The healthy eating thread - Keto, Paleo and more...

misteraven

1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Bruh honestly I feel like that’s all a guy really needs lol. I’ve always kind of been in the school of thought that you can always just balance the shit out of everything. Eat terrible. Stay super active. Drink a shit load of booze. Drink a shit load of water. Lolol. Watch a lot of horror movies. Watch a rom com. Idfk. We have a super rad blender and I kinda married into a super high end juicer. I use none of this. Old lady used to make us ginger shots and celery juice and all that shit until she started following my garbage ass footsteps. I am 1000% addicted to

salt and sugar and I try to look into healthier shit for instance I google healthy eating for beginners who are wicked picky. Nothing but a bunch of toddler recipes come up LOL.

Juicers are a pain in the ass and only minimally increase the courics of your daily movements.

Stick to the blender.

• Truth 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Still trying to avoid dairy like the plague but it’s difficult to bake or make sauces without it.

I didn't do a lot of dairy-based sauces anyway, but have found that almond cream / milk was amazing for, say, gorgonzola sauce.

Where / how exactly do you miss it in baking?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deine Mudder said:

I didn't do a lot of dairy-based sauces anyway, but have found that almond cream / milk was amazing for, say, gorgonzola sauce.

Where / how exactly do you miss it in baking?

It’s cheese and butter specifically I miss in baking. I’m not sure what it is about baking without milk or egg but everything I make has been coming out dense, won’t cook all the way through, doesn’t rise correctly. It’s very weird. I never had these problems before I made the change. 

I think one of the big problems is people that are posting vegan recipes online are just taking regular recipes and deleting out items and either not replacing them correctly or just omitting them completely.

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

It’s cheese and butter specifically I miss in baking. I’m not sure what it is about baking without milk or egg but everything I make has been coming out dense, won’t cook all the way through, doesn’t rise correctly. It’s very weird. I never had these problems before I made the change. 

I think one of the big problems is people that are posting vegan recipes online are just taking regular recipes and deleting out items and either not replacing them correctly or just omitting them completely.

This starts to get into science but depending on what you're making milk or eggs might be needed for their proteins and other properties, and what happens to them in the cooking process.  

Someone on here will need this some day - GIF on Imgur

• Truth 1

@NightmareOnElmStreet to give a more serious response it really might help if you say what kind of foods you're into, or even what kind of more healthy foods or veggies you already like.  I might also suggest looking at types of cuisines you like and then searching for vegan versions, especially ones made by people of that culture. 

2 examples, I do love dim sum and I do love my Jamaican food.  When I was in NYC I found a vegetarian dim sum restaurant and got a lot of ideas off that.  In my area I was able to find a vegetarian Jamaican spot, and it's 💯 bomb ass shit.  Can it replace jerk chicken or curry goat?  No way.  Is it good enough/satisfying enough to eat regularly?  Hell yes.

Indian food has a lot of vegetarian options but not sure if it was you who said you don't like Indian a while ago.  If you do like it, look into it.  A lot of Indian places tend to carry more mainstream stuff that appeals to Americans, but if you can find a spot that a lot of Indian people go to you should be able to find some more vegetarian options.  I was again spoiled when I lived in NYC because they have the Curry Hill neighborhood which is like 3 blocks of Indian restaurants, found some damn good stuff like that.

I may have mentioned my disdain for Indian food around here but I can’t remember. Anyhow, I too love Jamaica foods. Grew up on it and have zero idea how there would be a good veggie alternative. But that’s not really my problem because I actually buy and enjoy lots of alternatives for the meats. 

I think my big thing is my slightly obsessive love for grinders and sammiches and fast food. But I don’t even eat it every day. Breakfast is always a quick stop option for me because I am never up early enough to hit the blender or cook anything. I don’t like apples or anything else in that department enough to just grab and eat. 

I love veggie alternatives to shit like dumplings and even some good Italian deli veggie grinders are fire. Mock chicken is primarily trash but this is all deeper off the point. A lot of this crumbles down to time for cooking of finding things that are healthier to cook that I actually want to eat. If on the rare chance I do decide to make a salad I’m already 3 steps ahead of myself for ruining it with some kind of fried chicken shredded cheese loads of ranch shit. Is this at baseline better than eating fast food and grinders and drinking beer all the damn time?? Idfk. Well I do but hey.

What day you’d about those like fancy juice delivery services?? Or even meal preps like blue apron or whatever??

5 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

I’m not sure what it is about baking without milk or egg but everything I make has been coming out dense, won’t cook all the way through, doesn’t rise correctly. It’s very weird.

I've not had problems with replacing cow milk with soy, almond etc.

Eggs are a bit more tricky to replace.

Some recipes use apple sauce for example, and it does work but you have to get the ratios right, and obviously the taste doesn't fit every recipe. I do enjoy it in this Zucchini-Banana-Bread for example: https://www.theppk.com/2013/07/zucchini-banana-bread/

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:52 PM, LUGR said:

Blend

Greek yoghurt

Spinach

Banana

Blueberries 

Oatmeal

Almond milk

That’s a basic list I always use. I’ll also throw in all sorts of other stuff on occasion like steamed sweet potatoes, mix up the frozen fruits, protein powders, mixed nuts, unsweetened coconut milk, splash of orange juice, vanilla, honey etc etc…

I was grabbing this stuff most of which I had but what’s the deal with the oatmeal?? 

• 1 month later...

Ha, yea that's a tricky one; a lot of vegan dishes are not exactly healthy (especially the ones that are just swapping the meat out for some meat-alternative, swapping the cheese out for some vegan cheese etc.)

That being said, becoming vegan can definately make you a much better / more concious cook, so if you do give a fuck and do it right you'll soon have tastier and more healthy meals, win / win 👍

• Props 1

• 2 years later...

Damn, forgot about this one and crazy to see how long I’ve been focused on clean eating. 

I’ve tried my best this last year to almost exclusively eat whole foods. Basically if it has to list ingredients, I don’t eat it (as best as I can maintain). I’m currently somewhere between Keto and Carnivore and I also try to reduce my eating window to 4 hours out of 24, meaning one meal a day, maybe a second meal about half the time. Usually lighter and try to not wait more than 4 hours after the first meal. Basically it’s fasting. 

I’ve really done a lot of study and experimenting in this regard with the hopes of giving me every possible advantage to better equip myself to deal with all the stress and anxiety in my life as well as just be healthier and happier in general. 

it’s been years since I’ve actually eaten sugar directly in anything I cook or drink. In fact, if I do happen to consume anything not a whole food, then I’ll scrutinize the label for added sugar, any fucked up ingredients and even avoid the scam ingredients like “natural flavor” since in reality there’s little oversight, no accountability and it’s a loophole to infuse a lot of nasty shit that is usually more about engineering cravings than “flavoring” anything. 

Good app for anyone interested (and on iOS) is Trash Panda: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/trash-panda-food-scanner/id1539759995

That said, consistent, meaningful exercise has still been a massive challenge for me.