The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 11/2/2021 at 6:28 PM, Schnitzel said:

I had no idea you had porcupines in the Americas.

cool to see one!

saw some in india but in a zoo.

seeing in the wild is waaaaaaay cooler!

Agreed.  But a little anxiety provoking when you have your dog with you, dogs with a face full of quills is common enough and is usually going to cost you a trip to the vet.  

Re: the above porcupine, I knew there was something up with it and finally realized what it is.  That porcupine was attacked in the not too long ago.  You can clearly see its quills but there's not a ton of them present, meaning that the rest are stuck in some animal's paws/face.  Given the location, very likely a wild animal.

• 1 month later...

1622448761_IMG_0409copy.thumb.JPG.4a127155b413cd23e52a5e6de020b2a6.JPG

1802523961_IMG_0411copy.thumb.JPG.e812e5e34ecadb306f2131af64f7c98a.JPG

This guy occasionally visits and wound up unintentionally trapped, gave me a chance to check him out up close.  He didn't want to leave the trap either, I've only heard them chatter but found out they can growl and snap too.  They have paws like hands and I thought it was pretty cool when I put a stick in that he reached out and grabbed it, not a lot of animals can do that.

You do NOT want to fuck with a raccoon.  I'm sure you know that.  They are like fucking tazmanian devils when they are mad.... and they have all the right tools and strength to seriously fuck up anything of any size.

I think there are some videos of "turtle man" where he tried catching raccoons in peoples' houses..... seeing them lash out changed my opinion on them a whole lot.  Scary af tbh.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

This is 100% true but at the same time I've grown up with a lot of nature resources about ones that were either domesticated to an extent or that in the least learned to exist with man in nature.  They're pretty smart and curious too.  Around here the crazed raccoons are associated with having rabies.  The one above usually passes through in the wee hours so we never meet but last night I heard it fucking with the trap around 8 or 9 and then found it early this morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 2:19 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

That's bad ass you're growing corn like that in your yard.  When I think of corn I imagine huge fields.

They were looking great until I went away for 6 nights and we had a mini heatwave in the time I was gone.

On day 2 the wind blew my dodgy sprinkler set up over so one lot got major watering and the rest got roasted.

Pulling the first cob tomorrow/next day curious to see how they look.

Learned an important fact about corn: the plants have to touch each other with their leaves so I've been doing something right all along

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Wtf. Cannot tell if dead or alive. Alive would be madness for you to be bothering. Appears to be dead but not sure if lol. 

Opossum's gonna possum.  It's very much alive, but appropriately playing dead.  Had to free it from a trap not meant for it after it got its jaws locked around the trap, it was released several feet away and allowed to wander off.  I've rarely heard them make a sound.  Learned that they're great for eating ticks.  The counter to @Schnitzel's AUS possum he posted a week or so ago (in Pies thread?) 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Yes, especially when you consider that he's coming out of hibernation and should be at his lowest weight here.  That's around a 400lb bear.  Luckily he's pretty passive and has made for some great up close viewing before. 

How are black bear?  I guess what I am trying to understand, are they mellow but can get aggressive, or are they basically temperamental and aggressive?  How are they compared to grizzly or other bear species?

Just asking, never encountered a bear.  

14 minutes ago, ndv said:

How are black bear?  I guess what I am trying to understand, are they mellow but can get aggressive, or are they basically temperamental and aggressive?  How are they compared to grizzly or other bear species?

Just asking, never encountered a bear.  

They're all wild so potentially dangerous, but black bears would be considered less dangerous than other bears, smaller too.  I'd say they're overall mellow, like for all the ones I've encountered they generally wanted nothing to do with people.  However, as you get into less populated and more wooded areas around here I notice the bear warnings change to something that politely warns you that you could become prey.  There's also a lot of variables though, like mothers with cubs aren't too crazy about people with dogs getting near.  Yearlings that are separating from their mothers and finding their own way, the males are testing their strength and having to compete for territory, I feel that's a bit of a wild card even though I've (knock on wood) never had an issue with them either.  Stupid people try to approach them whereas I tend to position myself where the bear has a choice to come to me or go a different direction.  And, if you are providing a food source to them and then you suddenly remove that you best look out.  My folks didn't listen to me on that and the bear came back twice and smashed their shit up.

• Like 2