The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That black bear picture is super dope! I've been hella bunkered down for most the winter. Its finally starting to thaw out here, and were getting rain instead of snow. I started fly fishing (which is pretty damn difficult), I've only had a few nibbles. Luckily I have a friend to teach me and fish together with. I'm hoping to catch some dinner on backpacking trips this summer. Sadly I've gotta move houses and will probably have a very minimal gardening space at best this season which is pretty disappointing. Although I may look into a community garden space if I can get it cheap. 

My animal managed to roll in some sort of dead animal matter and get incredibly stinky on this day too. Ive bathed her and she still stinks several days later. Nice part about fishing is you can find badass bridge walls to paint along the river. 

IMG_20190405_163755500.jpg

IMG_20190406_143144457.jpg

IMG_20190405_184649482_HDR.jpg

Edited by simon sandleshit
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple from this weekend...

Seems this thread has turned into more of a photo share than a discussion on the logistics or decision making process of leaving the big city for a more self sufficient and perhaps simpler lifestyle. Not sure if there's still a few people lurking this thread or maybe a couple that just haven't asked the questions, but just a note to tell anyone that on the fence to feel free and ask questions if you have them... Happy to answer them based on my own experience from having lived in the heart of downtown NYC to now living way off the beaten path.

Also, though it might be interesting to hear @Mercerchime in. I know I call him out quite a bit, but we're friends in real life and definitely a lot of overlap and synergies in our experience and outlook. Anyhow, I know Mercer is sort of caught in the city for at least a while longer, but also recognize he'd probably rather have a nice piece of property he owns out away from the nonsense. Thought maybe you can share a little of your own experiences with trying to make the best of the situation until you can pull that move off.

Anyhow, here's some new stuff...

IMG_4090.thumb.JPEG.aedbab36b2beb53fdd6f30243b89f748.JPEG

IMG_4091.thumb.JPEG.0720a071c3518b83b3e30f669adbf356.JPEG

IMG_4093.thumb.JPEG.5fc60c9700d605e075f3ba7dda90c64f.JPEG

IMG_4092.thumb.JPEG.58111c3718a882917be4f2c78acba073.JPEG

IMG_4095.thumb.JPEG.040b12d02075c88e1e224a82df68d17c.JPEG

On 5/6/2019 at 12:34 AM, simon sandleshit said:

dayum homie you got a horse! thats tight as fuck. you should totally do a camping trip with a horse. dude can carry everything.

Yeah, he's trained to pack in addition to leading. He's also good around guns so you can take him hunting as well.

I don’t really chime in much here because I’m basically in the center of the spiders web wrapped up in silk at the moment. I’m very much on grid in every sense. For me the freedom I currently seek is financial, and right now I’m able to remedy this longing best here in the rat race.

3 years below 14th in Manhattan had me ready to leave also, now that I’m back in Queens I’m at peace. Honestly, I don’t mind having Queens as a home base for now. I’m focusing on saving, and finding ways to live comfortably for less in the hopes of one day retiring early. Leaving now would set me back from that goal.

My focus for leaving the grid is more based on getting out of my employment, and dipping entirely into self sufficiency. I’ve registered an LLC in January, and worked together with my wife to start a consulting business that she works full time at now for a single client, making almost twice what she made at her old gig which she lost, and actually netting more than I do now. Cool thing is we’ve automated everything so she’s really only working 3 - 4 hours a day and looks like she gets 16 hours of work done every day. Next step is going to be getting myself out from under the tax boot, and accumulating more off grid wealth.

• Props 3

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don’t really chime in much here because I’m basically in the center of the spiders web wrapped up in silk at the moment. I’m very much on grid in every sense. For me the freedom I currently seek is financial, and right now I’m able to remedy this longing best here in the rat race.

3 years below 14th in Manhattan had me ready to leave also, now that I’m back in Queens I’m at peace. Honestly, I don’t mind having Queens as a home base for now. I’m focusing on saving, and finding ways to live comfortably for less in the hopes of one day retiring early. Leaving now would set me back from that goal.

My focus for leaving the grid is more based on getting out of my employment, and dipping entirely into self sufficiency. I’ve registered an LLC in January, and worked together with my wife to start a consulting business that she works full time at now for a single client, making almost twice what she made at her old gig which she lost, and actually netting more than I do now. Cool thing is we’ve automated everything so she’s really only working 3 - 4 hours a day and looks like she gets 16 hours of work done every day. Next step is going to be getting myself out from under the tax boot, and accumulating more off grid wealth.

