The healthy eating thread - Keto, Paleo and more...

misteraven

All those smiling laughing faces having Cokes and Big Macs... I've never seen someone that happy to eat that shit in real life unless it was like a Coast Guard ship handing one to a migrant who was lost at sea for months and was just discovered.

Haha, well put!

20 cups of coffee a day (...)

I should probaly drink more water as I rarely ever drink water (unless it's the water in coffee or beer)

Oh, wow.

Yea this really sounds like you should consider drinking a bit less coffee and a bit more water

: ]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, was going to comment on that. Knew someone who drank coffee like that before, regularly. One day they start getting heart palpitations, other symptoms, went to the ER thinking it was a heart attack. Diagnosis- WAY too much coffee. Hope you're not using the coffee as a counter for depression to get you up and moving, imagine that could bite you in the ass later. Sure you know it's a diuretic too?

Its not the coffee but rather the caffeine. Coffee in itself is actually considered healthy according to many trusted sources. Personally I've been drinking a ton of tee. I start with a morning latte, but not unusual to drink 5 or 6 mugs of tea that for all intents and purposes has probably as much caffeine in it. Still a far cry from 20 I guess.

Its not the coffee but rather the caffeine. Coffee in itself is actually considered healthy according to many trusted sources. Personally I've been drinking a ton of tee. I start with a morning latte, but not unusual to drink 5 or 6 mugs of tea that for all intents and purposes has probably as much caffeine in it. Still a far cry from 20 I guess.

Well yes, but thought that was a given re: caffeine being the culprit... don't know many people who would put down 20 cups of decaf! Tea is great for you too but can also be overdone. Never felt a cup of tea the same as a cup of coffee, no idea how the caffeine levels compare, but at 5+ mugs of tea you supposedly start to push it, think the concern was about the kidneys? Wonder if other cultures pound coffee/tea the way we do, Asians definitely do not in my observations. They have some great tea.

@One Man Banned Your comment inspired me to look up the general info on consuming large amount of tea or caffeine. Seems its a bad idea to have 5+ cups regularly with high blood pressure being one of the main repercussions. It obviously varies by the amount of caffeine in the drink, with coffee being highest, followed by black tea. Green tea and most herbal tees have much less caffeine (and usually less taste as well), so you can have a bit more of that.

That said, black tea followed by coffee are the most consumed liquid besides straight water.

Smaller portions of healthier food(compared to what I used to eat) throughout the day are making me feel great. Better sleep, more energy, and the idea that I'm making the healthy/smart choice is helping my attitude. Now I just need to quit smoking!!! I know I'm over it but it's second nature.

• Like 1

Mental state definitely has a lot to do with this. Both in terms of jumping in and in terms of what you take back out.

Currently down about 27 lbs and finally seems to have stabilized. Still eating as much as I want, though admittedly I've gone hungry a couple times holding out on picking some shit up in favor of sticking to a clean diet and waiting until I can get home to my fridge.

Having a tough time finding (good) fatty foods and wondering if I'm eating way too much protein.

Yea I realise coffee isn't the best thing to consume lots of.

Haven't had issues with heart palpitations or high blood pressure. I am planning on seeing the doctor for an overall health check up. Almost 40 and not looked after myself very well over the last 25 years.

I'm still healthy and in shape which I put down to not driving and walking everywhere.

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2018 at 12:33 PM, Decyferon said:

Yea I realise coffee isn't the best thing to consume lots of.

Haven't had issues with heart palpitations or high blood pressure. I am planning on seeing the doctor for an overall health check up. Almost 40 and not looked after myself very well over the last 25 years.

I'm still healthy and in shape which I put down to not driving and walking everywhere.

This is vaguely related to this thread...I started drinking coffee about 5 years ago for supposed health benefits and to assist with intermittent fasting. My natural tolerance to caffeine is low but a typical day would be between 5-10 cups and think I became addicted to the jittery feeling. Morning anxiety slowly crept up on me and I couldn't figure out why it was happening but it became normal so I lived with.

I eventually gave up coffee completely after wanting to for over a year - but struggled because it's free at work (and so delicious). Within a few days I was going to sleep because I felt sleepy (not just because it was late and was worried about not getting enough sleep), sleeping deeper, waking up earlier more refreshed and the morning anxiety had 90% gone. It hindsight, it seems obvious but it became a normal feeling I didn't really realise what was happening. Anyway, after a couple of weeks I've gone back to a more normal sensible probably about 4 cups per week. 

So yeah, if you notice you feel like shit all the time - try cutting out any stimulants. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You could say what sort of food you're into and maybe I have some useful links for ya.

Like, really think about what you enjoy eating and what makes you feel good (instead of just "full").

Then realize you probably eat way too many carbs and too much fat and too much sugar, like 90% of the people do.

Now remove a lot of those items, and think again, what you could replace it with.

Yes it will probably lead to eating more vegetables 😅 

But you will find new kinds, and new ways of preparing them, that actually don't suck!

