Weigh In: Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?

misteraven

The internet, Ross One said, is “the beginning and end of any conversation about things that used to be sacred that are now not. There’s no more underground culture. It’s really hard today for a kid to have something that’s all their own.”

There are no truer words said. I know that "gate keeping" is a try hard sweaty neckbeard move, but the internet has ruined any semblance of etiquette that the community had during the early years of street wear collecting.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Back on topic...

Link: @12ozprophet

Fresh Fridays with @giz_nyc -
No doubt those who have been around for a minute recognize how the graffiti landscape has changed. It's great to see talented brothers and sisters get recognition and stack chips, but with the mainstream's full embrace of “street art” we can see just how diluted and corny it's become. There’s no longer a cost of entry or dues paid. Subversion and counterculture have been tamed to the point of ubiquity, used to sell craft kits to kids and shitty backpacks at the mall. Going all city was forfeited for hustling your way into a group show and the writer's bench now has corporate sponsorship, hosted each December by the City of Miami. Can’t knock the hustle for those getting paid, but we’d be lying if we didn’t admit that real writers now feel like an endangered species.
-
Indeed 12ozProphet played a role in that transition. We thought we could provide a platform to celebrate the heroes and villains of the culture, but ended up yet another facilitator in the demise of everything we loved. We hope to right those wrongs. We’ve made renewed investments in building back The Writers Forum, reclaiming our dedication to real graffiti… No more hype shit, just graffiti photos (in all their glory and sized beyond a measly 1008 pixels), discourse, and shit talk. No corporate middlemen, no suits making decisions on your behalf. This is for writers, by writers, with an emphasis on maintaining privacy, encouraging what’s real and providing it all in chronological order.
-
Yeah, maybe it is a long shot… Maybe the forum, like graffiti, is all but dead. But we still maintain the faith... Join us.
-
The brothers behind the struggle, since 1993.
-
www.12ozprophet.com -
-
-
-
-
#12ozProphet #freshfridays #graffiti#vandalism #instagraff #streetart#urbanart #hypebeast #hypeAF#hypelife #hype #modernnotoriety#highsnobiety #streetwear

1107213680_ScreenShot2019-05-31at2_36_14PM.thumb.png.aa771a0ad0a110392e49f5af08cdb488.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Are Instagram Influencers Losing Their Influence?

Engagement rates on Instagram are now approaching an all-time low, according to new research...

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/07/237774/instagram-engagement-nears-low

How hysteria over Twitter shadow-banning led to a bizarre congressional hearing

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/6/17824652/twitter-dorsey-energy-and-commerce-hearing-shadow-banning

MSM is still trying to paint people that are recognizing and discussing it as conspiracy theorists. Here's what members of Congress are saying...

"Meanwhile, multiple Democrats on the Energy Committee described the proceedings as a waste of time. After outlining the facts around the alleged shadow-banning incident, Rep. Mike Doyle (D-PA) absolved Twitter and Dorsey of any wrongdoing and called the entire exercise of the hearing “a load of crap.” Frank Pallone Jr. (D-NJ) stated that “this hearing appears to be just one more mechanism to raise money and generate outrage. It appears Republicans are desperately trying to rally their base by fabricating a problem that simply does not exist.”

And then this bit of news comes out this week...

Facebook Patents Shadowbanning

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-patents-shadowbanning-1836411346

Too much of a stretch to consider the people that created those platforms might not necessarily be objective? I can say personally in regards to the forum here that I'm tried to not step on people's opinions and have encouraged people to respectful discussion and debate based on evidence and reason, but even I can't admit to not using this to flex my own points of views on certain subjects that are important to me. Now imagine a silicone valley ego maniac that has billion in the bank and who's agenda is to essentially middle man the online experience. Is it really a stretch to think they might weigh down some things they don't like and perhaps give a bump, if not full advantage, to something they encourage?

Just posted news of the new forum tee on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0EVIAoBkl0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So we have almost 54,000 followers. After 1 hours, less than 1000 have seen it. 87 people have "liked" it.

Fairly certain our account is shadow banned after they rejected our last request to be verified, but stats are abysmal regardless of the reason. Stats like this is what you might expect from spamming people.

• 2 weeks later...

