Weigh In: Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I am getting some truly bonkers ads on instagram at the moment.

NOOM the ecocity planned for the DUbai desert - no roads, no cars, and absolutely no reason why the fuck anybody would want to live in the UAE desert.

and some adverts to become part of the worlds first off planet society.

wish I could recall the name. they have facebook meetups and all.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

I am getting some truly bonkers ads on instagram at the moment.

NOOM the ecocity planned for the DUbai desert - no roads, no cars, and absolutely no reason why the fuck anybody would want to live in the UAE desert.

and some adverts to become part of the worlds first off planet society.

wish I could recall the name. they have facebook meetups and all.

That’s what happens when you post radical concepts like spaghetti in a toasted sammich.

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

That’s what happens when you post radical concepts like spaghetti in a toasted sammich.

and spend two days constantly flagging every ad as "it's irrelevant"
insta starts getting desperate

gotta try it man it's good but be careful spaghetti is like lava.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, AvramFaind said:

I totally get what you're saying. Social media has changed the way we interact online.

I agree.  I think the conscious person is cations or have taken extra security steps to circumvent surveillance in regards to a small fraction of interacting online.

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

You need to explain of a situation when you met your mom at a sex store. We know you did... how did you react?

This sounds like an interesting story, but maybe I am missing the pretext?

As for the original thread topic, I would say personally in the past few weeks, Social media has improved My conversations given that I now willingly tell people of My disdain for social media in so many ways (this forum obviously excluded).

I think My issues with social media have helped Me learn that I much prefer to speak to people directly face to face in person than to interact with them online, as not only does real life contact between two people create and form bonds and experiences which social media, which, in all truth acts more as an escape mechanism for the individual to detach from "reality", really cannot replicate. And it is these type of experiences which really have actual value that can never be lost nor buried in the sea of endlessly scrolling social media streams.

I think forums like this one, which holds 18 years of My posts and can show how I have personally evolved from being a ninja whose face was hidden behind a MS paint drawn mask to a middle aged Man who no longer cares to hide behind a screenname or online persona given I am now far beyond caring about the potential judgement that can be cast at Me by any other human as I have learned to love Myself and who I am after scrutinising Myself and My character to a degree that is far harsher than anyone else could make based on whatever limited data they have on Me from their visual impressions or the limited conversations I indulge in with them. If anything the point I am making is that forums (and I guess Facebook groups - to a lesser extent) help conversation evolve as it contains permanent records of specific topics and subjects that are commented on by an array of people, yet social media, with the omnipresent threat of getting cancelled if one is too honest or truthful holds back conversation in that people elect to self censor if only due to fear.

If one is unable to tell from My posts the past 12 months or so, I post whatever is going on in My mind with zero filter nor fear of getting cancelled as ultimately if one fails to joke along with Me about that which is mutually congruently able to be proven as "truth", then they either choose to exist within a lie or they deprive themselves of happiness, laughter and the ability to love themselves fearlessly as the fear that they may be subjected to a similar judgement which they may have chosen to subject Me to would see the elevated position they believe they hold to be decimated.

While this might not work for everyone, at least I can encourage others to laugh at themselves and others who take themselves so seriously as mocking those whom engage in such behaviours is perhaps the funniest thing one can do, especially if they stumble across old posts you made 10+ years ago only to see if you have or haven't changed in that time. And when you see where you haven't changed, it helps you self actualise who you truly are as a "soul" for want of a better word.

• Truth 1

• 3 months later...

Feels like things have come full circle… I recall when Flickr presented the first real challenge to the forum… Yahoo did a pretty spectacular job dominating the internet early on and then an even more spectacular job killing off everything they touched later on including Flickr and Tumbler. 

Then came Facebook. I never really saw much in Facebook with its convoluted interface, but it did present the first opportunity for a massive audience and features that allowed for a little more “ownership” perhaps of profiles, online reputations and discussions. I always hated it, but I understand in hindsight especially how it was a juggernaut that we had little chance of doing much about. Incredible that other than serving as an authentication system / data mining behemoth, that all the social side of it is all but dead. 

Then enter Instagram… Truly the nail in the coffin to online communities everywhere, I including this one. Didn’t help that at the start of it gaining popularity, that the forum was experiencing technical issues that were far outside my ability to solve for quite a while. By this point, the powers behind those online experiences had a deep understanding of all the flaws in human behavior and how to optimize exploiting them to huge advantage. Yet here we remain. 

I recall about 5 or 6 or so years ago when I was working to fix all the technical issues and revive the forum how many people told me it could never happen; that forums are dead forever. It’s been an amazing journey and in part, why I’ve popped back up after another hiatus, to put together another attempt at rebuilding everything. A good many of those same people that said to give up and quit, have since come back waxing nostalgic about the forum and all but begging me to provide an alternative to social media and especially Instagram. It is indeed incredible for me to see how people invested so much time and energy in the face to build followers only to be fucked by the big platforms and their algorithms. To have their voices neutered or silenced by those algorithms and completely eroding the accomplishments of building huge follower counts. Adding insult to injury, treating most everyone like the hardly tolerated step child by shadow banning unpopular ideas and eventually shadow banning erratically because someone tripped one of their bots and then denied recourse or due process to fix the situation. 

Anyhow, kinda ranting here but it really is wild to me, how regularly I hear from old 12oz bloggers, as well as some of the biggest names out there - past and present - how much they miss what we had here. 

I believe it truly has come full circle. 

• Like 4
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1