It will most probably also lead to cooking more yourself instead of just getting some crap.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@NightmareOnElmStreetI straight fell off my vegan shit a few weeks ago. I went and got an 8 piece bucket of fried chicken last night and ate the whole shit to myself. I felt like a complete piece of shit afterwards both physically and spiritually. 

I was cooking out of this book a lot. Everything is plant based but it would be super easy to incorporate a piece of meat into the mix, and probably make everything a little better.

E494A2F5-0D4C-4900-814F-05BA7A4F57C6.jpeg.5ae07e0a4400af1714210c28abaa1124.jpeg

I know @Mercerhas a book they cook out of that looked awesome. Hopefully he posts it again because I forget what it’s called and want to get it.

• Like 1

@mr.yuckYou did yourself a huge favor eating meat. Vegan diets are unnatural, and unless you're familiar with setting up a diet with complete proteins, it can be harmful. That's not to say going vegan isn't a healthy, I know 2 triathletes that are 100% plant based. Thing is, if you're not satisfying your bodies need for complete protein you're always going to get uncontrollable urges and fall off the wagon like this. You can't survive without them, and your body will force you to give up and eat meat on a regular basis unless you figure this out.

Again, the keyword here is "complete" protein. Not just protein alone. For example, people generally know beans are rich in proteins, but unlike animal based products which have "complete" proteins by default, beans are missing some specific crucial proteins, making them useless as a source of protein without these missing proteins. A wise vegan will tell you they need to be paired with another plant based ingredient that has these missing proteins. Good news is rice has the proteins beans are missing, so eating "beans & rice" together make a sustainable plant based meal, with complete protein. Here in the southwest, natives have a similar meal that combines lima beans, with corn. Neither corn, or lima beans have complete protein, but by combining both of these ingredients into a dish called succotash, they do.

If you want to be able to sustain a healthy plant based diet, you're going to have to figure out how to get complete proteins first, before trying to cook fancy, elaborate vegan meals. Studying up on creating plant based meals with complete protein is a must, and often overlooked by most vegans, which is why most of them cheat like you did, but secretly. Having this down you could literally be a competition level triathlete on a vegan diet. One of the former mods on 12oz is just that, 100% vegan, but healthier, and more energy than most 20 year olds and still able to train, and compete. 

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Studying up on creating plant based meals with complete protein is a must, and often overlooked by most vegans

Yea I would agree it's smart to look into this but then again it really isn't rocket science.

Nutrition experts used to think vegetarians had to eat special combinations of foods in the same meal in order to get the right amount of amino acids and protein. We now know that’s not needed. As long as you eat from a variety of food groups during the day, your body will get all the essential amino acids and nutrition it needs.

Food groups include grains (like brown rice or whole-grain bread), protein (like nuts or beans), fruits and vegetables (like blueberries or broccoli), and — if you’re not vegan — dairy (like milk or cheese).

(via https://www.rchsd.org/health-articles/what-does-getting-complete-proteins-mean-for-vegetarians/)

I was vegan for many years never worrying about complete proteins (I did do the above though, had quite a varied diet), and was healthy as fuck.

Anyways @NightmareOnElmStreetdoesn't have to turn vegan (or even vegetarian for that matter) to eat more "healthy" (though reducing meat would probably be a good choice), I think for the majority of people it's more about really avoiding all the junk, processed foods, sugary snacks and sodas etc... and, as mentioned, replacing them gradually with "better" things.

• Truth 1

@MercerThis is true. I went pretty hard for a few years. I would eat meat every 3 months or so, well because I like meat. I’ve worked eggs back into my diet and for the most part, if I eat meat at all, it’s the cuts of meat I really like, pork loin, rack of lamb, beef filet, and not just meat for the sake of eating meat. I definitely didn’t have my vegan diet hella dialed in as close as I should have. Still trying to avoid dairy like the plague but it’s difficult to bake or make sauces without it.

5 hours ago, LUGR said:

@NightmareOnElmStreetDitch the macaroni pizza and get a decent blender to get on that smoothie game.

Bruh honestly I feel like that’s all a guy really needs lol. I’ve always kind of been in the school of thought that you can always just balance the shit out of everything. Eat terrible. Stay super active. Drink a shit load of booze. Drink a shit load of water. Lolol. Watch a lot of horror movies. Watch a rom com. Idfk. We have a super rad blender and I kinda married into a super high end juicer. I use none of this. Old lady used to make us ginger shots and celery juice and all that shit until she started following my garbage ass footsteps. I am 1000% addicted to

salt and sugar and I try to look into healthier shit for instance I google healthy eating for beginners who are wicked picky. Nothing but a bunch of toddler recipes come up LOL.

• LOL! 1

Blend

Greek yoghurt

Spinach

Banana

Blueberries 

Oatmeal

Almond milk

That’s a basic list I always use. I’ll also throw in all sorts of other stuff on occasion like steamed sweet potatoes, mix up the frozen fruits, protein powders, mixed nuts, unsweetened coconut milk, splash of orange juice, vanilla, honey etc etc…

• Like 2
  • Truth 1