I read quite a bit of the comments and there is too many things to quote. Spending less and less time on a desktop computer really shifted me away from the forum. Also as it exploded with new users I didn’t know and didn’t want to try and relate to by spending time in the same space as them. 12oz at his height held real writers and real folks that were relatable. Some were writers some were just graffiti fans or normal people drawn to the channel zero forum in some way. Social media has not only changed the aspect of relationships it has also quickly dismantled culture. David Chang had the most relevant quote on Ugly Delicious that I couldn’t ever conceive of, he said this “what I don’t like about the exchange of information is, I think that the removal of struggle to get that information creates bad cooking, I think that cooks know more than ever before, but, because it was so easy for them to obtain it’s not special.” Now you can apply that to graffiti, tattooing, cooking, any subculture. And that’s not even what it does to relationships. When MySpace and Facebook crossed over I noticed this change of relationships, I noticed people I knew that didn’t know each other started becoming friends. I thought it was so bizarre for the longest time, now it’s the new normal maybe. What I think that does to people is it stretches your friend group from 10 people to say 50 people, now you loose your closeness and strength of the relationship to the 10 people and it’s spread thin to a larger group of people, or it allows you to move your loyalty around. Over all this is not good for people and I think it builds an ungrounded and unsteady foundation. I was looking at my amazon wishlist that I add a lot of books to and come back to when I need a new book and I saw this one yesterday in my wishlist, then started reading this thread later in the day. I havnt read this book yet but for some reason I think it relates heavily to these topics. I constantly have rabbit holes of thoughts based around social media and our society, something I deemed “public school thoughts” once when I was really fuckin stoned. Because I felt they were thoughts that a public school system teaches you to not ever think about. The last one I came up with was this “You put down the sword for a twig when you think you’re a modern day wizard.” What this meant to me at the time when I was super stoned was that, people are forgetting what the important tools are to battle with be it books, family, friends, nature, and people discard these things that are important tools for a twig. Something that will snap under pressure, you want the twig when you think you’re a modern day wizard. A modern day wizard is someone who thinks they have the answer, someone who is quick to use their words (spellcasting), and the main tool of a modern day wizard is a crystal screen (ball) where they receive all the answers. Everyone can’t be a wizard. To quote Edo G “too many captains and not enough soldiers.” 

I can ramble on forever about this shit, especially the dismantling of culture, and the Subversive rebuilding of culture by corporations.

6AE7A0EC-97FD-452B-9FD7-DD5F04BD7ECC.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh yeah I want to add this as a question for anyone who actually reads this. 

What do you think of writers using social media for shameless self promotion. 

Like I thought what “we” did was secret. Yet I see people I know and don’t know who are long time vandals. Posting train photos in between tattoos, or posting pictures on a business account to where you can definitely figure out who they are. Or there girl comments on it and you can click her page and see them together. That shit is wild as fuck to me, as someone who is still very secretive about any and all criminal activity. Is there just so much graffiti or crime going on in the world now that resources for prosecutions spread thin??

26 minutes ago, Intangible said:

. Is there just so much graffiti or crime going on in the world now that resources for prosecutions spread thin??

Where I live, there is very little graff.   The reason for that is because they have made it easy to get a felony, and they give you 2-5 years for a single thing.   Not much crime, so they track down marker tags, and charge them with over $1000. Which so happens to be the damage amount to be a felony.   

• Like 1

@IntangibleI think you certainly make some valid points, but I think it really boils down to the fact that meaningful relationships need to be built on something meaningful. It truly is as simple as that.

The interactions on Instagram are not meaningful. The platform simply limits that from having even the potential to occur. Its a steady stream of digestible content, no longer even curated by the individual themselves. You can follow whoever you want, but you're stuck seeing already abbreviated (consumable) content, that is now filtered and then also presented in an order that they've defined. How can a person find any meaning when its shallow to begin with, but then also happens to be spoon fed according to whatever method or agenda Instagram has deemed best for you. Then further ruining any potential towards meaning, is that the platform is dumbing down interactions to the point of literally a double tap. Because of the nature of mobile, we developed the "emoji" so we can express ourselves on the run, without the benefit of time or even the instrument to compose an articulate response, let alone a meaningful one. So where does that leave us.... Instagram.

