Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misteraven

The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

Damn, this topic sure strayed. 

Anyone doing any hunting now that it’s Fall? Been also trying to decide if I should over winter my ducks or just eat them. 

• LOL! 1

41 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Anyone doing any hunting now that it’s Fall? Been also trying to decide if I should over winter my ducks or just eat them. 

Coyote season is coming up soon for up around here

8 hours ago, misteraven said:

Eat those fuckers

So yesterday Fish & Game picked up their traps after two nights of nothing. They'd gotten a call about a bear a few miles away and thought maybe it had moved on as this particular bear has been ranging pretty far. They later confirm its a different bear as they got it on some camera and saw there was no radio collar, so nobody knows where it ventured. Then around 8:30pm I'm going to let my dog out for his last piss of the night, flip on the outside lights as I open the door and catch a huge dark blur about 25 feet in front of the door. Huge thing that spins and charges to the tree line and then sounded like stampede of elephants breaking through the bush. I was calling my wife over to look since she was walking by right behind me just as we hear something huge jump into the river and splash its way across and then more sounds of bushes being rustled.

Anyhow, pretty crazy experience. Even knowing we have bears, having a bunch of chickens eaten and having two traps that are the size of a small boat parked in my yard for two days, it was still a bit of a shock. It was fairly dark and had it not been for the extended sound of the thing charging through the bushes and across the river, I would have doubted even really seeing it. We did note that usually if you sweep my pasture with a flash light at night you can see the eye glow of a dozen or more deer bedded down and last night there was none.

Also, the thing was so freakin fast! I can honestly say that if it had charged in my direction instead of to the tree line, its very unlikely I could have done anything in time even with a bottle of bear spray and a shotgun about a foot beyond arms reach and a large pocket folder clipped to my pocket. Being honest with myself, even having a holstered gun on my hip probably would not have made a difference unless the thing decided to hesitate for a moment. I think to have gotten a shot off, you'd literally have had to have a shotgun in hand, safety off at the low ready and possibly, you'd have been able to bring it up and fire off a shot. It was that fast and I was that close.

In any case, pretty amazing and eye opening experience. Figured I'd keep updating you guys of the latest.

• Truth 1
  • Props 5

Crazy shit, you might have to open the door shotgun in hand, or tell Otis to hold it until morning.

• LOL! 1

Congrats on your up close & personal if that was your 1st.  I've had a few now although with Black Bears, awe inspiring to me every time.  Reading a book on bear behavior was extremely helpful for me.  Wildlife Dept around me are nice people, but just not as informative.  Now I at least feel a bit better prepared for those situations as they happen.  Good sign that the bear turned and ran.  Also good you have a sense of where- they leave various fluid trails that they and other bears follow so you might see them back in those areas.  Encourage a trail cam again, they're around $100 and you can catch some interesting stuff.  

• Like 1

Damn raven thats beautiful, are you out midwest somewhere?

15170778_1191164494310775_2792283162730116957_n.thumb.jpg.ea1dd528c49945dea0bdb5e121b364ec.jpg15578385_1228080343952523_5769140025524141289_n.jpg.f377f7d8b101c8bed9bb766c3bcdb0b0.jpg

heres that new england vibe

• Like 3

Nothing like absolutely lighting up pumpkins with bullets deep in the woods amiright

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

Flash didn't go off so not a great pic but here's one of those surprise bear moments, never ceases to inspire a little fear and a lot of awe/appreciation.  

This was roadside right out my window and the fact was not lost on me that he could easily close the distance to my window before I could put it up.

But, I kind of know him and you can see he spooked and attempted to climb a tree before cracking and crushing his way into the woods.

Shit like this always gets me amped up.

IMG_0294 copy.JPG

• Like 3

Congrats on the new path Raven!

I've always been a city creature, but now I'm "professionally homeless" as a long haul truck driver living out of my truck. The longer I do this, the more I think that getting a small home or container home on some rural property might be in my future. I've done i15 top to bottom through Montana twice now, and its jaw droppingly beautiful.  There's a rest area in Dillon that was just shockingly quiet and still at  night. No other trucks, no cell signal, 10-15 minutes between traffic on the road and this loud muffled silence. It was great. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ski Mask said:

Congrats on the new path Raven!

I've always been a city creature, but now I'm "professionally homeless" as a long haul truck driver living out of my truck. The longer I do this, the more I think that getting a small home or container home on some rural property might be in my future. I've done i15 top to bottom through Montana twice now, and its jaw droppingly beautiful.  There's a rest area in Dillon that was just shockingly quiet and still at  night. No other trucks, no cell signal, 10-15 minutes between traffic on the road and this loud muffled silence. It was great. 

Thanks man, yeah I suppose it’s not for everyone but then again, I think most just have no clue since they’ve never really had an opportunity to check it out. 

Anyhow, if you’re ever passing through again, private message me. If you got time, we’ll grab a coffee or something.

——————

So out here, we’re getting dialed in for winter. First snow was about two weeks ago and we’re seeing regular dusting at slightly higher elevations. It’s well below freezing at night so there’s a frost layer on everything each morning. Days are nice, at least when the sun is out but it’s definitely starting to dip. I prepped our raised beds for winter this weekend and am scrambling to finish up the last projects before it starts to really snow. Already out most stuff away and also trying to find time to stack up more wood since I’m way behind once again. Anyhow, it’s a ton of work, but soon enough it’ll be super shoot days (sunlight 9:30 - 4:30) and knee - waist deep in snow so plenty of time to just lay around and rest. 

Anyone else considering a move towards a more rural existence?

Any of you guys already living that life pick up any new knowledge or experience this summer / fall?

Right after I saw your post I passed my window and had the same scene, came eye to eye with the lead deer who had a mouthful of grass, was kind of funny.

• Like 1

Thought people in this thread would appreciate.  Came across someone doing what looks like some organic mushroom farming.  This is a long bag filled with some sort of medium.  Looks like a longer, thinner punching bag, and it's suspended from the ceiling with the mushrooms sprouting out all along it.

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

• Like 1

Damn, thats really fresh. Bet @Europewould dig this since he's mentioned he forages for mushrooms. Definitely need to learn more about that. Also truffles.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now