WHATS THE LAST THING YOU BOUGHT?

DETO

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Idk, I have my quirks with gulf shrimp.  It's like, I don't want to know where they are coming from and would like to think our shrimp comes from places like south pacific.  But I know that's not the case.   What's tough for me to eat shrimp, is all the past oil spills in the gulf.   I know it sounds crazy as we all take risks steppingmout our doors everyday but it's pretty much the thought which I cut way back specially after the deep horizon knowing the waters around the spill where crop dusted with a chemical that neutralizes the oil and it sinks to the sea floor. 

I much prefer a domestic wild caught shrimp than anything imported from the South Pacific errrrrr probably South East Asia.

• Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough.  Most of the frozen/previously frozen shrimp around are from Thailand, Vietnam, and India.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but those are different shrimp that live there, not what we grew up eating.  Much of that is also farmed shrimp, which I'm not crazy about.

Locally I definitely worry about gulf shrimp for reasons @ndvalready said (and I'm glad to hear someone from down there say it) but it's hard for me to find other U.S. caught shrimp where I'm at.  I have seen gulf shrimp making a comeback in markets and such.

9c1ac93b-78d0-4b46-8581-7e6e378e337a_tex

120aeb2c-fdc2-4088-8ae8-bac33c246525_tex

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

@LUGR I agree, the pacific shrimp doesn't compare to the US gulf shrimp.  Gulf shrimp seem to have more flavor than other shrimp in other parts of the world.  But it's tough for me to opt for knowing out gulf conditions.  Plus it doesn't help during the somer when our local news outlets report water samples that have fecal matter on the high sides.  And this fecal matter isn't from the sea creatures, human waste is what they test for.  

@One Man Banned its nice to know other people question our gulf shores too.  Louisiana is a huge supplier for shrimp throughout the states for the most part.  Which I am not knocking on the industry but not just oil and gas industry not to mention other industry polluters along the Mississippi River all the way up to Wisconsin.  There's a lot of natural to industrial waste that dumps out from the mouth of the Mississippi.  The thought of this is tough for me.

When it comes to seafood, halibut is the only fish I'll eat, but don't get me wrong, I can't pass up good gumbo, or shrimp etouffee.

Who knows, even the halibut could be contaminated in Alaska too.  

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

@LUGR I agree, the pacific shrimp doesn't compare to the US gulf shrimp.  Gulf shrimp seem to have more flavor than other shrimp in other parts of the world.  But it's tough for me to opt for knowing out gulf conditions.  Plus it doesn't help during the somer when our local news outlets report water samples that have fecal matter on the high sides.  And this fecal matter isn't from the sea creatures, human waste is what they test for.  

@One Man Banned its nice to know other people question our gulf shores too.  Louisiana is a huge supplier for shrimp throughout the states for the most part.  Which I am not knocking on the industry but not just oil and gas industry not to mention other industry polluters along the Mississippi River all the way up to Wisconsin.  There's a lot of natural to industrial waste that dumps out from the mouth of the Mississippi.  The thought of this is tough for me.

When it comes to seafood, halibut is the only fish I'll eat, but don't get me wrong, I can't pass up good gumbo, or shrimp etouffee.

Who knows, even the halibut could be contaminated in Alaska too.  

Think about all the unregulated industrial waste coming out of places in Asia. I have spent some time on boats out there and coming into port in big cities is disturbing to the point I was freaked out to get the water on me and would never eat anything out of the water. And in that same water people were in it fishing to feed themselves. Travel out of port a few hours and I would eat the fish though and swim.

Gulf caught seafood tastes super clean to me. There is so much water out there and you can definitely taste a difference compared to stuff caught inshore.

I am more concerned about micro plastics and shit like that.

Halibut is insanely good. I went halibut fishing in Alaska and this dude on our boat caught a monster. Had to shoot it with a .22 before bringing it on board. Quite a memorable experience.

For the record, farmed shrimp, fish and mussels sketch me out.

• Like 2

I get the oyster farming since oyster pretty much just go with thr flow of the ocean currents, so it kinda makes sense to me.  Easier to catch.  

I agree, nano/micro plastics are pretty much in every thing land and sea at this point, no way around it.  With that l, said, I pretty much question, what is organic now?

Honestly, I think our food supplies are all contaminated to a certain extent.    

Love halibut.  Had it with a dab of sour cream and it was fire.  It's really good when cooked with coconut oil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

How about Rocky Mountain oysters?

Naw, not me. My friend likes them supposedly. The thought grosses me out.

I was having rendang once and I think there may have been one in it. It was weird, different texture, definitely didn’t finish eating that part. Seemed like some sort of organ.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

But yeah, agree, plastic bad, Halibut good.  Oysters.... guess I'd try farmed oysters but I'm pretty picky about oysters to begin with, I like certain regions over others.

You probably already have tried them if you eat oysters often.

I don’t think they use all the antibiotics and shit with oysters. Plus, they just sit there in the farm or in natural habitat and aren’t like fish that need space to swim around.

My friend is in the process of starting and oyster farm and has been going through all the stuff with the state to get it up and running. I should ask him what the deal is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LUGR said:

You probably already have tried them if you eat oysters often.

I don’t think they use all the antibiotics and shit with oysters. Plus, they just sit there in the farm or in natural habitat and aren’t like fish that need space to swim around.

My friend is in the process of starting and oyster farm and has been going through all the stuff with the state to get it up and running. I should ask him what the deal is.

Nope, been a minute.  I've been to many of the known oyster bars on both coasts in the past , before a lot of the farming took off.  I've seen some farms on tv shows and it does appear more legit than some other farmed seafood.

In the last year I've learned that the farmed Salmon are subject to sea lice and other things that affect their skin and health.  Also wasn't crazy about how farmers can pick the flesh color they want and the fish are then given a diet that changes the color.

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, nicklesndimes said:

i've never had kimchee

I've been watching your gardening skills but haven't been paying attention to your dietary preferences and restrictions. So, I'll just list some thing that I like:

Kimchee is a probiotic

It is fermented cabbage, spiced

Great on a burger instead of lettuce and tomato 

Great with tamales if you're out of salsa

Perfect with steak and rice

Never good with ice-cream

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

img_0093.jpeg?w=480

Got this off Amazon yesterday.

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

This one from a goodwill crate dig haul, but I'm kinda getting over hitting up goodwill cause they put the records right on the waiting line for the register so it's hella awkward sifting through shit.

Currently convincing myself to by stuff off discogs cause I really want the whole collection of 'sonny Lester's how to" records 

• Like 5
  • Props 2

13 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

does it have enouement in there?

DU0Nky0WsAA9hc5.jpg

Yuuup that's where it's from.

énouement

n. the bittersweetness of having arrived here in the future, where you can finally get the answers to how things turn out in the real world—who your baby sister would become, what your friends would end up doing, where your choices would lead you, exactly when you’d lose the people you took for granted—which is priceless intel that you instinctively want to share with anybody who hadn’t already made the journey, as if there was some part of you who had volunteered to stay behind, who was still stationed at a forgotten outpost somewhere in the past, still eagerly awaiting news from the front.

A coworker I ride home with was bumping this album

And I ended up looking up the word sonder and found it was from book of sorrows.

I'm not huge into rap but Brent has some solid works in the vein of Kendrick and black hippy

• Props 1