Think about this... You guys have established meaningful relationships with each other to the point that many of us are back here picking up the pieces and rebuilding the community. Most of you have followed each other on Instagram as well, so you know what both sides of this coin are like. Do you believe that the people you've followed on Instagram only, that you do not know in real life, will be people you will still interact with 10 years from now? Do you expect many of those relationships will be people you're cool with enough that many will turn into meetups and road trips? 

We had something very special with 12ozProphet. Naturally it had good things and bad things, but the fact that so many of you stayed in touch even after the forum collapsed and years after its "dark era" so many of you stayed connected. So many of more of you are now greeting each other like the long lost friends you indeed are, as more and more people find out about all this and come trickling back. We were all really just kids trying to figure out life. None of this had a master plan and I can tell you for fact, there was never any corporate investors, consultants or business plans. (maybe if there had been it would have become Instagram). My point is that, its an amazing thing to look back on all that came from the old forum and honestly, it's almost more amazing that what we did as dumb kids here on the 12ozProphet forum, having fun and trying to understand what life was about was so meaningful that we might actually have a chance at rebuilding this community again today.

• Like 4
  • Props 1

• 3 weeks later...

In case people have been distracted and forgot that you're being tracked, followed and monetized by Social Media / Tech (and who knows how many other people.

Bummer to find out Apple doing it too when they seemed to be putting out so much messaging claiming respect for privacy.

Facebook Said It Wasn't Listening to Your Conversations. It Was.

Facebook's excuse? All the other tech companies were doing it, too.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjw889/facebook-said-it-wasnt-listening-to-your-conversations-it-was

Apple contractors 'regularly hear confidential details' on Siri recordings

Workers hear drug deals, medical details and people having sex, says whistleblower.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/26/apple-contractors-regularly-hear-confidential-details-on-siri-recordings

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Almost done with this book also. It's a good read and a good reminder about community. Loved Bobby's blog back in the day, never much into their prints tho/ also hard AF to cop downunder back in the day.

Anyone else been noticing a bunch of music coming out calling out social media and the internet? I know that Post Malone just did one with Kanye, Tom McDonald is rapping about people being buttholes online and A Perfect Circle had a recent single that touches on it too.

I don't know what it all means but it's definitely being talked about imho.

Perhaps I'm overthinking these tho.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:09 AM, misteraven said:

In case people have been distracted and forgot that you're being tracked, followed and monetized by Social Media / Tech (and who knows how many other people.

Bummer to find out Apple doing it too when they seemed to be putting out so much messaging claiming respect for privacy.

Facebook Said It Wasn't Listening to Your Conversations. It Was.

Facebook's excuse? All the other tech companies were doing it, too.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjw889/facebook-said-it-wasnt-listening-to-your-conversations-it-was

Apple contractors 'regularly hear confidential details' on Siri recordings

Workers hear drug deals, medical details and people having sex, says whistleblower.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/26/apple-contractors-regularly-hear-confidential-details-on-siri-recordings

Amazon too.  I see people shilling for smart speakers all the time.  Not sure why I should spend +$100 for amazon to be able to market to me constantly.

They need human interpretation to fine tune the machine learning to help it grasp context, and some of the things that people overhear are so upsetting that the employees have created places online where they can decompress and share horror stories because they aren't allowed to report anything to authorities.  So you can buy ass wipe easier.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/04/amazon-workers-eavesdrop-amazon-echo-clips/587110/

Edited by metronome

Definitely haven’t skimmed the thread yet. However, I’ll go out on a limb and say that all of this probably connects the dots between wether or not 2 people who have never met irl but constantly interact via social media hardly ever say a word in person if given the opportunity🤷🏽‍♂️. Perhaps i’m off base. Either way it’s definitely had a negative impact on life as we know it. I know that personally I am guilty of this malarkey. Exchanging likes and comments and messages for years on end and freezing up like a statue irl. 

• 4 weeks later...

So with this recent Instagram update they've done away with the activity feed half where you get to see what people you follow are liking and commenting on. 

Why would they do that, you ask?

