Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Been massively enjoying these hawks that nested near me for months, now seeing them teach their offspring to fly and hunt.  They lurk in low branches in the woods about eye level so I've gotten some up close views.  In this pic they're about 1' off the ground.  Watched the adult fling some small animal and then the juvenile followed and did the same.

1906248948_IMG_1989copy.thumb.JPG.16b84743e56b63388f76590e17b1a88a.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pissdrunkwhat?! said:

Me and my wife want to start a commune. Anyone down? Farm, goat cheese, herbal things. I mean it's not a cult but it might be a little.

Pacific NW is great for that. Parts of rural Utah as well. Up my way it’s mostly people trying to be left alone, but might work. 

Checked out this cool hive setup.  I'm used to seeing the outdor box style hives.  This was a large hanging plexiglass frame with a blanket over it inside a shed.  A tube led from it to a hole in an outer wall.  There was kind of a plexiglass cup on the top that appeared to be used for collecting honey.  Looked incredibly cheap and simple, could easily put in a garage, basement, or shed.

619754701_IMG_2602copy.JPG.36776d1b777d1bc355e260b2564d354c.JPG

1804146498_IMG_2603copy.JPG.3543de853386dacefcd3f3f9776f4c73.JPG

1 hour ago, One Man Banned said:

Checked out this cool hive setup.  I'm used to seeing the outdor box style hives.  This was a large hanging plexiglass frame with a blanket over it inside a shed.  A tube led from it to a hole in an outer wall.  There was kind of a plexiglass cup on the top that appeared to be used for collecting honey.  Looked incredibly cheap and simple, could easily put in a garage, basement, or shed.

619754701_IMG_2602copy.JPG.36776d1b777d1bc355e260b2564d354c.JPG

1804146498_IMG_2603copy.JPG.3543de853386dacefcd3f3f9776f4c73.JPG

Can't visualize this... You have any shots from further back? Or can you explain it a bit more?

49 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Can't visualize this... You have any shots from further back? Or can you explain it a bit more?

I don't, it was dark and they were keeping theirs covered with a blanket.  But looked it up, it's called an observation hive and it appears there are several styles and sizes with similar concepts in how they work.  Guess the tube on top of the one I saw is a feeding station, so I assume they still have to open it up to get the honey.  Indoor & outdoor models:

image.png.d8efc94424997b31ada562b3a819925a.png

image.png.2a4ca67499ab7b25d4729f1f2ab0ec96.png

image.png.46b253c94e7de58f1540a4f9489963dd.png

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, aimer said:

Damn those are cool. We kept bees when I was growing up, loved smoking those fuckers out and getting some fresh honey

I used to be mad into it.made hundreds of dollars one year selling honey.

I had 14 hives each two levels and i  thought it was the fucking best until one day I tried to clear a swarm from the shed where I'd left some stuff.

I used a clean vacuum bag and sucked them all up  they were right in swarm like beard of bees density.

Wandered across the field, released them by the hives they seemed fine.

Walked back across the field and stupidly took off my hood without thinking that possibly a cloud of 2000 angry bees might be coming for me.

Heard a high pitched buzz and started to to put hood back on but by then the first few hundred were on me

Got stung about 9 times on the face plus a few more times across various other points . That's how we discovered I was allergic to bee stings.

Put an end to it but the next year I discovered graff so it wasn't a total loss.

• Props 2
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, One Man Banned said:

What I figured from pics but still, hot and/or humid day those waters look good for at least a polar bear plunge.  

Yeah man, I've swam a few times in the river that cuts along my property. On all but the hottest days where you've been working in the sun, its honestly tough to swim across a 30ft gap. Basically numbingly cold.

In some of the photos I've posted above, those waters are even colder. Even in summer, they're frigid and only don't have ice in them because they move so fast. The number one killer at Glacier is people falling into the water. Hypothermia sets in nearly immediately and the heavy currents make it extremely challenging to crawl out since you quickly loose motor skills and sensation in your hands / arms.