The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

On 8/21/2019 at 8:28 PM, LUGR said:

Anybody have binocular recommendations under $200? Been looking at Nikon and Vortex.

I ended up buying these. They are great. I think they have updated the model since I purchased.

A81B947C-CD85-4A0C-9A1B-81BD7B736011.jpeg

403A37CC-932F-4C1A-99EA-1C5EC66EC45A.jpeg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 2/28/2022 at 12:19 AM, One Man Banned said:

riving down the street and saw this in the middle of the road.

I see your dead deer leg and raise you an open pidgeon corpse with the head missing

IMG_7753.thumb.jpg.a40d69be2e7b58771a35c3dd4dd582da.jpg

..that's about as wildlife as it gets here in Berlin 😅

Actually we do have a lot of foxes in the city, yet I haven't seen one in a while..

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1435967346_IMG_4589copy.thumb.JPG.d8cb78cb5a04e4ccc4bf6d7df3d2760b.JPG

Thought this was cool.  Caught this coyote not far from where the ones above were seen.  I like that the coats on the ones up top fit their territory-  fields and woods, whereas this coyote spends more time in fields and his coat matches that.  Pretty much a blonde dog.  He also did an awesome pounce right after this pic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Banana for scale... found these in my ornamental garden this morning.

20220424_084008.jpg

20220424_105630.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you have a cottonwood tree there? What types of tree root systems do you think the mycelium they grew from is connected with?

I'm out here in the Front Range we've started looking, but since it's been an unusually dry spring they're few and far between. Along any stream, or gully here cottonwood trees grow naturally, not enough rainfall to support an actual forest so these are pretty much the only trees here naturally. Cottonwood root systems have been the only place I we've found morels here. Back in Pennsylvania they grew practically everywhere in the forest near hardwoods. 

@Mercernope, no cottonwcottonwoods here. I've heard so many different cues from the locals to watch for: poplars, dead poplars, dying poplars, bloodroot or trillium, bear corn, etc. They seem to grow wherever the fuck they want without rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. Those from this morning were coming up in mulch that spearmint has taken over. 

I never found morels when I lived on the front range, chanterelles, however, I have found awesome volumes of. 

‐--------‐--------------

I keep saying "this is the year" that I'll start growing fun ones in my basement, maybe this year? I dunno. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Turkey eggs are fucking delicious, fyi. Eating one feels like you ate six grocery store chicken eggs, too. Same for goose eggs. 

Only found out on this trip that people eat turkey eggs.  Don't think I could do turkey or goose, I found duck eggs to be pretty gamey.  I had goose once at some famous Chinese place and wasn't that into it so not sure I'd like the eggs.  On the other hand, I've learned to tolerate century eggs in congee and that's some weird shit so who knows.

On another note, where are some bear pics?

• Like 1