Because everyone is dropping off and its getting harder to disguise it. As I believe I already mentioned (can't recall anymore), they made some changes a while back where now they repeat the same posts in your feed. More recently, they updated the activity feed where you get activity alters for something that occurred in your own feed more than once. So if you get a comment, they'll keep pushing alerts about it more than once, within 24 hours to make it seem like stuff is happening. If you scrutinize the new activity, you quickly see that its the same thing you already got alerted to and checked out previously. Now they're hiding other people's activity to mask the fact that its not just you that slowed down, but everyone else as well.

Getting harder and harder for them to find new ways to hide the fact that Instagram is in a death spiral. Nail in the coffin will be for all the people that are truly addicted to the endorphine rush that comes with people 'liking' their posts as well as all the FOMO, to find a replacement for Instagram. 

I'm still hearing about businesses that are clueless and chasing an outdated marketing and promotion strategy that was once well serviced by social media, but likewise, I'm also hearing of many others that are at a loss as they see what's happened but are unsure what the next move is. Regardless, we're seeing the beginning of the end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, misteraven said:

So with this recent Instagram update they've done away with the activity feed half where you get to see what people you follow are liking and commenting on. 

Because everyone is dropping off and its getting harder to disguise it. As I believe I already mentioned (can't recall anymore), they made some changes a while back where now they repeat the same posts in your feed. More recently, they updated the activity feed where you get activity alters for something that occurred in your own feed more than once. So if you get a comment, they'll keep pushing alerts about it more than once, within 24 hours to make it seem like stuff is happening. If you scrutinize the new activity, you quickly see that its the same thing you already got alerted to and checked out previously. Now they're hiding other people's activity to mask the fact that its not just you that slowed down, but everyone else as well.

Getting harder and harder for them to find new ways to hide the fact that Instagram is in a death spiral. Nail in the coffin will be for all the people that are truly addicted to the endorphine rush that comes with people 'liking' their posts as well as all the FOMO, to find a replacement for Instagram. 

I'm still hearing about businesses that are clueless and chasing an outdated marketing and promotion strategy that was once well serviced by social media, but likewise, I'm also hearing of many others that are at a loss as they see what's happened but are unsure what the next move is. Regardless, we're seeing the beginning of the end.

Using my browser to sign in, and check an IG link, checked the feed and first 3 page loads had the same days old thirsty thot selfie as first post. I stopped clicking likes on thot photos, and haven't for years since I got called out for it. I think they look at what you stop scrolling and look at now to tell what to feed you. Smells of desperation, like a dumb bitch trying to tell me everything she thinks I want to hear.

Also, I know quite a few people that have placed too much of their professional eggs in the IG basket. They're complaining, but still in a state of denial as if it's just a temporary dip. Metrics appear to be going up but the conversion rates are dropping off. The moment I hint towards IG becoming obsolete, the conversation reels back to, yea, but I mean everyone is on it so...

49 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Just jumped in here because i find 12 pages of discussion a bit daunting but noted this post and checked

wow this latest development is a kick in the balls for those of us who like to find new accounts with good stuff.

It was handy to find those aggregator style accounts ( oldschoolitaly, Bestofswedenoldschool,  or whatever) more passively without having to type in details

At  least it means my wife can't see that I liked . 7 of  "Honeybooty404077777:"'s noods.

but how am I going to find Honeybooty404077777 if i can't see that my mate liked a shot? 

CUNTS

• LOL! 1

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Metrics appear to be going up

Fake news and fact is I'm seeing the same small uptick. Instagram is showing the same content over and over again, so would make sense that people are seeing a little uptick. Completely meaningless as far as all else I'm seeing. Part I'm not quite understanding is why they're still pushing that heavy handed algorithm and not showing content to your full range of followers. Only explanation I can come up with is if they do it, it sort of wrecks the pay to play business model they have.

Either way, the shit is done. Many would argue it died ages ago when Facebook bought Instagram. Perhaps true, but shit is clearly on its way out even with the benefit of a government backed unfair competitive advantage and documented addictiveness to it.

Anyone feel like whipping out their crystal ball and predicting what the next era of online life will look like? I'm not talking Minority Report far off the deep end shit or Musk brain implant shit, but more what the next few years might look like?

• Like 1
  • Truth 1