Is it possible to go into more detail about what your wife did and how she managed to improve her position going at it solo?

Perhaps time to bump the crypto thread?

She's a personal assistant for some very wealthy people. She had a gig as nanny/personal assistant for years, last gig was working for a director/vp at Morgan Stanley. When her boss closed deals at work it usually made the news. Anyway, being responsible for the kid was killing her. Her schedule was always fucked like going to work at 2 pm and coming home at 8. She ended up loosing that job over scheduling conflicts like her boss changing shit on a whim at the last second and getting mad when she wasn't accommodated. She got a few months severance off the books, plus unemployment.

I was helping her look for more work and it kept coming back to not helping with the kids, but she had no definable skills as far as personal assistants go which is becoming a diverse/specialized field. There's even photo personal assistants that specialize at following socialites around  taking snaps for instagram. I registered a Deleware LLC for some other consulting work I was doing, and started training her on how to use a mac, password managers, calendars, all kinds of stuff to help out with the business. We eventually both got real familiar with quickbooks, and other accounting software.

She was lucky enough to have letters of recommendation from every client she had formerly, and some of them were happy enough to re-draft them to reflect her newfound expertise with quicken, and other software, and we polished out all references to nanny work from her resume.  We'd get offers from people looking for more than what she could handle, but eventually found a couple that just needed someone responsible to help them organize their personal life and some of the finances. These people had wealth and limitless free time,  but they were so irresponsible they had bad credit and couldn't be bothered to do simple shit like pay a bill. They had 2 nannies, a driver, a cleaning lady, and some other people working for them that would sometimes go a month with no pay check because the boss went on vacation and forgot. Crazy shit, awesome stories, but I don't want to speak too poorly of them because their personal irresponsibility is my favorite thing about them, and puts food on the table.

My wife started working for them partly through the LLC, and partly entirely under the table. She automated almost all of their bills, tied their credit cards, and bank accounts into quicken and my wife keeps track of all their spending which is sometimes 6 figures a week. She's also their default tech support for everything which is hilarious. They have no clue and are amazed at how organized everything is now. They're seriously getting a lot of value out of this because they had no idea how to do this themselves, nor could you just trust/ask someone to help you out in this regard without really trusting them. My wife's been at it with them 5 months now, and literally has all of her work done in less than 2 hours a day, hangs out on her computer in the office and "drops everything" when they need something taken care of right away.

We're moving towards her working remotely most of the time, and part time (officially) next summer, so we can take on more than one client. For now she's got a guaranteed full time pay (higher than I earn + virtually tax free) until the current client's renovations are done in the Hamptons, and Tibecca next year. Then we'll probably push for 100% remote, and part time. She's picking up alot of skills doing this. She's a pro at things like booking a private jets, making sure to get the tail number and other info for the air catering company since you're usually responsible for providing your own meals etc on private planes. I honestly don't know how these people made it this far without her, and this city is full of people like them. With my wife's long history of working for these types in trusted positions, I'm hoping we can get a few clients like this together for her, and just work remotely while we stack crypto someplace fully off grid.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1
  • Props 2

@MercerWow man, what an awesome freakin story... Congratulations man, makes me very happy to hear someone taking the road less travel and with some smarts and unorthodox thinking, turn it in to something great. Would assume if that side gets busy enough to qualify your own full time involvement, that you'd likely slide in to that sort of thing yourself?

Also, if you guys are both stacking chips as well as it sounds like, why not get yourself a decent spread out in rural PA or VT where you can still ease in and out of the city, yet have a bit more control over your own setup?

Anyhow, good for you man... Have to catch up by phone more regularly. Thanks for sharing on here... This is the sort of thing that I hope inspires more people to pull things together and drop out of the rat race, while also improving their situation across the board.

56 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Lol @ Raven riding a horse w/ his Nikes on.

I want to get out of Austin because it's turning into a shit show here.  When you start seeing dockless scooters pop up in your city that's when you know it's time to move to the country.

Move up this way! 

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0406.thumb.JPG.728d1b7a4002f07d158c9be6eacfac43.JPG

Another early morning.  Somewhat useless fact- the July full moon is known as a full buck moon as it's about the time of year that deer start growing their antlers.  You can see this is a buck by those two knobs in front of the ears, the beginning of this year's antlers.

Edited by One Man Banned
  • Like 1