior to Facebook moving from uni/college only people like I myself was at the time.

And honestly, whilst I had a graffiti phase as a pre-teen kid, once I realised what this forum was actually about my respect for the members here only grew because I was (and believe I still am) a "toy" especially compared to how incredible some of the artists are who have contributed on here.

I won't lie that as someone who only had a small phase of this scene (before I left it behind to focus on surfing as my interest - as I'm someone who would put all their focus and energy into learning whatever I could about something that interested Me from when I was a kid - perhaps a symptom of the pre-internet age when to learn about something it required more effort than making a few keystrokes or screen swipes, that this forum was one where I was somewhat intimidated by as a 20 something year old with around 10 years on the internet and forums by that time.

That was a good thing though, as it stopped me getting banned although I am sure @seeking was pretty close a couple of times at least.

And while my venturing outside of Channel Zero has not really happened that much, it is more a credit to the misfits and the help provided by casek and seffiks in the PC help thread and tge general community here which kept me around.

And I met EBPH in real life thanks to this forum who helped ensure my journey to the Bay area was a memorable one which proved once again how I can successfully "make friends on the internet" if one invests the time into not only putting themselves out there but are willing to pay others the mutual respect by hearing out and reading what they have to say, share, or perhaps teach about their life such that you can experience things vicariously through them you may never experience otherwise.

While this last point is perhaps me psychoanalysing my propensity to overshare my life with others on here, I am grateful to those who have pursued a field I left behind as a kid in my pursuit of forging my own personal identity which again is why I share where my path lead me to let others know that being an "artist" can mean many things outside of graffiti if they choose to leave it behind as I did, yet the people you meet through such a scene are among the greatest and most accepting people I have met, even if the gatekeepers (the mods who governed this place when it was full of all kinds of crazy)  are those I respect (almost to the point of fear as I indicated above) the most.

• Like 1

I spent about 35 minutes writing the above post whilst I tried to talk myself back to the Genesis of exactly how I ended up here, and I think I was actually linked from a guitar forum I was a member of which started a similar Myspace thread to the one here and he said "if you like thread, look at this one (on 12oz) here".

I did, and here I am nearly 18 years later.

And FWIW, the fact I can't recall what guitar forum it was says all one needs to know about this place and its members.

Danke mistraven for this thread which details how this place was born of passion, and I hope that I can continue to hold onto my own appreciation of art and my passion for it to remain priceless to Me if only as my way of saying thanks to him for making this place my favourite place to be on the internet.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/9/2023 at 8:34 PM, Mauler5150 said:

Danke mistraven for this thread which details how this place was born of passion, and I hope that I can continue to hold onto my own appreciation of art and my passion for it to remain priceless to Me if only as my way of saying thanks to him for making this place my favourite place to be on the internet.

somehow missed these last couple replies, but greatly appreciate it. Being honest it has not been easy. Lot of months I was late with some bill or another or skipped a purchase that anyone would agree was probably more important, just to keep this place alive. Honestly, it still hard, but I’m still trying. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...