The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

havent done much fishing lately but growing up, id dig up worms and catch crickets and grasshoppers which seemed to work well.

deer have eaten pretty much all my lettuce and snap peas. cucumbers doing well, steady harvesting carrots and cherry tomatoes.

note: the yellow carrots are just part of that strain of carrots, been getting alot of purple carrots too, some magenta on the outside w/ orange on the inside. pretty tasty

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5954.JPG

Edited by simon sandleshit
  • Like 2

Super fresh! (Literally and figuratively). Great job @simon sandleshit

Don't have photos, but lately we’ve had large flicks of wild turkeys converging in our yard. Several groups of turkey hens (females) with adolescent groups a dozen or two dozen deep, as well as groups of toms (males) that seem to want to fight it out with each other. Meanwhile my chickens and ducks are still free ranging so they’re getting caught up in the mix and between us getting to the last month before temperatures really dip and also with all the wild fires, the deer are extra bold and steadily grazing our yard and fields.

Whole thing looks like some weird Noah’s ark type scene. 

Used to eat a ton of duck eggs, but they're so rich that we got sick of them. If you've eaten a free range farm fresh egg... comparing that to some bland store bought shit is the same difference again between the farm egg and a farm duck egg. They are about 20 - 30 bigger, bit higher in protein as well and have a slight creamy consistency when beaten into scrambled eggs or used in recipe, but yeah... basically a much richer / eggier version of a chicken egg.

Ducks are a bit of a pain in the ass to keep and likely why the eggs cost so much more and aren't more widely available. Ducks eat far more than chickens, they're way messier and higher maintenance. Chickens naturally go in and out as needed, dont eat much and will lay steady as long as they have enough day light. Ducks are just smart enough to test the limits on shit, so they wont always go into a coop at night (meaning you need to herd them into the coop so a predator doesnt eat them), they make a mess out of water, food and bedding and eat a lot more. They also stop laying as soon as the days shorten in winter and wont start again until spring when its warm and sunny.

Then again, they have a ton of personality compared to chickens and can be trained a bit if you work at it since they naturally lean towards established routines. In fact, if you break their routine, they'll sit there and literally quack in a way that its obviously them complaining.

• Truth 1

On 8/20/2018 at 12:41 PM, misteraven said:

Freakin yellow jackers have been insane this year. Super freakin aggressive. Literally come at you from nowhere and bounce off you a couple times before finally stinging.

Didn't realize that yellow jackets are by far the most aggressive our of all wasps and bees. They also happen to both sting and bite. There's a more aggressive subspecies to an already aggressive main family that sort of like an africanized version.

Been really nuts though.

They were the only thing that would pollinate trinidad moruga scorpions when I grew them.  They had two nests like 5 feet away on one side of a fence that I regularly walked past and accidentally grabbed a couple of times when I put my hand on the fence and they never stung me.  Actually they ignored me, and I was out there enough.   Since those things will chase me all over the damn place normally I concluded that there was something in the ultra hot pepper plants getting them higher than fuck. 

Have your ducks been a pain in the ass for you? At least you have a mix of chickens to provide eggs steadily. Had some chickens growing up and their eggs blew any store bought eggs out of the water. 

ko - nice spot! finding food in the wilderness is always a good experience. foraging is something i definitely want to learn more about and get better at. ive found huckleberries and blueberries along hiking trails before but wasnt able to identify them really until someone else along the trail pointed em out to me.

Some of the stinging insects are hyper aggressive and others could give 2 fucks unless you are directly on their nest.  If they become bothersome they make a paper nest, basically a paper lantern, that you can get for a few bucks to hang where you don't want them.  Wasps, etc., won't build a nest within 100' of them, but will still visit the area to polinate for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ~KRYLON2~ said:

I was thinking of taking leftovers of whatever and throwing it in a blender to make some sort of dip/doughball bait. It should be good enough for river fishing. I catch alot of carp and catfish on worms or bread balls but I'm gonna try something different

Try hot dogs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Suckily awesome.

Had thought about this when you first posted fowl.  

Did you have any deterrents like electric fence, or plans to add something?

No electric fence. Worried my kids or dog will touch it. I do have an 8 ft game fence and my cool is built about as solid as a human house. 

495A08B0-7F75-4D28-B565-8D23463FDB12.thumb.jpeg.2465b1724c60c1afa21aeb1edd27d153.jpeg

• Props 1